Meguiar's Ultimate Wash and Wax Anywhere

DavidAl

Reaction score
Hello all,

I just purchased this waterless wash and upon reading the instructions, I noticed it says "Not to use on flat, matte or satin finishes." I have a Subaru Crosstek. Isn't the black plastic textured trim that goes all around the lower part of the car, matte? Would this product be safe to use on that trim?

Thanks.

I suspect the problem is not that the product would damage the plastic, but that it might add an unwanted shine due to the polymers. I'd simply not use it on the plastic if you have concerns (or just do a test spot). I certainly get overspray on the black plastic bedrails on my Toyota pickup and have never noticed any issues.

Also, you don't need to worry about scratching/swirling plastic trim. Just use a damp towel to wipe down the plastic and limit the Megs product to the paint. Then use a trim specific product (dressing) on the plastic.

Hello all,

I just purchased this waterless wash and upon reading the instructions, I noticed it says "Not to use on flat, matte or satin finishes." I have a Subaru Crosstek. Isn't the black plastic textured trim that goes all around the lower part of the car, matte? Would this product be safe to use on that trim?

Thanks.

Hi DavidAl, fellow Subie owner here (3 Subies). You shouldn't have any issues with any of the plastics & trims.

I believe the matte finish they are referring to is the special paint you'd see on some exotics, high-end vehicles, and probably wrapped vehicles. Some companies have specific cleaners for those.

Hello all,

Thanks.

I think Meguiar's is referring to matte paint, i.e. Lamborghini's, matte vinyl wraps, and matte vinyl decals (racing stripes). I don't think you will have a problem with plastic trim.

I suppose you could say that the unpainted
textured trim has a "matte" finish...but, IMO,
that's not the "matte" automotive components
that's being referenced in this Meguiar's product
description to avoid.

As such...(again IMO):
What little bit of gloss that may be provided by
the inclusion of: "Trade Secret Conditioners"; or,
even by the teeniest amount (if any), of propylene
glycol...formulated into Meguiar's UW&WA...won't
be physically detrimental to said textured trim.

In fact:
You may see it as being visually pleasing.

Bob

^^ Agreed. I just went to the garage and sprayed some on my "textured plastic" bed rails because I was curious. It has a minimal darkening effect. One could lean toward calling it a slight shine, but that would be a stretch.

Back