PDA

View Full Version : Starting from scratch

Pages : [1] 2

1Hunter
06-13-2016, 05:56 PM
Gentlemen,
I happen ended across this site and there seems to be a wealth of knowledge so am looking for some input. I have 3 vehicles that have been recently slightly neglected and I would like to bring the paint back to better condition. All have swirl and some scratches. They are: 2013 Lincoln MKX - ruby red metallic, 2009 BMW 535i -satire black, 2006 Dodge 2500 sport Cummins- red (don't recall actual color).

Really dont want want to spend a lot of money (subjective I realize) on this project as they don't need to be show cars. Probably need to clay bar, Polish and wax?

I want to get a DA polisher and was told to get the one from Harbor Freight - does anyone or every disagree?

Any and all input and suggestions are appreciated.

Also - what is everyone doing to keep wax off trim?

andy2485
06-13-2016, 05:59 PM
i will say, if you can afford to get a Flex, Rupes, Porter Cable, etc. do it. ebay, craigslist... I have a harbor freight DA, it does the job. its far from the best. make sure you have the right pads, and tape trip pieces.

1Hunter
06-13-2016, 06:03 PM
Crud - I failed to post - what specific products do you recommend for there vehicles? Polish, wax, pads etc...

andy2485
06-13-2016, 06:07 PM
Meguiars, honestly if you're looking just to make them look better. buy Meguiars Microfiber cutting pads, and Megs. 205. that should do a tremendous job. as for wax, thats like asking what someones favorite movie is. all depends on what kind of results you're looking for, and how much you can spend.

Eldorado2k
06-13-2016, 06:13 PM
I want to get a DA polisher and was told to get the one from Harbor Freight - does anyone or every disagree?

I agree, it will work more than fine. Just make sure to buy the backing plate separate because the 1 it comes with is junk and incompatible with the kind of pads you'll need to use for optimal results.

Purchase either this Meguiars DBP5 5" Backing Plate

http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-w67da-5-inch-backing-plate.html

Or this Lake Country 5" Backing Plate.

http://www.autogeek.net/lc43125.html

Next you'll need to buy yourself some 5" foam pads. I recommend either the Lake Country 5" Flat Foam Pads or the Meguiars Thin Foam Pads.

Meguiars Ultimate Compound and Ultimate Polish, followed by Megs Ultimate Wax is a good plan of attack + very user friendly. I think you'll be more than pleased with the results. Good luck!

ski2
06-13-2016, 06:53 PM
Before you embark on this journey into obsession I would suggest you read allot and watch as many videos as you can. Here's a list of articles and videos by Mike Phillips that can get you started (pick and choose the ones that apply to you): http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/23722-car-detailing-articles-mike-phillips.html

That being said the HF DA is OK if you don't want to spend much but you must replace the backing plate and get quality pads. So for about $80 more you can get a Griots Garage Polisher (GG6) that has all the torque you'll ever need to make polishing more enjoyable. It can handle any defect you present it and it has a lifetime warranty. It is still recommended you replace the 6" backing plate with with the 5" recommended above so you can use 5.5" pads which are more effective and can handle the curved body parts with ease and 5.5" pads are less expensive.

You may also want to pick up a 3.5" backing plate so you can use 4" pads in the tight areas such as bumpers and pillars.

Make sure you get enough pads: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/88109-how-many-pads-do-i-need-buff-out-my-car.html

I would suggest Buff & Shine pads as they are very high quality and have a recessed edge which is safer when polishing around protruding objects.

Get yourself a pile of good quality MicroFiber towels.

As far as polishing products go there are many quality brands to choose from. HD Compounds and Polishes are very user friendly, effective, easy to remove, with long working times and low to no dust. You might want to start with something like HD Adapt so you only have one product to concern yourself with. It is pad dependent so it will cut well for heavy defects, but can be used as a finishing polish with a less aggressive pads.

Good luck!!

1Hunter
06-13-2016, 11:52 PM
Thanks for all the information folks! It has all been very valuable. I wasn't sure if I going to need different products especially with the black BMW but sounds like I wont.

