autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

What pads for Porter Cable 7424 XP

So I am thinking of buying the Porter Cable 7424XP kit that comes with the CCS white and grey pads (2 of each). I am wondering if getting that and using it with my UC and SwirlX or should I get the Pinnacle twin combo with a CCS grey and orange pad?

Remember I am a newbie and just need the basics to keep my moderately swirled metallic grey daily driver pretty.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What pads for Porter Cable 7424 XP

Go with the wolfgang twins. Then get a 5 inch backing plate with 5.5 inch pads. Get 2-3 of each pad(orange, white, grey) Soft green and blue pads come in handy also.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jenn1270 View Post
    So I am thinking of buying the Porter Cable 7424XP kit that comes with the CCS white and grey pads (2 of each). I am wondering if getting that and using it with my UC and SwirlX or should I get the Pinnacle twin combo with a CCS grey and orange pad?

Remember I am a newbie and just need the basics to keep my moderately swirled metallic grey daily driver pretty.
    you need orange and maybe yello, but atleast orange. you wil use orange the most. i have yellow, orange, white, and grey. all ill ever really need. all 6.5"
    17 Tucson | 2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium PP | 89 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-10

@TheRealPolisher on FaceBook | @green2kgt on IG

Post Thanks / Like

I needed to use orange pads to correct the paint on my BMW with the wolfgang twins. The WG TSR and a white pad at a speed of 5 on a new PCXP wasn't aggressive enough.

What you need will depend on level of correction required and hardness of your paint. There are many more knowledgable than me, so I suggest that you read through the various threads for more expert opinion.

I cleaned my pads throughout the process with the XMI pad cleaner spray and used the equivalent of 3-4 6.5" pads for the TSR step. I also used a couple of 4" pads with a 3 1/2" backing plate to complete a 528 sports wagon.

Post Thanks / Like

If your talking about this kit: If you’re in the market for a dual action polisher, look no further than the Porter Cable 7424!, that's a good one to start with. The pad sizes are the best for that particular machine and you should be able to do some decent correction with the polishes you already have. Try those polishes first because buying from Autogeek can become very, very addictive!

This kit is an even better value: Wolfgang Duo & Porter Cable 7424XP FREE BONUS, unfortunately it only comes with two pads so you'd probably want to invest in a 6-pack of 5.5" pads. You can also ask for the pads in the kit to be changed to the 5.5" size without a problem. If I were you, I would ask for the two pads with the kit to be changed to 2 orange 5.5" pads and the 6-pack kit can look something like, 2 orange, 2 white, and 2 gray pads.
    Enrique - Amateur Detailer Extraordinaire
    "Man is an emotional animal, occasionally rational; and through his feelings he can be deceived to his heart's content." - Durant

Mike Phillips

Lots of good information and recommendations in this thread, this particular comment hit the nail on the head.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt_s View Post

What you need will depend on level of correction required and hardness of your paint. There are many more knowledgeable than me, so I suggest that you read through the various threads for more expert opinion.

The most important thing to remember when first starting out is to do s Test Spot and dial-in and prove your system to one small area before going over the entire car.

Tips and Techniques for using the PC 7424XP Dual Action Polisher to remove Below Surface Defects

This has a video of doing a test spot using a Flex 3401 but the same idea applies no matter how you do your test spot by hand or machine and if by machine any type of machine.

How to do a Test Spot using the Flex 3401