PDA

View Full Version : No time, lazy, need advice...

eyedrop
08-06-2016, 12:25 AM
I just bought a used 2004 Corvette Z06 in black. The car was maintained very well mechanically, and it was garaged its whole life. But the exterior has spider webs, a couple deeper scratches, rock chips, etc. It definitely needs a good correction... The car has 3m film protector on the bumpers, mirrors, side skirts, etc.. I feel like I should remove it before starting a correction...

The interior is in decent shape. No tears in the seats, no scratches on plastic, headliner is good. But it all seems bare and unprotected, and everything has lost its lust.

I used to do everything myself, but I just don't have time or motivation anymore. I also don't have access to a garage which will make things difficult.

Sooo, I need help making a game plan. The goal is to keep it looking respectable with as little effort as possible. Im not planing on bringing it to car shows or anything, so its more about protection and ease of maintenance that Im after....

What Im thinking so far is pay to have it professionally detailed and corrected. Then, have them use some sort of ultra durable hard sealant to lock in the work (need suggestions). Maybe something intended for RV's or marine applications??? I need to be able to wash this black car or quick detail it as much as possible without removing the sealant. It gets dirty real quick, especially being outside.

Its basically the same story with the interior. I just want to get it fully corrected and keep it locked in for as long as possible. I don't mind vacuuming it out or wiping the dash. But I just dont have time to re apply stuff every week. Would a product like 3M Scotch Guard work on all the interior surfaces? Need suggestions...

Then I think I need to buy a car cover (need suggestions), and a windshield screen to protect the dash from AZ sun rays (need suggestions). I live in the high desert. It will see monsoons, snow, high winds, and blistering heat. So the cover needs to be heavy duty. The car will not be driven during winter...

I also need to protect the weather stripping and plastic (suggestions?). Ive used back to black before, but it only lasts like a week. Im trying to avoid having to mess with it, and Im willing to sacrifice shine for long term protection and restoration....

As far as general looks, Im not too picky but I prefer a "factory" look rather than the high gloss, wet look.

Overall, I just want to restore it to a showroom floor look (impossible, I know), then protect the crap out of it and walk away without having to worry too much. Not expecting miracles here, I know owning an older black sports car will require some work. Im just lazy and need a solution that works best for my situation...

Rsurfer
08-06-2016, 01:10 AM
I just bought a used 2004 Corvette Z06 in black. The car was maintained very well mechanically, and it was garaged its whole life. But the exterior has spider webs, a couple deeper scratches, rock chips, etc. It definitely needs a good correction... The car has 3m film protector on the bumpers, mirrors, side skirts, etc.. I feel like I should remove it before starting a correction... I would assuming that it's a few years old.

The interior is in decent shape. No tears in the seats, no scratches on plastic, headliner is good. But it all seems bare and unprotected, and everything has lost its lust.

I used to do everything myself, but I just don't have time or motivation anymore. I also don't have access to a garage which will make things difficult.

Sooo, I need help making a game plan. The goal is to keep it looking respectable with as little effort as possible. Im not planing on bringing it to car shows or anything, so its more about protection and ease of maintenance that Im after....

What Im thinking so far is pay to have it professionally detailed and corrected. Then, have them use some sort of ultra durable hard sealant to lock in the work (need suggestions). Maybe something intended for RV's or marine applications??? I need to be able to wash this black car or quick detail it as much as possible without removing the sealant. It gets dirty real quick, especially being outside.See what type of coating your detailer can do, ask for referrals and do your DD.

Its basically the same story with the interior. I just want to get it fully corrected and keep it locked in for as long as possible. I don't mind vacuuming it out or wiping the dash. But I just dont have time to re apply stuff every week. Would a product like 3M Scotch Guard work on all the interior surfaces? Need suggestions...It would, but if your seats are leather, use a good leather conditioner like Leatherique/Leather Master.

Then I think I need to buy a car cover (need suggestions), and a windshield screen to protect the dash from AZ sun rays (need suggestions). I'm against car covers, but if you must, get a Covercraft. I live in the high desert. It will see monsoons, snow, high winds, and blistering heat. So the cover needs to be heavy duty. The car will not be driven during winter... Can't you rent a storage for the winter? If the winters are as bad as you described, a car cover will be hell on your paint.

