Mckee's 37 Wheel and Tire Cleaner vs. Megs D143

willowcat11

Reaction score
As for the actual tires, it looks like the McKee's 37 Tire and rubber cleaner is working really nice for me. I am now looking for a GREAT WHEEL cleaner.

D143 is what I used in the past. Anyone know how McKee's 37 Wheel cleaner might compare to the megs or if there is a better wheel cleaner out there. I've heard about the Iron Removers, I just don't know too much about those and if they do well on wheels.

Thank you all, and have a great Weekend!

Goooo Cubbies!

Ray

How does the McKee's Tire & Rubber cleaner compare to D143 @ cleaning tires? What are the differences?
How happy were you with D143 as a wheel cleaner?

Glad to hear you are happy with the McKee's 37 Tire & Rubber Rejuvenator. It cleans very well. For a dedicated tire cleaner it easily out cleans D143. It costs a little more so if someone is looking to go the cost effective route, then D143 is hard to beat.

I have not tried the McKee's Tire Cleaner but I believe it has an iron remover built in. Search for Nick's write up on it. He went into detail about it. Maybe once I am out of D143 I will give this one a go.

Griot's Heavy Duty Wheel cleaner works really well and is another option. It does have a color changing effect to it. It does cling really well to the wheel.

How does the McKee's Tire & Rubber cleaner compare to D143 @ cleaning tires? What are the differences?
How happy were you with D143 as a wheel cleaner?

E2K, I have been using the D143 for years, and it has been my GO-TO because it did work well, I could use it for BOTH tires and wheels, and it was cheap in cost.

I could never get rid of browning though. The M37 wipes out any Browning what-so-ever. How it does that? I don't have a clue, but it does it. It also pulls a lot more Dark Black grime off the tires. I can't tell what all the dirt was, but all's I know is, that afterwards, the tires are purely clean.

I could tell by using a Brand New YELLOW Foam applicator pad to apply WETS to the tires. And I got almost No darkening on the Yellow pad at all! Just a few teeny speckles. I can see why they recommend it before applying a protectant.

As for WHEELS, I don't think its meant for them. The grime comes off, but it takes some work. It seems to stick to the wheels.

Sounds like some pretty amazing tire cleaner. I might have to check that out.

I remembered what you guys said in this thread and did a little tire cleaning experiment today....

As The Guz knows, there's a certain tire cleaner that comes inside as part of TW Endura Tire Coating. That perticular tire cleaner has been respected to a minor degree by what seems like the small minority of people out there.. The larger majority have sort of initially rolled their eyes at it with the thought of "This little Turtle Wax Tire Cleaner? Yea sure, what a joke, right"?

I've always been neutral in my opinions of it. Neutral to the point that if/when I apply the TW Tire Coating onto a set of tires for the 1st time I will use their supplied cleaner after having done the "real" cleaning with Megs D143 or whatever... But this talk about tire cleaners along with the description of McKee's Tire & Rubber Rejuvenator made me re think things...

Since I only use the supplied TW Tire Cleaner once in a great while, I have a bunch of brand new bottles on my shelf [6 bottles compared to 2 of the actual tire coating] And the little info TW gives about the tire cleaner sort of implies that it's "superior" but it's freakin Turtle Wax, plus it sure doesn't look like much when it's applied to your tires during the cleaning stage...

But since it's boxed with a legit tire coating it's only logical that they might've actually given you a legit tire cleaner right? Well today I decided to put it to a real deal stand alone test to see if was actual quality and up to modern coating prep standards like the McKee's description describes... Holy smokes it turned out to be some real deal hidden secret tire cleaner on my shelf! Lol. This stuff actually cleaned the dirty brown off tires just like only a "quality" tire cleaner is able to do.

Talk about a pleasant surprise. Here's a picture of how clean D143 can get these tires because they forever bloom shortly after every cleaning, no matter how many times you scrub them.

View attachment 53252

Now look at how good the supplied TW Tire Cleaner got the same tires. These tires had been living with Hyper Dressing for over 2 yrs too! I've never been able to fully get it or the browning once they dry off... until now!

Look at this clean tire. The supplied TW Tire Cleaner did this! Wow. 4 applications + scrubbing with Meguiars Tire Brush. [3 would've done fine enough, but I did 4x just to get them extra sure]

View attachment 53253

Here's 1 of the rear tires after just 2x cleaning. You can see the browning's nearly at the point of losing the battle.

View attachment 53254

Thanks to you guys I learned something new about tire cleaning. Now I can step my game up! Yeeaa😄

Back