PDA

View Full Version : Stains/water spots on drip rail

shagnat
05-24-2016, 08:53 PM
How can I clean what appears to be water spots off the chrome drip rails above my doors.
I'm assuming the material is plastic with a chrome overlay, but have no way to be sure.
I've tried Optimum Power Clean with no results.
What would y'all recommend.

AutowerxDetailing
05-24-2016, 11:35 PM
You need something acidic to dissolve the mineral deposits. CarPro Spotless would probably work. Even diluted wheel acid would do the trick. Optimum Power Clean has highly alkaline chemistry... full strength it's pH is something like 11. You need something on the opposite end with a pH of 1-3. I've seen people also use 0000 steel wool and glass cleaner, which polishes away the mineral deposits but leaves light marring in the chrome that is basically permanent. If the water spots are not badly etched into the surface a light polish with a foam pad and polish might take them off quickly without needing to resort to acidic cleaners.

shagnat
05-25-2016, 09:48 PM
Thanks Nicholas! I'll give that a shot...... would an AIO be an option?

AutowerxDetailing
05-25-2016, 11:31 PM

An AIO would probably work great. I've actually had great luck with HD Speed and CarPro Essence on chrome trim. Essence gives an incredible shine on chrome.

Dan K
05-26-2016, 06:33 AM

I would definitely give that a shot first. Cleaner waxes and AIO work well on those materials.

shagnat
05-26-2016, 10:34 AM
Thanks for the input Dan. :)