PDA

View Full Version : Detailing boo boo (w/ PC)

mr2clean
10-16-2007, 12:39 AM
Ok I didn't think this could be done, but I some how marred the paint on a car with my porter cable ( light pressure). I was just applying pinnacle fine swirl remover, and after I wiped the residue I saw a few marks left over. I was quite pissed. Anyways since its such a small amount what do you all recommend to remove the marring.

Its on a spoiler, so its a plastic surface and curved.

Thanks,
Dimitri

budman3
10-16-2007, 09:16 AM
Use a clean pad and towel and go at it again with the Pinnacle or a slightly more abrasive product. It sounds like you had dirt or product build up on your pad or towel. Or the surfacce wasn't cleaned all the way. Marring is very easy to do with a PC, burning paint, on the other hand, is very difficult.

scottgt
10-16-2007, 10:38 AM
what pad were you using..you might need to use a light polishing pad

makdaddy626
10-16-2007, 12:57 PM
Did you actually do damage with a PC or did it just not correct everything?

mr2clean
10-16-2007, 03:23 PM
I actually did damage with the PC. My bad some of info I gave was incorrect. I was using the itermediate swirl remover, and orange cutting pad. I did go over it again with the same polish, and used the yellow pad, but it only got rid of a lil bit of it. Should I just put more pressure or buy a compound?

budman3
10-16-2007, 04:21 PM
You're still being quite vague. Marring is a typical swirl that is easily removed. What type of pads are you using? Just stating the color means nothing to us because each manufacturer uses a different color. I think you are using Lake Country pads because their light cut is orange. If this is the case, using the Yellow pad was a bad move... because its a cutting pad. You will always want to use the least aggressive method as possible. If it is light marring like it seems like, the light cut (orange pad) would have been more than enough to remove it. There's a great possibility that the yellow pad induced more marring making it look like its still there... try a polishing pad and go at it again. A picture would help a ton ...

mr2clean
10-16-2007, 06:51 PM
I think you were confused by what I said. I used the orange pad with the intermediate swirl polish by pinnacle! The mars occured on the spoiler of the car when I was using the PC and orange pad. I did attempt to use the orange pad and polish again, but noticed no changes. Afterward I used the yellow pad (yes I know this is a deeper cutting pad) to see if I could take the marring out. The yellow pad did take some of the marring out but not much.

mr2clean
10-16-2007, 07:04 PM
I started thinking of ways I could describe the damage. It looks like tiny lil circles that are linked together with a very lite indentation.

scottgt
10-16-2007, 07:51 PM
ok, after you use the xmt with orange or yellow pad...you need to use something like xmt 1 with a polishing pad...like the ccs white pad...you cant just use yellow and stop ...thats why you are getting those marring marks....you need to follow up with a fine polish and less agressive pad

klumzypinoy
10-16-2007, 10:11 PM
Just follow it up with a less aggressive set up, like what Scott said, XMT 1 with white polishing pad. Whichever Pinnacle product is the least aggressive, use that with a white pad (that's if you're using Lake Country pads).

Bonifax
10-17-2007, 08:47 AM
I got rid of marring after using XMT #3 and orange pad (LC) by using the same XMT#3 with the white polishing pad and then using #1 with the white pad too. I think #1 is very mild, so that is why I removed marring with the #3 by using it with a softer pad (white) and then added gloss with the same whit pad and #1. Hope this helps.

PeTrol42
10-19-2007, 02:46 AM
I started thinking of ways I could describe the damage. It looks like tiny lil circles that are linked together with a very lite indentation.

I know what you're talking about. The same kind of swirls happened to me while doing a friend's Xterra. The hood has a mean curvature and while I was going over the curve with a 5.5 inch orange pad and XMT #3 and saw those circular marks in the crease of the curvature. I think it was caused by using too big a pad to try and do that curve. I recently purchased the 4 inch pads and I'm going to see if I could get those swirls out of the crease.