I also need to protect the weather stripping and plastic (suggestions?). Ive used back to black before, but it only lasts like a week. Im trying to avoid having to mess with it, and Im willing to sacrifice shine for long term protection and restoration.... If it's in good condition, try Car Pro's Dlux. If it's in bad condition, use Solution Finish first and top with Dlux.

As far as general looks, Im not too picky but I prefer a "factory" look rather than the high gloss, wet look.

Overall, I just want to restore it to a showroom floor look (impossible, I know), then protect the crap out of it and walk away without having to worry too much. Not expecting miracles here, I know owning an older black sports car will require some work. Im just lazy and need a solution that works best for my situation...A wax or sealant will not give you the protection you are looking for. Look into a coating that will give you 1-2+ years of protection. Again see what coatings your detailer is use to applying.

dcjredline
08-06-2016, 07:32 AM
Winter? In the desert? What kind of winter do you have that the Vette wont be driven in?

eyedrop
08-06-2016, 09:35 AM
Winter? In the desert? What kind of winter do you have that the Vette wont be driven in?

I live in Prescott AZ. The winters are somewhat mild compared to other areas. But we do still get a couple inches of snow and temps down to 5 or 10 farenheight. The winters are fairly long at 4 or 5 months.

I could technically drive it in the winter if I wanted, and I probably will on days where the snow has melted off.

Jomax
08-06-2016, 10:09 AM
Best bet is have a detailer in the Valley detail it. They can apply a coating on the exterior AND interior.

Cquartz finest will give you a 3 year warranty.

Check out

Willis(he's a forum member)

http://www.windowsandwheels.com

He's what I'd call a 5 star detailer. I don't think you'll find a detailer in AZ that'll do a BETTER job and be Cquartz finest certified.

FUNX650
08-06-2016, 11:32 AM
Best bet is have a detailer in the Valley detail it. They can apply a coating on the exterior AND interior.

Cquartz finest will give you a 3 year warranty.

Check out

Willis(he's a forum member)

Windows And Wheels Auto Detailing - Professional Auto Detailing | CQuartz Finest Installer (http://www.windowsandwheels.com)

He's what I'd call a 5 star detailer. I don't think you'll find a detailer in AZ that'll do a BETTER job and be Cquartz finest certified.
^^^ :dblthumb2: ^^^
This is what I also recommend.

Also:
Check out some of his detailing
expertise he's posted on AGO:
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/search.php?searchid=381397

Bob

Jomax
08-06-2016, 11:39 AM
^^^ :dblthumb2: ^^^
This is what I also recommend.

Also:
Check out some of his detailing
expertise he's posted on AGO:
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/search.php?searchid=381397

Bob

Link doesn't work?

FUNX650
08-06-2016, 11:49 AM
Link doesn't work?
{Strange it does for me.}

OK...
Let's try this one:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/members/wills-windowsandwheels.html

Then Click on:
"Find latest started threads"

Bob

eyedrop
08-06-2016, 05:22 PM
Okay, I just emailed the folks at Windows and Wheels asking for a quote. We will see what they say...

Judging by the pics and website, their work looks top notch. However, I looked at the "add-on" services they offer and a CQuartz finest coating costs $799, and the interior coating is $500! Im not so sure I can swing those prices right now... The shop seems to be geared towards exotics and show cars. Im not looking for anything too crazy here. Windows and Wheels is like OCD perfection. Im more looking for "good enough".

I called the local Chevy dealership as well as some other local detailing shops. All of them quoted me $150-$250 for a complete job with a normal 6 month "sealant" applied.

The used corvettes at my local Chevy dealer looked pretty good to me, good enough anyway. They seemed confident that they could remove all the surface defects, including a couple scratches that slightly catch on the fingernail. Maybe I could have them do all the prep work then supply a high quality sealant for them to apply? I noticed some name brands like Meguiars, Wolfgang, and Chemical Guys all sell some sell for around $50...

Nor Cal ZL1
08-06-2016, 05:43 PM
I would stay far far far away from the delaership detail department. They will hide the problems for a bit, but ultimately do much more harm than good.