Strip wax before polishing - Is the same true for a WOWA Sealant?

oneheadlite

Aug 20, 2015
Andover, MN
Hopefully this hasn't been covered over and over, I didn't find what I was looking for via search.

I understand before starting a major correction its best to strip off old waxes as part of the prep work. Does the same hold true for a spray on Wipe On Walk Away sealant (Specifically Opti Seal)?

I ask because I have a friend with a full size truck that could stand a solid clean up, but neither of us have time in the near future. Was thinking about hitting it with a surface prep mitt and a coat of Opti Seal to at least add some protection until we have time to give it proper attention. When the time comes, is it safe to proceed directly to polishing after decontaminating, or is it necessary to use something to strip the sealant?

Thanks all

John

The surface prep mitt should strip off what ever is there. If not, Opti-Seal is designed to go "through" whatever is there and bond with the paint directly.

When you polish the car later on, the polish will remove the sealant, no worries there.

Polishing the paint is the sure-fire way
to "strip" LSPs like Waxes/Sealants.

How are/were you proposing to
perform the LSP-stripping process?

Bob

Polishing the paint is the sure-fire way
to "strip" LSPs like Waxes/Sealants.

How are/were you proposing to
perform the LSP-stripping process?

Bob

I know polishing is required to strip coatings, but I wasn't sure if sealants were the same. I'm entering detailing from the Griot's realm, and maybe just as a ploy to sell product they recommend Paint Prep to strip off silicones/waxes. I believe I've heard other products mentioned on here that have a similar goal.

I wasn't sure if there was anything with a wax that would have a negative effect on the polish/polishing process. Truth be told, I haven't used the paint prep that often; I suppose the answer to my question should have come from not having noticed any ill effects in the past. This is where I figured it best to ask those who have far more experience than myself.

John

I know polishing is required to strip coatings, but I wasn't sure if sealants were the same. I'm entering detailing from the Griot's realm, and maybe just as a ploy to sell product they recommend Paint Prep to strip off silicones/waxes. I believe I've heard other products mentioned on here that have a similar goal.

I wasn't sure if there was anything with a wax that would have a negative effect on the polish/polishing process. Truth be told, I haven't used the paint prep that often; I suppose the answer to my question should have come from not having noticed any ill effects in the past. This is where I figured it best to ask those who have far more experience than myself.

John

Its been discussed many times on here that those products dont truly strip sealants. personally Ive never had an issue polishing paint even when there was still a decent lsp on it.