PDA

View Full Version : How to detail vinyl stripes/graphics?

Pages : [1] 2

BadgerRivFan
06-20-2016, 01:02 PM
I have a friend who just purchased a new (to him) '09 C6 Corvette. He's asked me to help polish and put a coating on the car for protection and gloss.

This car has what I believe is an after market vinyl stripe package on the hood, removable roof panel, and trunk lid. Here is a photo:

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160620/fd1467cf3654bc2ab42ff8a50c2326fa.jpg

I've never detailed a car with a graphics package on it before, and had some trouble searching for tips on how to do it. Can you give me some advice on what and what not to do to make this car look as good as it deserves?

Thanks!!

BadgerRivFan
06-20-2016, 08:17 PM
72 views and nobody's detailed a car with vinyl hood stripes who can give some guidance? Wow.

Mike lambert
06-20-2016, 08:53 PM
I generally use m205 on a soft finishing pad. No pressure so as to minimize heat. The coating we use doesn't increase gloss on matte stripes and works great for uv protection.

Crispy
06-20-2016, 09:15 PM
Assuming the graphics are vinyl then here is what I did (not much success). I used green LC pads and Optimum Finish II polish. The vinyl tends to heat up so I went speed 4 on my DA. Put a coat of Opti-Seal and called it a day. The vinyl doesn't correct like paint, so your results may vary. If the are paint then same as you would polish paint (No compound's just polish and lower cut pads).

AuroraDetailing
06-20-2016, 09:19 PM
I've never bothered taking any particular care over graphics. I treat them the same as the paint, except in some instances I've had compound dry up on them and not very easy to get off. Ended up having to use detail spray and lots of repeated wiping. The only precaution would be around edges that are starting to peel up, but I've still never had an issue. Any coating is not going to stick the same, but it's a vinyl sticker and no one expects it to be as shiny as the paint.

AuroraDetailing
06-20-2016, 09:22 PM
One other thing I did notice when detailing a truck with vinyl carbon fiber look wrap on the fender flares, my exterior trim dressing made them look awesome. I have no idea how long it will last, but they were already yellowing a little and has some whitish stains on them. Looked good as new with the dressing.

BadgerRivFan
06-21-2016, 03:11 PM
Thanks so much for the comments guys!

Anyone else want to give their two cents?

FUNX650
06-21-2016, 04:25 PM
Anyone else want to give their two cents?
From the picture, the vinyl appears
to be "shiny" (vs. being matte).

If they are shiny, I'll suggest:

For the cleaning step:
Mothers Carpet & Upholstery Cleaner removes stains from automotive carpet and seats without drying out the material. (http://www.autogeek.net/motcarupclea.html)

For the (follow-up) protection step:
Mothers Protectant for Rubber, Vinyl & Plastic: Protect your vehicle's exterior and interior rubber, vinyl and plastic with Mothers durable (http://www.autogeek.net/mo5324.html)

Note:
If matte...I suggest to stick with
matte-specific products.

My 2¢

Bob

Mike lambert
06-21-2016, 04:44 PM
I would never put vinyl dressing or products like that on exterior stripes, you're just creating a mess

Klasse Act
06-21-2016, 05:31 PM
A WOWA product like Black Fire Crystal Seal is what I would cover vinyl with, or Ultima PGP+.

FUNX650
06-21-2016, 05:33 PM
I would never put vinyl dressing or products like that on exterior stripes, you're just creating a mess
Me neither!

Bob

AuroraDetailing
06-21-2016, 05:56 PM

I don't know what kind of dressing you use, but I rub all my dressing into the surface and wipe off any excess. Is not any different than applying it to any other trim on a vehicle adjacent to paint. You must not ever condition weather seals or rubber around windows or black door handles like a thorough detailer should.

Mike lambert
06-21-2016, 06:00 PM
I won't take offense to that comment, any water or solvent based dressing on exterior surfaces will run when it gets wet. I do consider myself an above average detailer sir!

AuroraDetailing
06-21-2016, 06:11 PM
I don't mean offense at all. I actually don't use any water based or solvent based dressing. I use Blue Guard II which is oil based. I've never actually applied it specifically to vinyl stripes in the middle of a painted surface, and probably wouldn't even bother if I'm putting a coating on the paint, but my observation has been that it conditions any plastic or vinyl that has changed color due to dryness. I let it sit so the surface can soak up what it needs, then wipe it all off and rub it out to a matte finish. In heavy rain you could get a little bleeding of it if you don't rub it out good, but it's no different than wiping it off the paint or glass when you first apply it and go a little wide with the brush or applicator and it wipes right off.

AuroraDetailing
06-21-2016, 06:19 PM
Just used it on my truck 3 days ago and had a really heavy rain today, and there is no bleeding.