Cleaning brand new tires before first dressing?

raysaint

Reaction score
Just read an old thread on here about tire cleaners, a product test and review by a member (DFB).

He said to use P&S Undressed to strip down old dirty tires I guess, not sure if that does the job I'm asking about.
Then he said to use Tarminator to strip away all the things that are in/on a new tire, before the first dressing.

I have brand new Nokians here, want to clean them properly before having them mounted on the rims.
Then I'll dress them.

Your thoughts appreciated as always.
Thanks.

That procedure is the way I’m going to prep mine. Enjoy.

Subscribed. I have 3 new sets of tires waiting for 1st dressing. One thing I read is to let them breath a couple months before dressing to release all the mold agents.

Just read an old thread on here about tire cleaners, a product test and review by a member (DFB).

He said to use P&S Undressed to strip down old dirty tires I guess, not sure if that does the job I'm asking about.
Then he said to use Tarminator to strip away all the things that are in/on a new tire, before the first dressing.

I have brand new Nokians here, want to clean them properly before having them mounted on the rims.
Then I'll dress them.

Your thoughts appreciated as always.
Thanks.

I use that method when preparing brand new tires, or giving an older set a refresh. In your case, I would have the tires mounted first so that you don't have to re-clean them to remove the fitting soap.

1. Scrub the tires with a dedicated tire cleaner such Adam's Rubber & Tire Cleaner, P&S Undressed, Shine Supply Wise Guy or Tuff Shine Tire Cleaner.

2. Dry the tires with air or a B-grade towel.

3. You have two product options with this step, the use of Stoner's Tarminator or Mineral Spirits. Both do the same job, but Tarminator doesn't dry out the rubber like Mineral Spirits can do. Contrary to what you might think, the oils within Tarminator provide a foundation for your tire dressing.

To use, choose a B-grade towel, you will destroy this towel so choose carefully. Apply Tarminator to the towel, not the directly onto the sidewall, then rub the tire aggressively. Reapply Tarminator as needed. As you move around the tire, you'll find the Tarminator flashes away quite quickly, revealing a perfectly clean, stripped surface.

4. Once finished, there is no need to remove or rinse the tire of Tarminator like you would on painted surfaces. Be careful of matte finished wheels as Tarminator can stain those surfaces.

5. Dress the tires as normal. Most tires are at least a month or two old by the time they end up in customer hands, so you really don't need to let them off gas.

In the past, I have had people question this off-label usage of Tarminator, but I've been doing this for many years now without detrimental effect. And as mentioned, using Tarminator to do this job over Mineral Spirits seems to be safer as it won't prematurely dry out the rubber. Also keep in mind this is something you might only ever do once or twice over the life of the tire.

The big question is though, will you be de-nibbing the sidewalls........................................:props:

Subscribed. I have 3 new sets of tires waiting for 1st dressing. One thing I read is to let them breath a couple months before dressing to release all the mold agents.

This is my method of new tire prep too. I let nature run it's course to let the mold release agents and any rim lube used by the tire shop wear off. I don't think I' let them go two months, but do go several weeks for sure.

So if I wait a few weeks before first dressing, can I still go ahead and clean them now? Or wait until mold agents release before first cleaning.

If I can clean them now, I'll bring them home after mounting, and coat the barrels, and lay them down to clean/strip.

I use that method when preparing brand new tires, or giving an older set a refresh. In your case, I would have the tires mounted first so that you don't have to re-clean them to remove the fitting soap.

1. Scrub the tires with a dedicated tire cleaner such Adam's Rubber & Tire Cleaner, P&S Undressed, Shine Supply Wise Guy or Tuff Shine Tire Cleaner.

2. Dry the tires with air or a B-grade towel.

3. You have two product options with this step, the use of Stoner's Tarminator or Mineral Spirits. Both do the same job, but Tarminator doesn't dry out the rubber like Mineral Spirits can do. Contrary to what you might think, the oils within Tarminator provide a foundation for your tire dressing.

To use, choose a B-grade towel, you will destroy this towel so choose carefully. Apply Tarminator to the towel, not the directly onto the sidewall, then rub the tire aggressively. Reapply Tarminator as needed. As you move around the tire, you'll find the Tarminator flashes away quite quickly, revealing a perfectly clean, stripped surface.

4. Once finished, there is no need to remove or rinse the tire of Tarminator like you would on painted surfaces. Be careful of matte finished wheels as Tarminator can stain those surfaces.

5. Dress the tires as normal. Most tires are at least a month or two old by the time they end up in customer hands, so you really don't need to let them off gas.

In the past, I have had people question this off-label usage of Tarminator, but I've been doing this for many years now without detrimental effect. And as mentioned, using Tarminator to do this job over Mineral Spirits seems to be safer as it won't prematurely dry out the rubber. Also keep in mind this is something you might only ever do once or twice over the life of the tire.

The big question is though, will you be de-nibbing the sidewalls........................................:props:

Denibbing looks like a blade scraper job, would I do that first before cleaning/stripping?

So if I wait a few weeks before first dressing, can I still go ahead and clean them now? Or wait until mold agents release before first cleaning.

If I can clean them now, I'll bring them home after mounting, and coat the barrels, and lay them down to clean/strip.

I wouldn't bother waiting, as mentioned tires are usually a couple of months old by the time you get them, and even then, I've had an extremely fresh set of tires that I did the above process straight away with no issues. I guess if they had come off the production line and you had them the next day, you'd probably wait a bit.

Denibbing looks like a blade scraper job, would I do that first before cleaning/stripping?

You can do it before or after deep cleaning, but definitely before applying a dressing as they become far too slippery.

I pull a little tension on the nib and then touch it with a razor blade. Fingernail clippers or a set of pliers works too, but I find the razor blade does the job better.

