Bumper Clear Bra

Midnite8

Reaction score
I bought my 2016 Subaru WRX 1 year ago and did not get a clear bra upon delivery. I got into detailing 6 months ago and definitely regret not getting my bumper/hood clear bra. Subaru is notorious for having crappy/soft paint and my bumper is full of small divots and rock chips with 2-3 chips on my hood. Polishing the bumper probably won't get the divots/chips off but I am really wanting to get a clear bra now. Do I just spend the extra money and have it repainted or should I try out some meguiars unigrit or 3m trizact 3k sanding discs and a paint dept gauge and try that out(which seems intimidating)?

The problem with a clear bra now is the touch up paint unless perfectly leveled may leave high spots or noticable bumps. Not ideal. I have seen the 3M Paint Defender Kit, spray on clear bra, applied and it looks great. Well worth looking into IMO.

We run into this issue with a lot of cars. Put the PPF on over the OEM paint. Some imperfections will be hidden and you will have stopped the damage reoccurring. I have done some touch up on cars then installing PPF. It's a proprietary technique that we use to have a level chip or scratch without depleting the factory clear.

Would you guysbrecommend I just repaint the bumper then?

I believe PPF warranties are void on repaints. Be sure to check on that also PPF can be applied on cool to touch infrared cured paint.

We sure do install PPF over repaints and restored headlamps. As an installer of PPF I wanted to make sure people understand that the PPF warranties are void. PPF manufacturers warranty on oem finishes because of car manufacturers strict painting processes.

We sure do install PPF over repaints and restored headlamps. As an installer of PPF I wanted to make sure people understand that the PPF warranties are void.

PPF manufacturers warranty on oem finishes because of car manufacturers strict painting processes.
Many brand new OEM vehicles incur paint
and body damages while either at the
assembly plants, during loading or unloading
transports, and/or at the dealerships before
the customer drives the vehicle off the lot.

Surely, you are not trying to tell us that the
repairs to fix these damages...(again: usually
that go unreported to the customers)...are
not eligible to be covered under any PPF
manufacturers' warranties?

If you are...then you would be incorrect.

Bob

Valid point Bob. I attached a warranty card from Suntek PPF. It could be an interesting challenge if something happened to a clear bra on a non oem finish My shop gives a lifetime warranty on workmanship. However if I had a car come in that had an obvious respray. I would make note of that.

View attachment 53305

Does a non oem surface affect how PPF adheres or something? If something happened to the PPF in terms of ripping or whatever, what does that have to do with the non oem surface?

Does a non oem surface affect how
PPF adheres or something?
I've never seen that occur...
once a respray has cured.

{It probably has more to do with a
chance of pulling out any "bad" paint
repairs when trying to replace/remove
the PPF, IMO.}

If something happened to the PPF
in terms of ripping or whatever,
what does that have to do with the
non oem surface?