My FIRST bad interaction with customer

FreshRides

Reaction score
I have been detailing part-time for almost a year. I have never had a customer be displeased or unhappy, as I tell ALL my customers that if they notice something I missed (because I am not perfect) that they can bring the vehicle back and I'll touch-up or fix what I missed for free.

So I recently had an older retired gentleman bring me his old Buick Riviera that was in immaculate condition for a wash and wax, he wanted me to use the wax he had, which was fine. Already at that point I could tell he was more of a "his way" type of guy.

I am now getting to the point where I can't do stuff for free, and am learning to say no to the customers when they ask for simple free add-ons.

He asked me if I could vacuum his Buick after I washed and waxed it. I told him that would be extra, and he said "I'll do it myself". Well okay then, have at her, I thought to myself. For a wash and wax I am at $80.00, weather or not that's cheap or expensive, it is what it is. I live in a town of baby boomers and a population of 18,000 with no full-service detail locations, or strictly detailing for that matter. Was I wrong in that situation?

Next, he brings me his wife's VW Bug and asks how much to do the interior and wash and wax on it. I explain to him that the wash and wax again was $80.00, and the interior would be around $150.00. He said "I'll do the interior myself." Well, okay then sir... I thought to myself. At that point I explained to him the clay bar process, and he was not interested.

So he brings me the VW and its a tan color. He asks me if I can try and get some black scuffs out of the rocker panels where his shoes have rubbed on them getting in the vehicle. I said that I could try. Now what I meant was, based on the service he is paying me for, that I will try to do the best I can.

Needless to say, he comes to pick up the vehicle and says "oh you didn't get those scuffs out"? And I explain to him that it would be extra because it would require me to use my polisher. At that point he seemed a little disgusted, and told me that he would use some rubbing compound when he got home because any other place would have removed them scuffs AND the severe contamination that was also there for the $80.00 that he paid. In my head I am thinking okay well if you're price shopping then you're coming to the wrong guy.

In quick effort to save my ass and hope he returns, although $80.00 wash and waxes don't even put a divot in my monthly sales, I just wanted him to be happy. I said "well sir if you would have let me explain to you, I was going to charge you $50.00 for the VW giving that it's a smaller vehicle and you brought me another vehicle last week." He said just tell her (his wife) how much to write the check for, then stampeded back to his vehicle and sat in there while his wife took care of the funds. Was I wrong here?

I am quickly learning the power of "no"....

3 cars from the guy I would take care of him.. Just me..

He will be a dick every time you see him, better off standing your ground now.

You cant please everyone. Youll always get that one person who comes in and is not happy. I think you handled it gracefully. Its a business after all.

When I see things on a car such as the scuff marks you mentioned, I will just go ahead and touch them up automatically. I already saw some pretty big scratches along side of vehicles that I buffed out without extra charge. Those small fixes are not time consuming and speak volumes for your professionalism and passion as a detailer. Now a complete paint correction on a car you would definitely increase your price. It's the little things and the details about detailing that keep customers happy and coming back.

Lastly, regardless of if you were right or he was, word of mouth is your best advertiser or your demise. If he goes and tells people in your small community you may as well close shop.

In the end you can't please everyone. Do your best and go the extra mile for the customer and the work and customers will continue.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Communication is key and stand your ground.

Give an inch,they will take a mile. Sounds like you are busy enough for him not to come back,as long as your reputation doesn't suffer. Something to consider in a small town. Nothing spreads like bad news or discontent. Stand your ground,in a nice way and he may rethink his expectations of you.

I had a situation where a customer dropped off his older Mitsubishi Eclipse. It was maroon in color and had bugs etched into the front bumper and mirror like I've never seen after a complete pressure washing and 2 bucket wash. The car looked amazing when I was finished but when he picked it up he asked why I didn't get the bugs off. I explained I did and had him feel. I could of spent 2 hours polishing out the etching. On a bumper and all the small crevices you can just imagine.

