Homemade carpet extractor??

I've seen one or two guys on this forum that have if that helps.

It is not hard to do.
It will take some trial and error.
It will also take effort to get all the logistics worked out.
You need to decide if you want a basic exctractor, or a hot water exctractor.

Start with a a good shop vac (Wet&Dry Vacuum).
Consider the size of the hose you will need as well as the size of the unit for base cart placement and fitting.
Get a good specific wet nozzle.
Not sure what they are called: Gulper Nozzle or Wet&Dry Nozzle, something else?
Some are specifically made to intake large amounts of water, and can make a wet carpet dry very quickly.

For a basic extractor, simply use a 2 gallon pump sprayer in tandem with the Shop Vac.
You will need to attach the wand with sprayer to the under side extension hose of the Shop Vac.
Some simple hose clamps, or even duct tape, can do the job.
I suggest using one of the hard plastic shop vac extension tubes for this.
Measure out the hose and pump spray line (for the pump spray wand) to make sure everything is placed for function and convenience.
You will need to find some type of mini cart to house both the Shop Vac and Pump Sprayer.
Consider the two bucket rolling set-up for a good base to house everything.

For hot water extraction, I suggest using a steamer in tandem with the shop vacuum.
You will need to attach the wand of the steamer underneath the shop vac hose (hard plastic extension tube recommended).
Measure out the steamer hose, as well as the shop vac hose and attachments.
Line everything up and secure the steamer wand underneath the shop vac extension tube, spaced correctly.
Make sure to find a good base cart to stage both machines.
The biggest logistical issue with this set-up will be having two electrical cords, as well as the logistics of electrical capacity to plug everything up.
You will need a generator that can handle the electrical capacity, or two electrical sockets, preferably on two different circuits so the breaker does not trip on you.

Since I'm doing work for friends and family as a hobby and not wanting to invest a ton of money right away, I've found that using my carpet cleaner made for interior home carpets with the hose attachment with Folex on it works fairly well. I have seen some cases where i wasn't able to completely remove a stain from cloth seats, but it took out a good 80-90%. After this, I will go over the seats or carpet with my shop vac and have good success with this.

Again, I don't know how others feel about this method, but given that I'm not looking to invest a ton of money on a dedicated machine, I'm able to make it work for my needs for the time being.

Since I'm doing work for friends and family as a hobby and not wanting to invest a ton of money right away, I've found that using my carpet cleaner made for interior home carpets with the hose attachment with Folex on it works fairly well. I have seen some cases where i wasn't able to completely remove a stain from cloth seats, but it took out a good 80-90%. After this, I will go over the seats or carpet with my shop vac and have good success with this.

Again, I don't know how others feel about this method, but given that I'm not looking to invest a ton of money on a dedicated machine, I'm able to make it work for my needs for the time being.

You and I musta gone to the same school. I do EXACTLY the same thing.

Bill

While its not a true extractor or steam cleaner, I have found using my McCullough 1385 with the "scraper" attachment flipped upside down so the steam is fired into the carpet has worked FANTASTIC lately. Using a back and forth motion while injecting the steam into the carpet has been working very well. I use ONR in my steamer so I am getting some cleaning from the steam, then I follow with my shop vac to suck up any residual moisture. The only sections I have had to pretreat were some salt stained areas of the driver side of the car last night.

Back