PDA

View Full Version : McKee headlight restoration kit

Coopers ST
08-18-2016, 10:34 PM
Question on the McKees headlight restoration kit. I received it today, it came with a hand applicator, a small drill one, and a 5.5" da pad. The directions on the bottle aren't very clear, when do you use each pad? Do you not need all three sometimes, or just one? Thanks

dcjredline
08-19-2016, 12:17 AM
Sounds like you got the wrong pad if you really got a 5.5 pad.

I went to the site for the kit and I will copy the words on that page for you here instead of typing it all.

Here is the link anyway if you want to see the pictures to go with the words.

McKee's 37 Total Headlight Restoration Kit, how to restore headlights (http://www.autogeek.net/best-headlight-restoration-kit.html)

Lake Country 3 Inch Drill Backing Plate
The 3 Inch Drill Backing Plate by Lake Country provides a quick and easy way to polish headlight lenses and other small body panels using a standard household drill. This handy backing plate is 3 inches in diameter, making it the perfect size for 3 inch, 3.5 inch and 4 inch pads. Durable hook and loop backing material ensures your pads don’t fly off during use; ¼ inch neoprene interface allows the backing plate to conform to curves and contours.

3 1/4 Inch Thin Foamed Wool Pad
Lake Country Thin Foamed Wool Pads combine the proven durability and immense cut of the thicker style Lake Country Foamed Wool Pads in a new, 1/4 inch thickness. This makes the Thin Foamed Wool Pads a better choice for headlight restoration.

Microfiber Detailing Towel, 16 x 16 inches
Use this premium quality microfiber towel to remove McKee's 37 All In One Headlight Restoring Polish. Plush nap will not scratch delicate surfacse.

Microfiber Applicator Pad
Use this premium quality microfiber applicator to remove excess polish off surrounding body panels.

Coopers ST
08-19-2016, 08:35 AM
You are right for some reason I thought it went with the kit as I didn't order it. Turns out it was my free gift.

Octopiston
08-19-2016, 06:35 PM
I have their kit and only found the polish worth a flip, granted that was after I had to sand. Until then it wasn't cutting it. Also keep in mind that their protectant apparently isn't very durable since they have recommended applying it after each wash. Didn't know that until later or I wouldn't have messed with it.

Mike@ShineStruck
08-20-2016, 02:51 AM
I like their polish but like.me ruined above, it'll only last about 3 months or so till it reclouds without reapplying sealant

Ceramic coat is what I do now
But I have two other options to explore for sealing in clarity...one was mentioned in a thread on here
Also gong to try different wool pads and experiment, but the purple wool does do well