PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Foam Pads of HD Speed

Pages : [1] 2

1EdgeKilla
09-15-2016, 12:30 PM
Hey guys, just curious how you all are cleaning your foam pads of HD Speed or any AIO with a sealant in it. I've been using CG pad cleaner as it came with some hex logic pads I purchased a while ago and just wanted to use it up before buying something else. It however isn't getting the job done even after soaking. I've tried dawn, microfiber wash, and even Hi-Intensity with no luck. I did some reading and saw some suggest wax and grease remover as well as mineral spirits but wanted to double check what you guys thought...

Thanks!

dchristo
09-15-2016, 12:45 PM
I use meguiars app and hot water.

put on some latex gloves, spray apc on pad, kneed pad then rinse with hot water and repeat as necessary, squeeze out water lay on ww towel till dry.

LEDetailing
09-15-2016, 03:32 PM
Meguiar's Super Degreaser 4:1 worked better than Meg's APC 10:1. Go figure, higher concentration cuts through polish on pad, duh. I have not tried APC at 4:1. May be worth a shot. FYI, my tap water is set way too hot, guessing 125-130 and it works well to rinse away the polish as well. Menzerna FG400 rinses almost perfect with my hot water, no cleaner, still use a little cleaner.

Now the bigger question. How do I get rid of HD Speed's staining of the pads? That is the million dollar question. I let the stains go and don't sweat it.

WaxMaster1
09-15-2016, 03:40 PM
Now the bigger question. How do I get rid of HD Speed's staining of the pads? That is the million dollar question. I let the stains go and don't sweat it.

Ha! Mine are permanently purple

custmsprty
09-15-2016, 03:51 PM
I pre spray with pad cleaner, soak mine in hot water in the sink for 20-30 minutes squeeze them out well and then toss them in the washing machine with 3D Microfiber cleaner for a long cycle with hot water and cold water rinse and they come out great.

CC268
09-15-2016, 05:16 PM
I pre spray with pad cleaner, soak mine in hot water in the sink for 20-30 minutes squeeze them out well and then toss them in the washing machine with 3D Microfiber cleaner for a long cycle with hot water and cold water rinse and they come out great.

Interesting...never tried this..I have the LC Flat Foam pads and 3D Towel Kleen I will have to give that a shot.

mwoywod
09-15-2016, 06:12 PM
I clean my by spraying with super degreaser (4:1) massaging the pads to create a lather, then i rinse with hot water. That will not touch the speed but it will get rid of the clear coat or paint residue in the pads. Once i do that I will wrap the pad in a paper towel and squeeze the pad as hard as i possibly can. That removes a ton of` speed or whatever sealant you are trying to remove. No soaking necessary. The only thing soaking your pads in apc or degreaser will accomplish when trying to remove a sealant is separating the pad from the hook and loop backing. (especially lake country pads in my experience)

Crispy
09-15-2016, 06:30 PM
Meguiar's DynaCone Cleaner.

Spray on and let sit 2-3 minutes then let soak 15 minutes in hot water.

Rinse while kneeding the foam out of the pad (basically follow the instructiions on the bottle).

Originally developed to clean the yellow DynaCone after metal polishing (that black crap).

Works well on Optimum Poli-Seal AIO and white ThinPad Pro.

GSKR
09-15-2016, 09:08 PM
I take a hose and put the water jet nozzle right into the pad flushing out all the compound etc,step on them to squeeze water out left to dry.

1EdgeKilla
09-16-2016, 11:55 AM
I'm not talking just regular compound and polish though, the AIO's (specifically those with sealant) pose a much more difficult task of removing all the product... has anyone tried mineral spirits?

CC268
09-16-2016, 03:28 PM
I'm not talking just regular compound and polish though, the AIO's (specifically those with sealant) pose a much more difficult task of removing all the product... has anyone tried mineral spirits?

Hmm...I use HD Speed a lot and never had an issue cleaning the pads...I use dish soap and let them soak a little and then squeeze out the water, rinse, repeat. Although custmsprty's method seems like an even better method.

Crispy
09-16-2016, 04:24 PM
I tried it once and had to throw out the pad.

Could not get the mineral spirits out.

I have also used straight Apc but too expensive.

Tried Dawn Soap and that works too, but not as good as the DynaCone.

The Poli-Seal (not Opti-Seal) is oily and I usually end up with lots of product in the CCS pads (not much with the Thin Pro's).

Octopiston
09-16-2016, 04:51 PM
I have some that are stained pink from M37 360. I have tried dawn, apc, and 2 different degreasers, and wolfgang padworks cleaner and conditioner. I can get them to feel clean, but the pink remains. I just used them as dedicated aio pads now.

Sharply Dressed
09-16-2016, 11:08 PM
I soak mine in hot water mixed with oxy clean. After a day I then wash them out using dishwashing liquid and a brush. Continue rinsing til clear. Set them on a grit guard to dry.

TTQ B4U
01-01-2017, 01:47 AM
Just a follow up that 3D Towel Kleen is amazing. Bought it after reading about others using it on their MF Rags. I put a load in the wash but before leaving I thought why not soak the bucket of pads both foam and MF that I used on my last detail in it too. I didn't know what to expect but DAMN! cleans better than the dedicated pad cleaner I have been using.