If you could only choose one complete “system”?

CanadianBacon

Reaction score
You have one choice. One brand to use for your home or business. Interior but especially exterior. Who would it be?

I think compounds are way more subjective as there are so many different scenarios and no person should be loyal to just one brand. But coatings, reloaders, primers etc..it’s unlikely any small business can afford to keep 10 different options on the shelf.

I’m done having mismatched products and I’m looking to try a whole product line. I like the ability to use products in a way that compliments each other by design. I like to know things are built to work together, and I’m a sucker for branding. So far I have it narrowed down to CarPro or Gyeon.

What’s your ride or die?

CarPro gets my vote. The continually add and update products. Solid line. Huron is solid but I feel the compounds and polish’s aren’t up to par with CarPro.

Meguiar's

You know, I’m so surprised they don’t have a proper ceramic line considering what an industry powerhouse they are. Top shelf compounds, cleaners etc. It’s disappointing because I think they make some of the best products.

If I had to choose just one, it would be Carpro, I have a lot of NV products at the moment, but as they get used up, I'll probably be looking at Carpro replacements for them, could take a while though.

Sent from my motorola edge 20 fusion using Tapatalk

You know, I’m so surprised they don’t have a proper ceramic line considering what an industry powerhouse they are. Top shelf compounds, cleaners etc. It’s disappointing because I think they make some of the best products.

You'll probably need a whole new garage to fit the entire Meguiar's line! :laughing:

This is something I have thought about a lot lately. To be frank, I think the likes of Meguiar's, Mothers, Turtle Wax ect have missed the boat and would really struggle to sell a proper ceramic line. This is not because they wouldn't make a great product, just that it would be very hard for those brands to sell premium products to both the enthusiast and professional user.

Firstly, at a retail level, I don't believe Meguiar's could put a ceramic coating on the shelf at a big-box retailer. Using a wax is very different to using a ceramic coating, so selling something like this to the occasional user could get quite messy for Meguiar's. Then when you think about the enthusiast consumer, we tend to look elsewhere for ceramic coatings...........mostly based on brand image to be completely honest.

So, Meguiar's are then left to sell this as a professional product, and again, brand image and marketability comes into question. Does a pro want to offer their customers a Meguiar's coating or will they better be able to "sell" a Gtechniq, Gyeon or Carpro ect coating to a potential customer?

Finally, price. Meguiar's are seen as a value driven company. A ceramic coating is going to be priced accordingly and be fair way north of a traditional bottle of wax. That's going to be a hard hurdle for them to overcome. Brand perceptions are hard to change. Meguiar's have previous grievance in this arena, their Hybrid Paint Coating is a hard sell at its price point over and above a bottle of wax sitting on the same shelf for a fraction of the price.

This is in no way dissing Meguiar's, they make good products at good prices. I do however think it's probably best they stay in their lane.

This is a question that is very hard to answer for a product junkie like me!

There are a few brands I default to the most; Carpro, Gyeon, Koch Chemie and P&S.

Because P&S lack a truly good soap, then sadly they would be out first.

Choosing which would go next is difficult, but it would be Koch Chemie despite me loving GSF and would happily drink it if it was safe to do so!

Between Carpro and Gyeon, despite using Gyeon products the most recently, I think it would ultimately end up being Carpro sitting at number one..........only just. Reset would be playing a large part of that decision, as would ECH20, Perl and InnerQD.

Based of the previous mentioned Reset being better than Bathe and Essence better than primer I’d go CarPro.

For interior I would go a Gyeon.

You truly would be happy with either but I don’t believe one manufacturer makes every category best in class product.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For me one single brand would be very restricted because some of the really good brands don't make a rinse less wash. So in that context it would have to be Carpro and even DIY with their simple lineup. Still not sure about the spray polish, looks messy.

That said labocosmetica makes a lot of great cleaning products in concentrated form. Much better value than carpro.

If i were to sell all my compounds and polishes i would probably give Scholl's concepts system a try. For a complete paint correction system. Oberk has a nice and simple system too.

However, I will never use one brand i would just find it too boring frankly. Like Koch Chemie's greenstar is another high value product.

