Removing clear bra.

choijw2

Reaction score
So new owner of 10 years old lexus IS350 came in for full correction on extremely neglected paint.
But, this car has clear bar on, just front bumper and first half of bumper, which looks like installed from the factory or pre-cut made for this car judging by the edge.

Never done removing clear bra by myself, but from what I have observed, seems pretty straight forward.
Heat it up (not too much) and lift it section by section with light angle, but this one.... is extremely neglected,
there is a rock chip so bad, it went through clear bra and removed portion of paint and thats what really worries me,
lifting paints when I go through this section.

What do you guys think? should I try it myself or too risky?

but this one.... is extremely neglected,
there is a rock chip so bad, it went through clear bra and removed portion of paint and thats what really worries me,
lifting paints when I go through this section. What do you guys think? should I try it myself or too risky?

I'd definitely get a sign-off on the fact that it is in such bad shape that the owner recognizes and accepts that it's possible it could damage the paint. I might even recommend you use a steamer and pull it towards you and upward as if you are stretching it. This will greatly reduce the chances of the paint lifting.

A couple of weeks ago I ran into a similar situation. [not sure if it was better or worse than what you saw, but when I looked at this, I admittedly had a brain fart. Lol.

[on 2nd thought, this was a huge RV front end I was dealing with. It had to be worse than the car]

The owner said someone backed into his RV at a campsite or something. It looked far worse irl. This wasn't transfer, these are deep gouges that took the clearbra into the fiberglass, or whatever the front end of the RV is made of. [the deep gouging is toward the bottom left, I didnt get most of it in the picture since I was focusing on the clearbra and was thinking of posting this pic here and asking about how to go about fixing it]

View attachment 51291

The owner had a different detailer look at it a week prior and he did that hatchet job you see in the pic, then he had the nerve to bail on the job and never returned!
So the owner called me a week later and I was looking at that.. He said he had a body shop in mind and he was probably going to just take it to them... I shook my head and agreed. Lol.

The following week I returned to wash the RV and it was completely fixed. Great job by the body shop.

This is the only after pic I took of the front end.

View attachment 51292

The point is I know how you felt when you saw that nasty situation with the clearbra.

Back