Detailed info on Clear Coats and DA use?

willowcat11

Reaction score
More and more I have family and others who want their cars detailed, but are Weary of the use of a DA in the removal of swirls, and minor defects. So much so that they'd rather I not use it, and just use a cleaner wax, even though most times this doesn't remove everything.

And because of my lack of knowledge, I haven't felt too confident in explaining to them what actually goes on with the paint when compounding and polishing and what affect this has on the clear coat.

I ONLY know the basics in starting with the LEAST Aggressive Approach, and then move up from there if needed.

I really have no idea how much clear coat is being polished away when Compounding or Polishing the paint.

I don't know how to tell if the compounding or polishing is going too far, and how to make a decision, to NOT compound or Polish, in fear that it might polish away the clear coat.

How safe REALLY is compounding and polishing on clear coats? And how can I better understand and explain to others what is really going on when comp./Pol. and how they can feel safe knowing that it won't damage the coat?

Anything would be very helpful!

Thankyou guys and have a great one!

Ray

Make the investment and attend Mike's 3 day class. Ask your family members to help sponsor you and commit to detail their vehicles 3 x's a year for free for one year for the sponsorship to Mike's class. Small investment for them and your future. Tell them you'll pay 50% of the cost.

Or buy both of Mike's books and read away. It really clears things up.

Or invest in a paint gauge.

Go to a body shop and get a hood or trunk and do one side only 50/50 style.Show the work to them and tell them that a swirl remover is very safe. Also let them know if they don't remove contaminants and just leave them the paint will get worse.

Thanks for all the help guys! I think I'm going to start out by reading over the books like Genesis Coupe stated, to get a taste of what's going on, and then go from there.

Wing Commander, that is an excellent idea, and something I will be hunting down. No Risks! I won't be practicing on any ones car!

Custmsprty, that is an excellent suggestion, just right now, that's not feasible for me. So I'm going to go over the books first.

Thanks a ton, and have a great week guys!

Ray

@Willowcat. If you're unable to get a free panel from a body shop, you can easily pick 1 up from the junkjard. I bought the hood that's currently on my car for $40. TBO I've been meaning to pickup another 1 because they make great for practicing on. If you decide to pick 1 from the junkyard keep in mind that Toyota, Honda, and similar Japanese imports usually have soft paint.. If you want something you can really sink your teeth into, choose a GM vehicle. I recommend picking a hood from a Cadillac. Not only will it be among the largest test panel, but Cadillacs generally have hard paint.

You can mess around and throw everything you've got and then some at it [including wet sanding] until you remove/re instill/remove/re instill and repeat, until you eventually burn through the clear coat.. Not only will you learn technique, but you'll gain a better idea of how much paint you're really removing during a normal compound session. Plus it makes for a great 50/50 display when you tape it down the middle.

Remember, a hood is a hood, and they'll all be $40. Might as well get the most bang for your buck and pickup an extra large 1 with paint that can challenge you. Just my 2 cents.

They are not afraid of the machine they are afraid of you due to your lack of experience. Once you prove yourself they will be lined up waiting their turn.

Mike p class or book is full of everything you need to get started.

You guys are Awesome! Thanks for all this help. To the Junk Yard I shall go!

Adios!

Ray

Go to a local body shop and get a panel for free.

Yep, body shops won't try to straiten out much metal anymore. I'm sure it's just too time consuming. They just buy fresh panels and repaint. Sometimes you can find a hood that's only taken a light hit and still has a lot of good surface area to polish.

I think metal working is becoming a lost art form. :(

Back