With some explanation to him, and getting him to understand all the actual bugs were removed, he was okay with it. I advised him if he wanted me to remove the etching I could for an additional fee. Communication and explaining the process to customers is imperative. Remember, their knowledge is very sub par at best when it comes to this industry. Explain it to them in Lehmans terms.

3 cars from the guy I would take care of him.. Just me..

It was 2 cars, the Buick and the VW, but I know what you mean. If I would have done decontamination I would have more than likely taken the scuffs out, but in not gonna take the scuffs out when all I did was a wash and wax.

Thanks for the info guys, I don't think that he will say anything bad as I did actually offer him and his wife to quickly take care of them before they left. I also had to explain to him, though, that with the service I did that it would not remove those.

I don't think my reputation is harmed as most of my customers now are telling me they're hearing about me from people I don't even know, and in comparison to how good I am to everyone and how thorough I am with my detailing, I don't think his word would stand over others if he said "he was trying to charge me extra for taking out scuffs".

Like I said, this was the first "bad" interaction. And the fact that I did give him a deal on a second vehicle should speak for itself. My Facebook page has 40, 5 star reviews out of 40. I greet all my customers by shaking their hand, asking their name, telling them mine, and telling them how nice it is to meet them. I always wear a smile on my face, and try to give the customer the benefit of the doubt. I honestly love my customers and appreciate them more than anything, at that point I just felt that there are some things I can't do for free. As I was planning to give the guy a deal to begin with.

What I would do for your 80$ service is to include a courtesy vac. It doesn't have to be a super detailed vacuum but just a go over to get the main stuff. Like stated above little things that may take an extra 20min is something customers love.

Or maybe automatically include the clay bar process and vacuum and up your price a bit. Look into using a nanoskin pad on your DA polisher. It cuts the decontamination process in half.

My basic express detail on a car is 125$ and takes 2-3hrs max.

Exterior washed
Tires and wheels washed and dressed
Paint decontamination process with nanoskin pad and rinseless wash as a lubricant
Hydro2 for exterior protection
Jambs cleaned
Interior and exterior windows cleaned
Carpets vacuumed
Dash gets a quick wipe.

Standing your ground is a good thing, but something as small as the scuff marks cause by shoes, you could have done that by hand in a matter of seconds ( I guess ). Always remember, do more than what your getting paid to do, and soon you'll get paid more for what your doing. I am not saying clean his interior if he doesn't want to pay, but if it's a small thing and you can fix it easilly, do it !!

With that said, the customer also sounds like a grumpy old guy that wants everything done his way

Standing your ground is a good thing, but something as small as the scuff marks cause by shoes, you could have done that by hand in a matter of seconds ( I guess ). Always remember, do more than what your getting paid to do, and soon you'll get paid more for what your doing. I am not saying clean his interior if he doesn't want to pay, but if it's a small thing and you can fix it easilly, do it !!

With that said, the customer also sounds like a grumpy old guy that wants everything done his way

Well I mean he was a super nice guy, but right away I could tell that he had high expectations but didn't want to spend the extra few bucks to even decontaminate the paint.

I do appreciate constructive criticism though. I mean, I'm all self taught. On all ends of the spectrum. No one showed me how to detail, no one showed me how to manage customers, how to communicate with them, how to word certain things. So I mean if this is the first "bad" interaction in almost a year, I think I'm doing alright.

On the plus side it's not a mistake that I made.

I always include decontamination with a Wash & Wax service.

I also use a pretty strong cleaner wax in those situations as well. This usually helps take care of things like scuffs. I also always use a polisher to apply these types of products.

In my situation, if they ask, I usually do what it takes to make it happen, just because I enjoy doing that type of service.

My old boss used to tell me that it's (business) not all dollars and cents.

Well I mean he was a super nice guy, but right away I could tell that he had high expectations but didn't want to spend the extra few bucks to even decontaminate the paint.

