PDA

View Full Version : Newbie to serious detailing, of course I have questions.

parapraxis24
05-16-2016, 01:20 PM
So I've detailed my cars in the past with Mequiars products, and was generally happy with the results. Lately I've discovered Griot's Garage brand, and have been happy with their wheel cleaner and leather 3-in-1 so I'm going into this with those products at the ready and here's what I've bought:

Cleaning clay, one-step sealant, spray wax and cleaner wax. Car is a 2014 Ford Fiesta ST in Ingot Silver, I know boring color but I like that it makes the FiST blend in really easily, everyone leaves me alone including the 5-0. I bought it last April with 8k miles on it, and in that time I've only been able to do spray on waxes and one use of the cleaner wax after washing. I live in an apartment, so I have to use one of those you wash it places to do my detailing, don't worry I only use their pressure hose and nothing else. I want to give it a really nice detail as it is outside 24/7, plus it does have some swirls and water marks in the paint. Upside to silver is they can only be seen in the right light.

I know the process is: wash, dry, clay/rinse, sealant, wax (optional). How long do I need to let the sealant sit before hitting it with spray wax? Since the sealant is supposed to last a good while, the spray wax would be a part of my regular quick detail process. Should I use the cleaner wax during my full detail process (I bought it before getting the clay and sealant)? All of this will be done by hand, there are not any power outlets for an orbital buffer so keep that in mind.

Thanks for all of your help!

Obligatory picture after a recent wash:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/0h_Zg4v3R9DRP-bBg11Ern3J9H3cWubtCSnTKEuJ0Dl8B4lqJjX2dP8gIubnbsTK NG1jLj3b26owW3brXOsrTREnBJm_0TpzWT1jQzv4XB9m6p5onD KntkRFyGYeypH6lbw_LR7mGSlf0IahftGdKr5cooT5-LCdYZfnY-PXzry4kiJ0BlfpLUV-3bBA2QuecMKpDRpS_m0qvu2Kr5LlN3cam_-YHC63i6PmxWz4upL7V8y1mQM1O1RcEefA2zRuBLU4WG6U-IItFbuJvdS3AYI_lzs3R6EjlF5aeLdFjzSycLZngONSChsECte E19pVePy20WLteaZb3hqnA-j4QvXu-d28RQkME1cDAIV6A4G1PRzvGTxURzBftie-MoJVAjz2bohDhLU-dq1kKV7e9n5S-orqFuvmc9kppKf1zuSs35hn1geUvwAnW0SeU5j4IVD3tpIJIOP GFqAwAVT3X15G6Vh7J1HGIp0dh9ZFpjavdRC14_2Hvf7LtQ14K CRZ8b-IS6CXTya1I780w8azJLWcpdfl_vlId3E8SnbGxZ_adZplnRcsV lTzRUGEr3GAQV3Ip0WcoUscAMegFeNVq68QfKLoV1k6=w2166-h1622-no

J2016
05-16-2016, 03:21 PM
Welcome to the Forum!

It depends on the sealant. The instructions should tell you. Regarding the cleaner wax, based on my research you should not use it if you are using a sealant. Since sealants lasts longer they should be applied to the clear coat first (to a clean paint). Then you could use a wax (pure wax only, without any cleaners). However yours is a cleaner wax so you would be removing the sealant along with it. You could however use a spray wax after, as long as it does not have any cleaning properties.

Desertnate
05-16-2016, 03:50 PM
Rather than messing with a cleaner wax, I'd use a polish to take care of any correction. One you have the paint in the desired condition, I'd hit it with a good sealant to protect the paint.

I use a spray wax as a drying aid since I live in an area with no shade. In your scenario, I wouldn't hit the sealant with a spray wax until the next time you washed the car. By then the sealant has had more than enough time to cure, assuming you wash roughly once every week or two like most here.

parapraxis24
05-16-2016, 04:05 PM
Thanks for the response! It looks like from the Q&A page on Griot's website that they recommend a full 24 hours to cure before waxing over it. I suppose then the spray wax will just be my regular washing touch up since they claim the sealant lasts up to a year.

And you're right about the cleaner wax, looks like I wasted some money on that one since the sealant seems to offer better cleaning and protection properties, oh well maybe I can sell it on craigslist.

parapraxis24
05-16-2016, 04:09 PM
Rather than messing with a cleaner wax, I'd use a polish to take care of any correction. One you have the paint in the desired condition, I'd hit it with a good sealant to protect the paint.

I use a spray wax as a drying aid since I live in an area with no shade. In your scenario, I wouldn't hit the sealant with a spray wax until the next time you washed the car. By then the sealant has had more than enough time to cure, assuming you wash roughly once every week or two like most here.

The car is almost two years old, so I'm hoping that the one-step sealant I have will take care of the swirls and water spots, they don't look to be too bad, plus again silver car they are hard to see anyway.

I wash my car like every three weeks or so, it's an adventure to drive up to the car wash, plus I have to do it at night since the car bakes in the Florida sun all day. I don't take it as seriously as some of you I'm sure, just enough that the car should look fairly clean still a decade or so later (I hope anyway).

shadwell
05-16-2016, 06:59 PM
If you are unable to machine polish to correct your swirls, and would like a glossier result, perhaps a glaze after the wash and clay, then apply the sealant.. poorboys receives good feedback..
Sealant can in some saces improve very light swirl, but arguably the glaze will give you the best result for your situation..

Oh and yes you absolutely should correct the car after having bought all thenecessary equipment and a 200m extension lead.. (just getting it in before someone else gives you that super helpful advice ?!?!?)

All the best.

MattPersman
05-17-2016, 05:24 AM
I'd probably try prima amigo in your case you clean it up a little by hand, then you can top with epic or hydro (since you like " spray waxes")