PDA

View Full Version : Detailing hospital complex marquee signs (HELP!)

dgoll75
06-30-2016, 07:11 PM
Ok here goes. I own a Mobile Detailing business and I was contacted by the decorator for my local hospital. She found me via my wife who happens to work there. Anyhow she told me that a Mobile Detailer used to take care of all of the signs on the property for many years until about 5/6 years ago when her budget was cut for the work. They have not been touched since. Well she just got new budget approval for them to be done again and I am fairly sure the job is mine if I want it. Heres what I know (or rather don't know); they are chalky looking green paint and I can rub my finger on them and it leaves a shiny wipe mark, she has no idea what type of paint or clear coat is on them, she has no idea what products or technique was used to keep them up years ago, she has no way to get in touch with the former detailer (he retired and moved away) to find out. There are about 25 signs varying in size from 30' tall down to the small one in the picture. Has anyone ever done anything like this? What process and/or products did you use if so? Any information would be great as I really don't want to bite off more than i bargain for.

refreshauto
06-30-2016, 07:30 PM
Hadn't done any signs like that before, but m205 and a finishing microfiber is a good start. Test that out and go from there. Just follow the basic rules as if you are doing a car

Setec Astronomy
06-30-2016, 08:03 PM
Wow, Joe Fernandez did a car dealer sign that was likely a similar material, I'll see if I can find the thread. What I would watch out for is if the lettering is going to come off if you buff over it.

Here it is: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/79963-superior-shine-polishes-big-blue-honda-faded-gel-coat-what.html

Oh, sorry, that's probably not the same material, I remembered that thread more as the smaller Honda signs with the individual letters rather than the building cladding.

dgoll75
06-30-2016, 08:54 PM
Thanks guys. I remember that thread now. I believe these are all metal although I haven't put my hands on all of them yet. I think I will keep researching and likely try a few different RV and boat products and tactics. Always have m205 on board too. I get some approved test time next Thursday.

Setec Astronomy
06-30-2016, 09:05 PM
All metal? They don't have internal lights?

Sorry, I just presumed they were translucent plastic with internal lighting but I likely don't know what I'm talking about.

dgoll75
07-01-2016, 04:49 PM
I believe some do have lights and some are decals or painted lettering.