Paint Restore 2009 Yaris suggestions

Crispy

Reaction score
My daughter just bought a 2009 Yaris.

I went with her to look it over and it is in good shape (low kms).

Hood is all chipped out and badly touched up.

I researched the paint and found is very thin.

Has anyone worked on similar and what precautions should be taken?

Rest of car will get AIO and wax as pre winter protection.

How do you know the paint is thin? Did you measure it with a paint gauge?

If you are going to apply a sealant (wax) after the AIO, why not use a dedicated polish, wipe down the panels with a IPA solution and add a high quality sealant? It will last much longer than a wax over an AIO and takes the same amount of time. If this were my car, I'd compound, polish, apply a sealant and make sure it's washed correctly so I won't need to do much to it after that.

My daughter just bought a 2009 Yaris.

Rest of car will get AIO and wax as pre winter protection.

I'd just AIO it to give it some good gloss and save what's left of the clear. I just did the same on my inlaw's 04 4Runner, and it seemed to close to clear coat failure.

I think I saw that you have been using Optimum Poli-Seal. I believe its protection is very good for an AIO, rivaling that of some dedicated sealants. It's a great cleaner too.

Thanks for the replies

I read on Yaris forums about the thin paint and some premature clear coat failures.

I do have a PTG but I didn't take it with me when we went to look at the car prior to buying (I didn't want to freak my daughter out thinking I was taking it's temperature ha ha).

I purposely chose an AIO, so to preserve as much clear as I can and provide some protection.

I agree if it was my own car "full monty" (wash, clay, 3 step polish, coating, sealant and Collenite 845).

My daughter knows nothing about cars, and certainly nothing about maintaining the paint.

I have lots of spray polishes I can give her and a few tips on washing, that will help keep it decent (it is after all a Toyota Yaris not a Lexus LFA).

I may go at the hood with touch up paint and some high grit sandpaper, if it's really chipped out.

I can always repaint this, if I screw up, as it is a very small panel and silver is fairly easily matched.

I'm looking at it as a good way to test some of my collection of products and pick up some "brownie points " with the daughter.

Appreciate anyone's input/recommendations, particularly on techniques and hazards to watch for.

Well went ahead and detailed this weekend.

Used my own methods since I got no advise.

Paint is 3.5 mils average.

Applied touchup to hood and burned through to primer even being carefull.

Now need to repaint or put on rallye stipes to cover.

Rest turned out great with AIO and white pad.

Back