I do appreciate constructive criticism though. I mean, I'm all self taught. On all ends of the spectrum. No one showed me how to detail, no one showed me how to manage customers, how to communicate with them, how to word certain things. So I mean if this is the first "bad" interaction in almost a year, I think I'm doing alright.

On the plus side it's not a mistake that I made.

Sounds like you are doing well so far! We all start somewhere. As for decontaminating the paint. That shouldn't be a extra. That's a automatic process IMO that needs to be done before you polish or wax/seal any car. Waxing a car without doing the proper decontamination process isn't providing the full benefits of the wax/sealant service. Like stated in my previous post. Look into a nanoskin pad. It will make the dreaded decon process very easy. Keep up the good work.

Sounds like you are doing well so far! We all start somewhere. As for decontaminating the paint. That shouldn't be a extra. That's a automatic process IMO that needs to be done before you polish or wax/seal any car. Waxing a car without doing the proper decontamination process isn't providing the full benefits of the wax/sealant service. Like stated in my previous post. Look into a nanoskin pad. It will make the dreaded decon process very easy. Keep up the good work.

I totally 100% agree with you. I do have a package option for decontaminating that includes wax and wheels and tires and all that good stuff, but like I said. Some people don't want to pay that little bit extra. Everyone that gets a wash and wax with me I give a verbal disclaimer explaining that the proper thing to do is decontaminate the paint before putting on a wax or sealant. If they don't want it and just want a wash and wax, then I'm not gonna force them to pay for it. There are a lot of people that DO understand the value of decontaminating first though.

I have the wash and wax more for a maintenance detail, like a every couple week sort of thing, but other people still want it.

So I recently had an older retired gentleman bring me his old Buick Riviera that was in immaculate condition for a wash and wax, he wanted me to use the wax he had, which was fine. Already at that point I could tell he was more of a "his way" type of guy.
He will be a dick every time you see him, better off standing your ground now.
There are just some customers you don't want.
With that said, the customer also sounds
like a grumpy old guy that wants everything
done his way
Well I mean he was a super nice guy,
but right away I could tell that he had
high expectations but didn't want to
spend the extra few bucks to even
decontaminate the paint.
Yeah...!!! :dblthumb2:

Bob

I refuse to do a detail job without claying the vehicle. A complete and full detail requires that. I don't offer wash and wax packages.

I keep it simple
Cars:$150
Small.and regular sized suv:$200
Trucks and large Suv:$250.

All my details include:
Pressure wash, foamed, 2 bucket wash, microfiber towel dried, full clay, paint sealed, then topped with wax. Windows clayed and sealed. Tires dressed, wheels sealed, door jambs clayed and sealed, interior vacuumed and wiped down with an APC, then dash door panels, and steerimg wheel dressed and conditioned.

Engine bay detailing is an extra $50.
leather cleaning and conditioning extra $50.

Paint correction price would be determined upon size of vehicle and paint condition.

To me a wash and wax is a half ass job. Not to insult anyone. Just my opinion. That is why I refuse to offer that.

You did ok by him, and seeing you discuss the situation as you have here tells me you aren't a jackass looking to screw anybody. Customer service can be tricky. In general, if you make a good faith effort to please a customer, they'll usually recognize your efforts to work with them. For the ones that don't, there's often something wrong on their end that you can't control, and you'll never be able to meet their unreasonable demands. If you utilize a customized version of Mike P.'s VIF like we discussed elsewhere, you'll decrease the likelihood of this kind of interaction.

This graphic may give you some ideas about how to handle your customer interactions. It's from a training system initially used in another field (law enforcement), but the approach has been adapted to many other industries that involve customer interactions. If you keep those principles in mind while calmly responding to your next grumpy cat, I think you'll stand a good chance of resolving it in a way that makes them feel good about it, and you'll feel better about the result, too.

VJ-5universaltruths.gif

Back