Limited Options On Time Sensitive Water Spot Removal

Whiplash Willy

Reaction score
My car was attacked by a water sprinkler at work at some point, and was dried by the 80*F sun before I noticed. Immediately when I got home I did a thorough wash, and removed all of the spots, however I can still see some light outlines of the spotting on my windsheld, Hood, and Trunk.

I just ordered Carpros Water Spot Remove, and Optimums MDR Mineral Deposit remover, in hopes these will remove the the remaining spots.

Here is a pic of my car at home before the wash. Note that I have Optimum Gloss-Coat on the car, which I applied about 1-2 months ago.

Water%20Spots%203_zpsessrzego.jpg

Water%20Spots%204_zpsos5yusaj.jpg

I am worried that the longer I leave the remnants of the spots on the car, the more/more likely they will etch the coating, requiring me to polish them off. I would like to avoid this if at all possible. I think the Optimum MDR or Carpro Spot remover would be the best stuff to use, but I am worried that if I want from them to be delivered, it will be too late.

My question is would it be better to wait a week, and use the Optuimum and/or Carpro products, or use some other type of product that is locally available (Like Vinegar or more generic product) so that I can try and remove them this weekend?

If it were me and I didn't have any water spot cleaners readily available, I'd first try a mix of water & vinegar at 1:1. I've coated quite a few vehicles and then followed up for maintenance washes to find hard water spots. White vinegar/water usually doe the trick. Follow up with Reload or whatever you use as a booster.

So this weekend I gave it a good wash, even used OPC 1:3 on the bad areas. Tried claying, with no effect. Then I tried Vinegar diluted with distilled water 1:1, with no effect. I then tried distilled vinegar at full strength, and that didn't help either.

Here is a video of what the water spots look like now, they can't really be shown in a pic.

I am not sure if what is left of the water spots are still mineral deposits, or etching. Next weekend I will have my Optimum MDR Waterspot Remover, and Carpro Water Spot Remover, which I will try and hopefully remove the spots.

My main concern is that if there are still minerals on there, they may continue to eat through my Opti-Gloss coating, and reach my clearcoat. Do you think there might be some minerals on there after 2 thorough washes that may still be doing damage?

If the Optimum and Carpro water spot removers don't work, I am going to have to wait another couple weeks to have time to polish these spots out, and re-apply my Opti-Gloss coat, but this is my last resort, and I hope it doesn't come to that.

Hopefully Optimum MDR will work. Hopefully they are not hard spots that it will require polishing. The coating should prevent it from going to the paint. Water spotting is common on coatings.

Over the weekend I was able to try out Optimum MDR and Carpro's Water Spot Remover. I tried MDR first, and was pretty discouraged when It didn't remove the spots. Initially I was only going to buy MDR, but I figured I would give Carpro's product a shot as well. Well, I am happy I did, because I was able to completely remove all of the water spots with the CarPro Water Spot Remover!

I used a cheap meguiars yellow foam hand pad, gave it a couple of sprays with the Carpro, and worked it in for about 30 sec. After that, you could still see the outlines of the spots, but when I removed the product with ONR at Clay Lube Dilution, they wiped away and were gone! I am very impressed with how well the CarPro waterspot remover worked! I am also very happy to report that no marring, or damage to my Optimum Gloss Coat was done! It still retained its coating properties, which was something I was very worried about!

I am a Optimuim Fan, and pretty much exclusively use their stuff (Opti-Coat 2.0, Gloss Coat, ONR, OPC, Opti-Clean) and I figured their MDR was my best bet. I am surprised that it didn't have any impact on my water spots, but not all water spots are the same, and I think different water spot removers can work on some spots, and not others, so it is good to have a few different water spot removers on hand.

I do have to compliment Optimum and their Gloss Coat though, as it held up against those waterspots for 1.5 weeks, and protected my clearcoat, as well as itself from those horrible waterspots, and the products I had to use to remove them. So far, I am very impressed with the Gloss Coat. With my great success with Carpro's Water Spot Remover, I may start exploring more of their product line.

That is good news. Glad it worked out in the end.

Anyone try the Stoner Water Spot remover? It says it's made for glass but has anyone tied it on their clearcoat?

the same thing happened to me this weekend, but the temps were about 95 and the spots baked on for about 2 days. Clay, vinegar and wax did not do anything. Menzerna 3800 with a yellow rupes pad took a lot of the spots out. I ended up using Menzerna 3500 with a yellow pad and it is about 95 percent corrected. I did not have a coating on my vehical but It was freshly sealed with pinnical black lable sealant. I learned that hard water and heat is no joke at all. I am very surprised that no one has ever had a lawsuit on sprinkler system in parking lots ruining peoples paint.

Anyone try the Stoner Water Spot remover? It says it's made for glass but has anyone tied it on their clearcoat?

If it says for glass, why risk it? There are specific water spot removers for paint. Most if not all water spot removers are acid based, so be careful.

Back