This question goes against my most basic philosophy when it comes choosing products. I actually prefer a cabinet full of different brands because it allows me to use the products that work best for me regardless of the label on the bottle rather than having to compromise on some things simply to stay "in-brand"

However, for the sake of discussion, I'll bite: I'll joint the chorus of others and say CarPro. I've never used their polishes, but other than Elixr, I've never been totally disappointed with anything I've tried from them.

My experience using different product lines is no where as extensive as most of you. I consider my a "prosumer" and only experiment with readily available products sold locally. With that said, over the years I seem to have gravitated toward Meguiar's products almost exclusively. I seem to be able to find exactly what I need for any small project without having to spend a fortune and their products seem to be labeled in plain English letting me know exactly what I should expect from the product. If I find something of theirs that doesn't do what I was expecting it to do there is usually another variation of the same product/process in their line.

If it were one brand as your question suggests then it would be Meguiars. Griots has good products and breadth of products and of course CarPro makes great products but doesn’t have full end to end. But Meguiars is the most complete line with enzyme cleaners and cleaners I don’t even know about. And the Meguiars Hybrid Coating seems to hold up for 18-24 months. Meguiar’s products are normally good and the prices are also good.

But if I were a business, I’d really focus on individual products and market my knowledge of the market and that I pick the best products for a given job with P&S having a very good interior cleaner for instance. And then I’d utilize one of the top ceramic coatings marketed towards professionals (intelligent marketing, not 7/10 year coatings) so customers can’t easily look up the cost of CQuartz 3.0 for instance and then complain that my prices are too high.

But between Gyeon and CarPro, you can’t go wrong but I’d choose CarPro as their products are better in general as referenced to the fact that CQuartz 3.0 hasn’t needed to be reformulated in a while and is still one of the top dogs though they also had CQuartz TiO2 that didn’t last long so they have issues sometimes too.

Optimum first choice.

Meg's second.

Carpro third.

The list used to be the other way around but lately Optimum has been my go-to.

Meguiar's. They are the brand that really got me in the hobby. I was a huge Megs guy, like the Adam's guys are with that camp. But for years I had to get some Megs products in the US because they didn't sell these products in the Canadian market for whatever reasons. Was never a big deal until they closed the boarders during Cold19. Then I started branching out to other brands.
You know, I feel that when people stay brand loyal they kind of put small walls up and sort of close off from other brands.... in a sense. When you open the door wide open you get flooded with the vast size of the detail market, it's LARGE!
I feel so many brands offer such good products it really is hard to go wrong. I have said it many times, a large majority of the population give their rides a "detail" going through the drive-through car wash at the gas station a few times a year, so anyone going steps over that is a win.

Now with that, yes, Meguiar's is the one that started it all for me. So couple the years of brand loyalty with the vast selection of products in their lines, I would have a Meguiar's banner hanging in the garage.......except they haven't sold those banners for years now...:doh: .......:laughing:

....and for a 2nd choice Polish Angel, cause it makes me feel special.:D

Longtime OPT user but I’m testing out CarPro and Gyeon. I have one car wearing CanCoat Evo and another wearing CQUK 3.0. I’m using most of the system on each respectively. Each has its pros and cons and overall I really like both. Haven’t made a final call yet.

And then I’d utilize one of the top ceramic coatings marketed towards professionals (intelligent marketing, not 7/10 year coatings) so customers can’t easily look up the cost of CQuartz 3.0 for instance and then complain that my prices are too high.

What brands are you thinking of?

Also you have me wandering how many ppl try to upcharge on coatings.

As for me i charge for what it costs for the coating...i dont upcharge

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

What brands are you thinking of?

Also you have me wandering how many ppl try to upcharge on coatings.

As for me i charge for what it costs for the coating...i dont upcharge

I’m not a business so I don’t know or really care about any commercial coatings. Not so much charging but we know how long it takes to do the job right, which is polishing, prep, and coating. That is a lot of time and effort. So even without an upcharge, the labor will be, what, 10+ times more than the cost of 30/50ml of CQuartz 3.0 for example. It is just easier not having the customer know what the price is of the coating so that they don’t do any mental math on what is product vs labor. I’d still be able to show the value but it would be easier if there was some ambiguity there. Not saying trying to hide it but we know $1,000 MIGHT be a reasonable price for polishing and coating but if the customer sees the coating is $75, that is a different thought than not knowing the true price of a professional-only coating. Just marketing and perceptions involved.

Back