Another Gloss Coat Question

GMTech

Reaction score
First time putting on Gloss Coat and it is wicked hot. When I am putting it on it flashes nearly instantly. My truck has been it the garage all afternoon so the panels aren't hot to the touch but still high ambient temp, was 104 today.
I ended up using about 12 CC for my first coat. This is on a 13 crew cab Silverado.
So my questions are, is it to hot? Did I use enough? The paint doesn't feel slick but it has only been on about 20 minutes, I'm guessing once it cures it gets slick?
Sorry if this post is hard to read through, on the fly post as I am waiting for it to cool some to do a second coat with what's left. Just hoping I didn't waste $100 on this stuff.
Thanks in advance!!

12 cc's seems a little light for a Silverado. It's totally OK to wipe on, let it flash quickly and wipe off in extreme heat. As long as the panels weren't hot, the outside temps shouldn't be an issue for the coating other than flash time. As for slick, gloss coat isn't as "slick" as some waxes and synthetic sealants. Remember, the higher the surface tension the more grabby it will feel. It's almost counterintuitive. Most think the paint needs to be slick to show hydrophobic properties. It's actually the opposite if you want longevity. The pro formulas are even more grabby and less slick. Sounds like you did an ok job. Next time go a little heavier on each panel.

Great thanks! Getting ready for the second coat. Going try a suede applicator this time. Think I will focus on the front end and good the most.

You're fine. Do a double coat on the entire truck and call it a day. It will get slicker once it cures for a week.

If you have opti seal, top gloss coat after 1 hour to help protect it during the curing phase.

Darn. Don't have opti seal but plan on getting some.
Is there any way of testing if there is enough gloss coat? Water beading perhaps. Since everything has been polished I would expect good water beading but not sure. I guess i'll just have to see what happens in the next couple weeks

The beading is good. A friend of mine who used it sent me a couple beading photos. Just be sure to allow the coating to cure for 7-10 days before you wash it.

If you get opti-seal I would recommend the optimum applicator. It feels better when applying it to paint than a typical foam applicator.

http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-dual-pro-applicator.html

Looks great. That's about the way mines looks.

Like Guz said, get some Opti-seal. I just received 3 more 8 ouncers yesterday from AG via Amazon. 3 for 62something after shipping.
Opti-seal is the best drying aid I have used for Gloss Coat and amps the finish even more. I use it on everything except rubber.
No frustrating streaks or buffing.

Thanks for the answers.
I took the truck out of town today, about 4 hr drive and just for kicks brought some MF's and QD. The bugs seemed to come right off. Albeit they were pretty fresh though. Definitely seems like the slickness and shine have also improved or its in my head 😜.

Also just placed an order for opti seal to top it off and may even redo the gloss coat this fall when it's cooler. Time will tell but seems promising.
A coating just seems very odd coming from traditional waxes. Almost voodoo.

Back