infrequent detailing

Torsion Tool

Reaction score
For those who don't often get a chance to seriously work on our vehicles, what do you pros and educated experienced enthusiasts recommend as a regular treatment. If it can be done only three times a year, which products are best? Am leaning towards the Klasse AIO w/wo SG, but am considering XMT, 3M, and UPP lines as well. Will top whichever with Souverain. Am I wrong, or is acrylic more durable than polymers? Is it better to start from scratch with the Edge 2000 pads, or should I buy a package with the Lake Country pads instead (need a PC as well). Plan on doing four vehicles three times a year until we move. Chime in please all Gents and Dolls before my discount expires!

Torsion Tool said:
For those who don't often get a chance to seriously work on our vehicles, what do you pros and educated experienced enthusiasts recommend as a regular treatment. If it can be done only three times a year, which products are best? Am leaning towards the Klasse AIO w/wo SG, but am considering XMT, 3M, and UPP lines as well. Will top whichever with Souverain. Am I wrong, or is acrylic more durable than polymers? Is it better to start from scratch with the Edge 2000 pads, or should I buy a package with the Lake Country pads instead (need a PC as well). Plan on doing four vehicles three times a year until we move. Chime in please all Gents and Dolls before my discount expires!

Question #1......Clay if ness, AIO, S.G........3 x year......All on a well kept car......

Bill, definitely clay after shampoo; she hasn't been polished in four years. Plan to top off with carnauba paste, it's the polish steps I most need. Sound right? Thanks.

4 years of bad habits so to say deffinitely warrants some polishing to remove defects. pick up a lineup of polishes (XMT is cheap and works great on the PC) and some pads (I prefer LC's, but i've never used edge) and have at it.

as for your lsp's, AIO/(insert sealant here)x3/collinite 845 insulator wax will most definitely last you 4 months.

wash/clay/polishing steps dependent on how bad the car is/aio/sealant x3/845IW

A coat of Souveran will not last 4 months. So if you want the best of the best - add a coat of wax once a month.....it only takes 15-20 minutes.

Thing is he lives in the city and can't detail whenever. When he says 2-3 times a year, he means he has to drive 2 hours away to a friend's house to detail. I say... move. :p

Torsion Tool said:
Bill, definitely clay after shampoo; she hasn't been polished in four years. Plan to top off with carnauba paste, it's the polish steps I most need. Sound right? Thanks.

After the inItial thorough cleaning after four years........UPKEEP 3 times a year....

Clay again if ness, AIO, sealant. top with a nuba if desired....;) ......

I would likely look to the Klasse Twins or Zaino for the durability you are looking for. While Klasse AIO is great at removing oxidation (and you likely have it) , a more spirited abrasive polish should be considered first.

Start a good regimine first (wash, clay, polish, protect) and then consider the products that meet your needs on each step.

No doubt it would greatly benefit from clay and good polishes before the AIO, but which line? Poorboys seems to be the most favored. How does it compare to the XMT and DP lines? Still plan on a fine carnauba as topper. Any thoughts on the pads packages: Lake Country (also favored) or Edge 2k?

clay it definately and polish then seal it and top it with wax. you can still wax in the city. why wouldnt you be able to walk around your car waxing it. the other stuff would be a problem though

Kelso said:
clay it definitely and polish then seal it and top it with wax. you can still wax in the city. why wouldn't you be able to walk around your car waxing it. the other stuff would be a problem though

I Lived in N.Y.C. before i moved further east.... and i never had a problem cleaning my car....waxing in the city is ok.....he's in brooklyn, plenty of parks with shade.......as far as electric goes??? its tough on the streets of new york, but i solved that and bought a power pack with an A/C outlet, and before leaving the house I let it charge 15 hours before using, and i get 5 hrs of juice when used, and could buff my car anywhere there was shade. Under the highway, or bridge,.you can always find a place in N.Y. brooklyn included.....

Winter i would QD every week till the spring.....

Torsion Tool said:
No doubt it would greatly benefit from clay and good polishes before the AIO, but which line? Poorboys seems to be the most favored. How does it compare to the XMT and DP lines? Still plan on a fine carnauba as topper. Any thoughts on the pads packages: Lake Country (also favored) or Edge 2k?

I would get the edge pads because they are reversible and easy to center. It's like getting two pads in one. Just my 2 cents.

Bill, that is my plan once I get the remedial polishing done. Have tried it before, but must have running water and electric to work properly and thoroughly. BTW, it also is illegal; the constabulary has been cracking down on such things since Giuliani's tenure. Quality of life and more revenue from tickets I suspect. Haven't been around or been able to detail until recently. My ex-Training Officer just returned from FT. Bragg, so will drive to his car park in Queens for touch-up maintenance. My other buddies live in crampt quarters like me. At this point, starting from scratch, I'd have to set up camp for three days. Besides, the wife couldn't understand why I'd have to disappear for hours on end during the weekend only two miles away without taking Bubba or doing something fun with her. Too hard to justify the aggravation; will pick other fights with harder solutions. Can hardly wait to get it to the point where I need only wash, wax and QD. Thus the thread: Poorboy's or XMT before Klasse? PC 7424, HD 7424 or 7428? Think I'll opt for the Edge pads as FloridaNative recommends.

Torsion Tool said:
Bill, that is my plan once I get the remedial polishing done. Have tried it before, but must have running water and electric to work properly and thoroughly. BTW, it also is illegal; the constabulary has been cracking down on such things since Giuliano's tenure. Quality of life and more revenue from tickets I suspect. Haven't been around or been able to detail until recently. My ex-Training Officer just returned from FT. Bragg, so will drive to his car park in Queens for touch-up maintenance. My other buddies live in crampt quarters like me. At this point, starting from scratch, I'd have to set up camp for three days. Besides, the wife couldn't understand why I'd have to disappear for hours on end during the weekend only two miles away without taking Bubba or doing something fun with her. Too hard to justify the aggravation; will pick other fights with harder solutions. Can hardly wait to get it to the point where I need only wash, wax and QD. Thus the thread: Poorboy's or XMT before Klasse? PC 7424, HD 7424 or 7428? Think I'll opt for the Edge pads as FloridaNative recommends.

I see your plight, setting up camp in queens for 3 days, in shade with elec and water.........:confused: if it were me in your situation in queens??

there are a few places,,,,flushing meadow park, astoria park, for shade and no tickets....water?? problem electric....power pac....

either one PB, or XMT, both good........... 7424 PCHD has the 25 foot cord, the other P.C 7424 is 6 foot cord i believe......i'd go for the longer cord

if you need info on the hide outs?? P.M. me:cheers:

Back