Windshield Coated with PBL Diamond Coating now having issues

LSNAutoDetailing

Reaction score
Had a customer come to me with an issue on his recently coated vehicle.
Said the windshield was great, but now at night the on-coming cars head lights hologram.

I sent him links on what to clean the glass with (taken form Nick's article).
Pinnacle Crystal Vision Glass Cleaner w/ Water Repellent & White Waffle glass towels.

I asked what he used to clean the glas and he used Windex (and MF towels).

Windex ingredients state:

• WaterWater
  • 2-HexoxyethanolCleaning Agent
  • IsopropanolamineCleaning Agent

• Sodium Dodecylbenzene SulfonateCleaning Agent

• Lauramine OxideCleaning Agent

• Ammonium HydroxideCleaning Agent

• FragranceFragrance
  • Liquitint[SUP]®[/SUP] Sky Blue DyeDye

I'm wondering if the Isopropanolamine or other cleaning agents caused an issue with the coating.

Anyway, what is the resolve to the issue?
Machine polish with Ceriglass???? Then recoat?

Are you charging him for ceriglass.Those halograms were probably in there to begin with.I would remove the coating while he waits.He may be trying to get you to polish the glass pro bono .

I would recommend RainX Extreme Clean. Makes glass look brand new.

Are you charging him for ceriglass.Those halograms were probably in there to begin with.I would remove the coating while he waits.He may be trying to get you to polish the glass pro bono .

No, won't charge... 3peat customer... one of my best custy's...

I believe any mild polish will remove the glass coating. Such as Meguires 205. Even a compound won't do any harm to glass, it is very, very hard.

3D eraser Gel to clean it down to bare glass and then just put some opti-seal or McKee's Glass coating on it and call it a day. If there's still holograms then it's been there before you touched it.

Any polish will remove it. If you have something like McKee's glass restorer or even Duragloss nu Glass, that will remove it for sure. Then you can recoat the glass.

Did you use the paint coating on glass or the glass coating?

Ok, thanks... I stock ceriglass and will have to do that. He claims when on coming headlights hit, it creates little stars...

I didn't do this particular installation, my partner did. If I recall, she stated there was an issue with the sprayer on the bottle, so perhaps it went on too thick.
All my cars and other clients cars are coated with PBL V1 without issue... I'm just wondering if there was something in the Windex to cause issue.

Did you use the paint coating on glass or the glass coating?

I used PBL DC V1, which in sparing amounts can be used on glass according to AGO:

Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Surface Coating, paint coating, nano glass paint coating
Glass
Use Diamond Surface Coating on exterior glass surfaces to create a super slick surface that rain, sleet, and snow cannot adhere to. Since the formula goes on crystal clear, you don’t have to worry about the streaks, smear, or haze that is normally associated with conventional oil-based glass sealants. The surface tension created by Diamond Surface Coating causes water to bead up and roll off at speeds in excess of 30 mph, rendering your windshield wipers virtually unnecessary. Treated surfaces can be easily cleaned using water alone. Application on this surface lasts up to 18 months..

Back