Eldorado2k
06-13-2016, 11:59 PM
Thanks for all the information folks! It has all been very valuable. I wasn't sure if I going to need different products especially with the black BMW but sounds like I wont.

Save the BMW for last.. And if you want to re assure yourself, pick up a bottle of Griots Garage Fast Correcting Cream just in case Ultimate Compound is quite enough to fully correct the paint.

http://www.autogeek.net/griots-boss-fast-correcting-cream.html

AZpolisher15
06-14-2016, 12:40 AM
I'd also recommend the Griots 6" polisher (GG6 as it's often called here) with 5.5" pads. It's a little more powerful than the Porter Cable-- if you're thinking of making this a hobby, you'd probably appreciate the upgrade and it's not that much more up front cost for something you'll use for years. Free AG shipping and a lifetime warranty :)

You might also check out an all in one (AIO) product like HD Speed. Guys here are getting amazing results with it and you can knock out those vehicles in one step each- polished and protected. It would give you a chance to work on your technique without worrying about multiple steps per vehicle- at least this first time around.

Eldorado2k
06-14-2016, 12:45 AM
I'd also recommend the Griots 6" polisher (GG6 as it's often called here) with 5.5" pads. It's a little more powerful than the Porter Cable

The HF DA is also a little more powerful than the Porter Cable.😉

Coopers ST
06-14-2016, 08:42 AM
By the time you buy the new backing plate you can get a different da like the GG6 that has a lifetime warranty. If you get the new backing plate though the harbor freight machine will work just fine. For products it is really hard to beat Meguiars Ultimate line. Easy to use, easy removal, and produces great results. Best of all inexpensive.

Eldorado2k
06-14-2016, 08:47 AM
By the time you buy the new backing plate you can get a different da like the GG6 that has a lifetime warranty

Yea but he'd still need to buy a 5" backing plate to replace the 1 it comes with. Lol..

PaulMys
06-14-2016, 07:34 PM
Gentlemen,
I happen ended across this site and there seems to be a wealth of knowledge so am looking for some input. I have 3 vehicles that have been recently slightly neglected and I would like to bring the paint back to better condition. All have swirl and some scratches. They are: 2013 Lincoln MKX - ruby red metallic, 2009 BMW 535i -satire black, 2006 Dodge 2500 sport Cummins- red (don't recall actual color).

Really dont want want to spend a lot of money (subjective I realize) on this project as they don't need to be show cars. Probably need to clay bar, Polish and wax?

Any and all input and suggestions are appreciated.

Also - what is everyone doing to keep wax off trim?

First, welcome to the forum!

All the advice the guys have given is right on IMO.

As for the not wanting to spend a lot, I'll just say this: Sure, there are some slightly expensive products in the AG store, but for the most part, 90% are very cost-effective. e.g, I'll use Collinite 845 which I like to use. About $18 bucks for a bottle that will last me 6+ years doing my Ram truck and wife's Jeep. That's less than $1.50 per vehicle per year.

In addition, I just purchased a 16oz. bottle of HD Speed AIO for around $15 I believe. This will easily last me 3-4 years. That's $5 or less per year.

Well, you get the picture. Many lines of products here are VERY affordable when you look at it in this way.

Hope this helps, Hunter. :D

AZpolisher15
06-14-2016, 08:24 PM
First, welcome to the forum!

All the advice the guys have given is right on IMO.

As for the not wanting to spend a lot, I'll just say this: Sure, there are some slightly expensive products in the AG store, but for the most part, 90% are very cost-effective. e.g, I'll use Collinite 845 which I like to use. About $18 bucks for a bottle that will last me 6+ years doing my Ram truck and wife's Jeep. That's less than $1.50 per vehicle per year.

In addition, I just purchased a 16oz. bottle of HD Speed AIO for around $15 I believe. This will easily last me 3-4 years. That's $5 or less per year.

Well, you get the picture. Many lines of products here are VERY affordable when you look at it in this way.

Hope this helps, Hunter. :D
And the GG6 would run you about $12.50 per vehicle per year ;)

PaulMys
06-14-2016, 08:37 PM
and the gg6 would run you about $12.50 per vehicle per year ;)

nice!! :)