PDA

View Full Version : Dub wheel cleaner same as iron x?

Pages : [1] 2

DjbuddyPL
06-05-2016, 12:21 PM
Guy at pep boys sworn to me it's the same thing. What you guys think ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
06-05-2016, 12:24 PM
Not a chance.

He should stick to selling Air Fresheners.

Eldorado2k
06-05-2016, 12:26 PM
I've never used Ironx. But I've used the DUB and it appears to achieve the same results as seen by IronX. It's a shame it's getting harder and harder to find. I'm guessing the DUB line is on the chopping block.

Get it while you still can. It will work.

spielwurfel
06-05-2016, 12:26 PM
Yes, it should be the same. Actually, even other products without the color changing feature should be the same. I've been using Chemical Guys Diablo Gel on my car since it was brand new. After 20k miles, I decided to use Iron X on my wheels and guess what! Absolutely ZERO contamination. I was very pleased to see that Diablo Gel really removes iron particles, even though it doesn't have the color changing feature.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eldorado2k
06-05-2016, 12:33 PM
The results aren't fake either... DUB reacts when there's iron particles on the surface.

But if there's none, it doesn't just fake it and turn purple.. My cars paint had virtually no color change. Proud moment😌lol.

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
06-05-2016, 12:34 PM
Here is a nice review put together by Todd over on the sister site Autopia.
Throw Down: Iron Remover Comparisons (http://www.autopia.org/forums/detailing-product-reviews/44548-throw-iron-remover-comparisons.html)

Eldorado2k
06-05-2016, 12:50 PM
Not a chance.

Here is a nice review put together by Todd over on the sister site Autopia.
Throw Down: Iron Remover Comparisons (http://www.autopia.org/forums/detailing-product-reviews/44548-throw-iron-remover-comparisons.html)

Yea, there's 1 sort of major thing missing in that head to head showdown... DUB Wheel Cleaner. Lol. There's not even a mere mention of the DUB in that whole thread.
So until there's actual proof that the DUB can't compare to IronX, I'd say it's more than ok to say the DUB is comparable to IronX.

But without an actual head to head test it's just like saying Mike Tyson would've whooped Muhamid Ali. [RIP Ali]

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
06-05-2016, 01:13 PM
Ric, Im sure at the time of that thread Meguiar's DUB wheel cleaner was too new without any real world reviews/background performance of it to be included in that test. Besides, when everything thinks of the original color changing wheel cleaner what is the first product EVERYONE mentions?

This article was merely put together as a shoot out of iron removers to see how they would stack up. The Sonax Wheel Cleaner was thrown in as a wild card as it too features the color changing properties. It was quickly pointed out that it does not stack up to its opponents and excluded from further testing.

We both have our opinions however wheel cleaners should be left to cleaning wheels.

Eldorado2k
06-05-2016, 01:39 PM
Ric, Im sure at the time of that thread Meguiar's DUB wheel cleaner was too new without any real world reviews/background performance of it to be included in that test. Besides, when everything thinks of the original color changing wheel cleaner what is the first product EVERYONE mentions?

This article was merely put together as a shoot out of iron removers to see how they would stack up. The Sonax Wheel Cleaner was thrown in as a wild card as it too features the color changing properties. It was quickly pointed out that it does not stack up to its opponents and excluded from further testing.

We both have our opinions however wheel cleaners should be left to cleaning wheels.

Ok I gotcha.. My answer to your question in the 1st paragraph would be? Sonax?

After reading the rest of your post I'm certain it's Sonax. And to be honest I skimmed though that thread so fast after not seeing DUB part of the initial post in hopes of maybe finding it mentioned later in the thread.. I didn't even know about Sonax failing to measure up to the rest until reading your reply just now. BTW I'm not surprised at all. I can smell hype a mile away and I've always smelled it from all sides with that Sonax. I've seen more than a few vids on youtube of people praising it and I smh everytime at how unimpressive the results are. Not to mention the price tag on that stuff! I'll just keep quiet as I don't have anything nice to say about it. Lol.

Thanks for clearing that up. Your replies are always on point.👍🏽

swanicyouth
06-05-2016, 01:40 PM
No they are not the "same". They contain some same/similar ingredients that chelate iron - that's about it.

I used both these products on my last detail. IronX on paint - Dub on wheels.

I've read multiple threads where people tried Dub on paint, followed by IronX or similar. The consensus is IronX is SIGNIFICANTLY better at removing iron from paint - indicated by the purple color change via IronX after trying Dub.

This makes sense to me, since IronX is designed to do one thing - remove iron from paint. Whereas, Dub is designed to be a wheel cleaner with some iron removing properties.

So, to me, it's kinda like saying "are Menz FG 400 & Poor Boys Polish with Sealant the same - since they both have abrasives?"

No. They are not "the same".

Dub is a great wheel cleaner.

IronX is a great iron remover, but sucks as a wheel cleaner for "normal" cars: because it has no soap/APC component to it. So, while its great at removing iron from wheels on sports cars, it wouldn't be the first choice for a regular car with ceramic pads.

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
06-05-2016, 02:01 PM
Ok I gotcha.. My answer to your question in the 1st paragraph would be? Sonax?

Yes Sonax.

I've seen more than a few vids on youtube of people praising it and I smh everytime at how unimpressive the results are. Not to mention the price tag on that stuff! I'll just keep quiet as I don't have anything nice to say about it. Lol.

I must say, I don't really have any first hand experience with the Sonax Wheel cleaner other than a sample that was given to me at SEMA 2011 from the Sonax booth.

IME, I don't find any value in it when I can use D143 on the first round to clean the wheel AND tire and then follow up with Iron-X as I have it on hand for the paint anyways.

Thanks for clearing that up. Your replies are always on point.����

:xyxthumbs:

spazzz
06-05-2016, 04:03 PM
No they are not the "same". They contain some same/similar ingredients that chelate iron - that's about it.

I used both these products on my last detail. IronX on paint - Dub on wheels.

I've read multiple threads where people tried Dub on paint, followed by IronX or similar. The consensus is IronX is SIGNIFICANTLY better at removing iron from paint - indicated by the purple color change via IronX after trying Dub.

This makes sense to me, since IronX is designed to do one thing - remove iron from paint. Whereas, Dub is designed to be a wheel cleaner with some iron removing properties.

So, to me, it's kinda like saying "are Menz FG 400 & Poor Boys Polish with Sealant the same - since they both have abrasives?"

No. They are not "the same".

Dub is a great wheel cleaner.

IronX is a great iron remover, but sucks as a wheel cleaner for "normal" cars: because it has no soap/APC component to it. So, while its great at removing iron from wheels on sports cars, it wouldn't be the first choice for a regular car with ceramic pads.

Swanic summed it up

I used both on a white 2004 Forester 2 weeks ago and found out Iron-x is the most efficient way to go.

PiPUK
06-05-2016, 04:08 PM
Swanic mostly has it. Quite simply, the DUB product has significantly less of the active ingredient and it has it in a form which is significantly less suited for the application (aka it dries out too quickly). As swanic says, IX is very poor at breaking down traffic films and such, so it is poor as a wheel cleaner - it can't effectively remove all the non-iron rubbish so it can't get to the iron properly.

idriveblackcars
06-05-2016, 05:48 PM
Not a chance.

Why are people here so quick to knock a product they most likely never tried?

silverfox
06-05-2016, 06:03 PM
Always hated iron-x. I like the new dodo juice duo product that is a ferrous remover and clay lube in one step. No more multi step Baloney. Why not Decon and clay in one step? I use the 3D iron remover product for wheels only.