Fender Well Fabric Protection

LittleKing24

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I just got a new 2016 Silverado and unlike my last truck that had a plastic lining covering the whole fender well, my new one has a fabric material. My work truck also has fabric, in which a pressure washer has no problem cleaning them.

However, since my truck is new, and won't be used for work, I would like to know if there's any kind of protectant I can use to help keep the fender wells easy to clean. I thought about something along the lines of scotch guard but don't know what kind of fabric guard can hold up to exterior weather. Any suggestions? View attachment 51537

I would be interested in this as well..I think it is so stupid to use this fabric material on the fender wells...

how about 303 fabric guard?

Cheap enough to use it on place where it gets super dirty super fast from all the rocks and debris from the road.

I would be interested in this as well..I think it is so stupid to use this fabric material on the fender wells...

That's my thought exactly. My ford work truck had fabric, and now unfortunately Chevy has followed suit. You can use a garden hose and fender well brush on plastic. The only effective way to clean the fabric is by power washer. Thankfully I have one

how about 303 fabric guard?

Cheap enough to use it on place where it gets super dirty super fast from all the rocks and debris from the road.

I may have to buy this along with the CQuartz fabric coating and do some product testing. I would like to believe that the CQuartz coating is long lasting but as you said, I like the idea of being able to add protection as needed. After all, the wells will have everything on the road thrown at it, constantly

Since they will get sand blasted and contaminated 24/7, I would consider it a maintenance item rather than a set and forget item. I can't imagine CQ will survive very long in that environment, but I could be wrong. Probably have better results with 303 or a similar fabric guard used regularly.

I just do not understand the logic of Chevy & Ford doing this.

As Audios said, it's an area that gets blasted with grime, sand, mud, salt, pebbles........

And you're going to line the wells with CARPET??

What relative of the CEO was hired as a designer right out of college that came up with this "winner" of an idea??

I just got a new 2016 Silverado and
unlike my last truck that had a plastic
lining covering the whole fender well,

my new one has a fabric material.

My work truck also has fabric,
in which a pressure washer has
no problem cleaning them.

However, since my truck is new, and won't
be used for work, I would like to know if
there's any kind of protectant I can use to
help keep the fender wells easy to clean.

Any suggestions?
•GM doesn't really refer to it as being fabric
(like I think of fabrics being made from "cloths").
-The liner is still a plastic---only now it's molded
to be in a mesh form---for designated parts.

•Protection? On occasion:
-I'll spray, very sparingly, either Meguiar's
Hyper Dressing [@1:4]; Meguiar's M40; or
Optimum's Opti-Bond.

•I also keep in mind that GM, (and probably
many other OEMs as well), only need these
types of liners to last ~3 years/36,000 miles.

Bob

If it walks like fabric, and talks like fabric.............. Lol

My buddy got a new Silverado in June. After a few bouts with cleaning these wells of mud/dirt, he asked me for my Ram salesman's name.

True story. ;)

How about Carpro HydrO2? I remember seeing a Carpro YouTube video saying that you can use it on carpet wheel wells.

•GM doesn't really refer to it as being fabric
(like I think of fabrics being made from "cloths").
-The liner is still a plastic---only now it's molded
to be in a mesh form---for designated parts.

•Protection? On occasion:
-I'll spray, very sparingly, either Meguiar's
Hyper Dressing [@1:4]; Meguiar's M40; or
Optimum's Opti-Bond.

•I also keep in mind that GM, (and probably
many other OEMs as well), only need these
types of liners to last ~3 years/36,000 miles.

Bob

So it's basically a bunch of plastic fibers? You personally use dressings, but are fabric guards out of the question? The material seems like it would benefit from it, but if it is indeed a plastic, then it would make sense to use some type of rubber/ plastic vinyl protectant

Since they will get sand blasted and contaminated 24/7, I would consider it a maintenance item rather than a set and forget item. I can't imagine CQ will survive very long in that environment, but I could be wrong. Probably have better results with 303 or a similar fabric guard used regularly.

I agree with you on the longevity of the CQuartz given the abuse it will endure, but it would be interesting to do some testing to see just how it holds up against a regular protectant. I would love to do so asap but unfortunately I won't be able to make another order for a few weeks

How about Carpro HydrO2? I remember seeing a Carpro YouTube video saying that you can use it on carpet wheel wells.

If I planned on using the hydro2 on my entire truck I would definitely consider buying it.

I agree with FUNX650 aka Bob and do the same thing on the Kia with this sort of material in the rear fender wells.. I clean them by spraying APC then rinsing them, and sometime spray them with Hyper Dressing. There's really not much to them, they remain looking pretty good.

If it walks like fabric, and talks like fabric.............. Lol

My buddy got a new Silverado in June. After a few bouts with cleaning these wells of mud/dirt, he asked me for my Ram salesman's name.

True story. ;)

I can't say I blame him lol my previous Silverado('13) had a plastic liner and was very easy to clean up. My ford work truck had the fabric and I always questioned what part of it was a good idea(apparently for sound). So needless to say I wasn't too happy about the change. Hopefully a good protectant can limit the cleaning to a low pressure hose. I don't like using the pressure washer if I don't have to

Back