Of course, we are talking about a completely pointless endeavor here, but trust me, once you see it done, you'll never go back.

So as mentioned in my other thread about wheel weights, I'm having the rubber mounted on the rims and balanced, bring them home, then finish coating the barrels, clean/strip the rubber, have the tires then installed on the car, then first dressing.

Denibbing is more than I want to do, however, I'll maybe give it a try with needle nose and exacto knife.

I would wait awhile as I believe how the releasing of the mold and browning are brand, compound and environment related.

I’ve read where others have used tarminator on new tires and still had brewing tires.

And just because DFB has had a good reaction to tarminator and others haven’t had nothing to do with whether you will have issues are not.

They’re thousands of tires with different compounds and DFB and others may have only seen 1 to maybe 20 different ones? Remember when you watch you tube videos or read threads you are getting their opinions on there experiences.

With as many different variables you could have a whole different experience.

They will have a combination of of variables
different tires
different compounds (same manufacturer can use different ones)
different weather (heat, acidity of rain)
Road film
Type of mold release agent (silicone or non)

More I’m sure I’m not listing. I have seen trusted and valued members argue over the different efficacy’s of product. Someone would say it’s amazing… some said they got horrible results.

I think both were right. It’s how it reacted to THEIR environment.

Funny I’ve read where people state mold release agent is releasing and protecting tires from mold (a fungus) when it is Infact something they put in manufacturing process to release tires from the molds they use to make them.

All these could play a difference on how the cleaners will react to the mold release agents. Also knowing a lot about foams (rubber is very similar) different quality products off gas at different rates.

You may be safe to clean and apply something right away but what is worse?

Having naked tires for 4-8 weeks or dealing with the trouble (pain in the ass) of trying to remove all that and do again?

I would go ahead and clean now with tarminator, clean weekly/bi weekly with different tire cleaner and coat in 4-8 weeks

Also from Mike Phillips when asked about cleaning a tire for a coating which I believe works for dressings.

7d1bc6189ff396c1babd0f4be06c30a7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would wait awhile as I believe how the releasing of the mold and browning are brand, compound and environment related.

I’ve read where others have used tarminator on new tires and still had brewing tires.

And just because DFB has had a good reaction to tarminator and others haven’t had nothing to do with whether you will have issues are not.

They’re thousands of tires with different compounds and DFB and others may have only seen 1 to maybe 20 different ones? Remember when you watch you tube videos or read threads you are getting their opinions on there experiences.

With as many different variables you could have a whole different experience.

They will have a combination of of variables
different tires
different compounds (same manufacturer can use different ones)
different weather (heat, acidity of rain)
Road film
Type of mold release agent (silicone or non)

More I’m sure I’m not listing. I have seen trusted and valued members argue over the different efficacy’s of product. Someone would say it’s amazing… some said they got horrible results.

I think both were right. It’s how it reacted to THEIR environment.

Funny I’ve read where people state mold release agent is releasing and protecting tires from mold (a fungus) when it is Infact something they put in manufacturing process to release tires from the molds they use to make them.

All these could play a difference on how the cleaners will react to the mold release agents. Also knowing a lot about foams (rubber is very similar) different quality products off gas at different rates.

You may be safe to clean and apply something right away but what is worse?

Having naked tires for 4-8 weeks or dealing with the trouble (pain in the ass) of trying to remove all that and do again?

I would go ahead and clean now with tarminator, clean weekly/bi weekly with different tire cleaner and coat in 4-8 weeks

Also from Mike Phillips when asked about cleaning a tire for a coating which I believe works for dressings.

7d1bc6189ff396c1babd0f4be06c30a7.jpg

Lots of food for thought. I generally like to play it safe, so I'll probably bring the mounted wheels home, finish coating the rims, clean the rubber as best as I can, have the wheels installed on he car and drive them for a month before first dressing.
During that month I'll just keep the rubber clean with Brake Buster, then try Tarminator on one, if OK, finally dress them.
With so many variables, how can anyone feel secure about a process. If my process isn't perfect, main thing is to not damage anything or have a problem to correct. I'm sure the dressing will be just fine with any of your suggestions. You guys usually speak from experience, and I like that.
Maybe I'll watch Mike's video on machine cleaning, never heard of it.

Lots of food for thought. I generally like to play it safe, so I'll probably bring the mounted wheels home, finish coating the rims, clean the rubber as best as I can, have the wheels installed on he car and drive them for a month before first dressing.
During that month I'll just keep the rubber clean with Brake Buster, then try Tarminator on one, if OK, finally dress them.
With so many variables, how can anyone feel secure about a process. If my process isn't perfect, main thing is to not damage anything or have a problem to correct. I'm sure the dressing will be just fine with any of your suggestions. You guys usually speak from experience, and I like that.
Maybe I'll watch Mike's video on machine cleaning, never heard of it.

Best tool for cleaning tires Detail factory tire brush by hand. I deep clean with a drill brush. Your process sounds similar to what I did.

Two sets of tires are 3-4 months old. Just didn’t dress them in winter. Agreed it probably been OK to coat earlier but I know waiting to long won’t hurt anything…. Not waiting long enough might.

bad weather and didn’t have tire cleaning drill charge. So will hopefully do this week.

I use to overthink things too. Now just take my time and enjoy the details.

I overthink most things, and strive for perfection; we all know the downsides of that.
heard a good advice comment recently on TV; don't let perfect be the enemy of good.

After finishing the Gtechniq C5 coating of the rim barrels, gonna do whole rim with a layer of Wetcoat. Layering has to be helpful in my opinion.
Rubber will get Darkside, then some old Wolfgang gel I have kicking around. It's actually more liquid than gel now.

Back