Do you mostly stick with one product line, or cherrypick from multiple lines?

BigPoppa

Reaction score
And why?

Is there one company you just prefer above all others? Do you think products within a line work better together?

Thanks

I like being able to pick whichever products work best for the job at hand. It doesn't matter to me if they are different brand products. Whichever individual product works the best for whatever I'm working on is getting used.

I pretty much cherry pick my products. Example... for my light silver 2008 Nitro I like to use Griots 3-1 wax or sealant. On my 15 Escape that is dark gun metal metallic gray, I like Meg's Gold Class Carnauba wax. Interior protectant I use 303. Tire shine I use either Griots Tire Shine or Black Magic Tire gel. Depends on what you like and what works best for you.

I believe in Synergy. So, while I do have many many products, I'll try my best to stick to that entire line. I do multiple test spots to see what works. If I'm doing a full correction I'll start with compounds, once I find the one that works, everything else is from the same exact line. The creators of these products know them inside and out and know how to make their products work together. However, for testing purposes I'll switch and mix products. For me, I have 3 favorite companies. Blackfire, Polish Angel and Ammo.

I consider myself unbiased and willing to add a product from any maker if it really does perform as advertised/to my liking.

That being said, if you were to look at my supplies you might guess I'm favorable towards Meguiars... And yes it's true when it comes to alot of stuff such as cleaners and bulk dressings, along with car wash soap etc.. It's just flat out good + good value for my money. I've always appreciated that about Meguiars and that same honest and friendly way of treating their customers has always seemed to radiate from all Meguiars people.

I have always tried to stay with on brand, and even one line within said brand, for professional detailing.
The reality is that no one brand, or line of products, is the best at what they do.
All brands, even the most respected, make some sub par products as well.
I don't personally think it is possible to find everything you need for professional detailing within one brand name of detail products.
This alone will force you to look elsewhere, even for the enthusiast of any brand name.

I also like to product test.
Doing so gives direct first hand experience with a product, and brand name.
There is no better way to gain factual information for research purposes than to simply use a product, test it over time, in all weather and road conditions, and see what you got.

I didn't know too much about proper detailing when I first bought my truck, but I always used Meg's products.

As I learn (thanks to AGO), I've found certain products that work a little better/easier.

So, I like to "cherry pick", but no Meg's products will go to waste from my detail bag, that's for sure.

no single product line has the best of everything. although I must say mckee37 line is great for price point and provide a wide range of all products. OPT would be secondary when it comes to range and value

I basically use Meguiar's Detailer line and then have random products to supplement where I have found a better/easier product.

IE: Bug Squash, Opti-Seal, Iron-X things such as those.

I like to stay within the product line (Optimum in my case). But I am just doing it as hobby on my DD. I am however contsantly loooking for bettter performance, so I do cherry pick a lot. I decided I would stop for awhile because I ran out of room to store everything. I did an inventory and found I had 5 different tire dresssings all almost full. Time to take a pause and use up what I have (takes awhile with only one car). I keep detailed notes on the products I test and should give those a read through and rank them (over 100 and counting).

I stay with one line for specific purposes. For example, I use carpro eraser and ironx when I prepped my car for cquartz. At the same time, I do use reset shampoo for my car when I do hose and bucket wash it. I just like individual products from a lot of companies unless the product is part of a system.

no single product line has the best of everything.

:iagree:

I have tried just about every brand available and believe I've found the best product from each category (polish, sealant, pads, wax, APC, etc...) for my technique and style. I achieve my desired results from various lines. Anyone that sticks to a single product line is selling themselves short.

As Mike likes to say, find something you like & use it often. However,you may go through many product lines to find the ones you like.

Tried to stay with one (Pinnacle Natural Balance) but now also happily using Pinnacle XMT, DP (both replaced now with McKees 37), McKees 37, Griot's, Stoner, Sonax, and of course PNB.

I cherry-pick certain products that
I believe are the best for certain
tasks from multiple product-lines.

Nowadays, I can afford to cherry-pick
because I only "detail(?)" our personal
vehicles a few times a year (if then).

On the other hand, IMO:
Detailing, to be and remain as a
viable Business entity, calls for a
different approach in aquiring the
chemicals, tools, supplies, etc.

Bob

A little of both. When it comes to paint I stick with one line. For example Wolfgang sealant tends to work better with Wolfgang deep gloss Spritz and Wolfgang Instant Detail Spritz.
In other areas I'll play around, for example wheels get P21s, tires vary. leather I use something not sold by AGO. Like others have said not any one product line will have the best of everything. Most important what one person things is awesome another may just say meh.

First of all, I think the term "synergy" is misused. Synergy describes how two or more things when combined have an effect greater than the individual sum of each product. So, CarPro essence and CQuartz may be complementary, but I don't see how the two would be synergistic.

I don't believe in the claims of synergy. Sure, products may be complementary, but that doesn't mean that when using the two together that the results will consistently be better than a hybrid approach. I think this is the case for the majority of products out there. Frankly, I find that to be a marketing ploy to get consumers to stay within a product line. I don't find that objectionable, and it's perfectly reasonable to stay within a line because of ease of use, familiarity, etc. Hey, welcome to Business 101. However, to claim that you can't or shouldn't mix product lines is silly. That's my humble opinion. There are so few objective tests that compare the synergistic or complementary use of products vs. the results of using two different lines of products.

In my own case, I think Gtechniq Panel Wipe works better than IPA, Eraser, Gyeon prep. So, I use it before applying coatings of all types.

I'll use Fg400 and then finish with Rupes or with HD. I work with whatever it takes. Of course, for a long time it was always FG400 and then SF4000 and then Powerlock. It was easy, but I can't say the progression produced better results when compared to using a mix of lines.

Sent via my mobile device...

..but I don't see how the two would be synergistic.

I dunno, maybe.. like polymer strands link to like polymer strands? Just guessing.

I am a cherry picker. I use the products that suits me best when I detail. As for waxes....man I have a boatload of them in different brands. Most are paste waxes. I test them and see how they perform. The ones I keep are great for me the others I usually get rid of. The brands I have and like are Polish Angel Products, Menzerna Polishes, DG Aquawax, Blackfire Carnauba Spray wax, Poorboy's and about 15 - 20 types of paste waxes.

Either way, all what I choose are best for me and IMO the most effective in terms of detailing rides.

BTW, great post!

Back