New Car Tips

DownBy9UpBy5

Reaction score
Hello all.

I am a newly registered member of this forum. I've been pretty focused on detailing my vehicles most of my life, but I feel like I'm ready to "take it up a notch" in my vehicle maintenance.

I recently purchased a 2016 Ford Explorer Platinum edition vehicle with all of 96 miles on it. It's black body with the platinum interior leather (leather dash, leather wrapped wheel, leather wrapped doors, etc.. - Link Here). My previous vehicle was a black SUV with leather as well, but it was accented black and silver leather. I felt I did a good job, but the leather did start to crack a little and stain.

However, since I am "starting from mile 97" on this vehicle, I'd love to get input from the die-hards like yourselves on what you recommend to help in the following:

• Keeping the paint looking like new (I generally get my vehicles professionally claybarred and waxed twice a year)
  • Keeping the leather (dash and seats) in like new shape (if possible)
  • Keeping the seats clean (it's a white/silver leather)

I purchased the Leatherique Kit that I've seen quite a few people talk about in the past. My general maintenance plan is:

• Continue the twice a year clay bar and wax work (one in early fall, one in late spring spring)
  • Twice a year steam cleaning of the carpets (same time I do the wax and clay bar work)
  • Weekly cleanings of the interior (I do this already) which consist of: Dusting and sweeping leather, dusting dash, glass cleaner on screens/chrome/glass/plastic, wet rag wipe down of leather seats
  • Bi-Monthly oil and conditioning of leather (dash and seats)

I'm not worried about the above time commitments as I love doing this stuff. I just want to make sure I'm not A) Overdoing it; B) Not doing enough. I really love keeping my cars looking new and by the time I got rid of my last vehicle (7 years old) I felt it looked good, but I felt I could have done better.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Back