Optimum opti bond tire gel diluted

RiverCityAutoSpa

Reaction score
On the advice of many others I picked up a gallon of Optimum Opti-Bond tire gel. I looked around the forums and it looked like the consensus was that opti bond was the go to for tire dressings and able to dilute up to 1:1. I diluted the product 1:1 in a 32oz spray bottle but the product is super watery and runny. It worked OK for my truck with mud terrains but on a recent detail it did not get absorbed into the rubber like I would like. Should I not dilute it? I ended up covering the tires in a different product.

I've never diluted it, but the recommended spray application is not with a spray bottle but with this:

Optimum Spray Gun works with your air compressor to apply even coats of Opti-Bond Tire Gel, Optimum coverage using optimum air gun

And no, I've never sprayed it, either. I like Opti-Bond a lot, but I would disagree that looking around the forums "the consensus was that Opti-Bond was the go-to for tire dressings"; I think there's as many favorites or go-to's for tire dressings as their are days of the week, or perhaps days in the month.

View attachment 53562View attachment 53563

I figger if this product didn't properly work on your tires, there was something else still on them that didn't let Opti-Bond soak in.

I seen this happen myself on a set of my own truck tires, they were Michelin LTX, and once I resorted to heavy duty stripping with paint thinner, and then applied Opti-Bond, with two coats I could literally comb my hair in the gloss this product gave.

Optimum Tire Shine is another exceptional product as well, love them both.

One other method for those aggressive "knobby" off road tires, is a small paint brush to apply. Just simply place the product into a glass pickle jar with lid, dilute or not, then brush on.

Maybe not the consensus as of course this is a site selling mckees and pinnacle but it sure does come up in just about every thread about tire dressing.

Maybe not the consensus as of course this is a site selling mckees and pinnacle but it sure does come up in just about every thread about tire dressing.

As does Tuf Shine, Meg's Hyper Dressing, UTTG, Perl, Gyeon, etc. etc. etc. none of which are PBMG products. We used to have a saying over at the other forum "process > product". Mark has pointed out that perhaps you have some process problems, perhaps after you straighten those out you will be happy with your purchase.

Yup must just be that my process is all jacked up. I might want to try a different profession since I can't apply tire dressing right. Funny thing is PERL and VRP worked fine. Perhaps the correct answer would be to dilute it and use with a air compressor, or don't dilute it!!

•Opti-Bond...diluted 1:1...
could very well be a tremendous
product. :dunno:
•However:
-I will attest to it being a very
tremendous product when it's
applied undiluted.
•Yes:
-I don't ever dilute Opti-Bond.
-I always have tremendous results
whenever I use Opti-Bond undiluted.

Bob

Thank you, Bob. I will have to try it straight up next time and see how I like it.

I've tried Opti-Bond undiluted and 1:1 and have issues with slinging. I don't want to give up on Opti-Bond since I have a nearly full bottle also so I am looking for suggestions as well.

I've been using Perl 1:1 and if left to dry or absorb into the tire I don't experience any sling.

In the past I have used chemical guys products and that whole company just seems...another thread. I have used Chem guys VRP with success, PERL was a nice product but pricey. Been mixing up my orders lately trying to find a cost effective replacement for PERL and Iron-x. I ordered opti for dressing and d143 for wheels and tires.

I dilute my opti bond and it works fine. Yes it is a lil runny but i use the carrand brush and spread it out. I do all the tires and let it sit for about 10 to 15 minutes then i come back and dab the tires with a microfiber applicator to get the excess and wipe the wheels off with awesome results.

While I earlier mention the use of Paint Thinner to clean the tires, this was an extreme example of how to clean a tire, and for sure not the best way.

That I do believe at current day the use of Paint Thinners, Mineral Spirits, or any other petrol solvents is a very bad way to go and will do harm to the rubber.

Better to just use repeated cleanings with a good APC to strip Tires of other products applied.

I believe too, that different brand tires can-will react differently to various tire products.

In my earlier post, and pics, those tires were dressed with a 1-1 ratio of Opti-Bond Gel-Water applied from a spray bottle, but were 2-3 applications. Just simply kept walking around the vehicle with additional applications.

I use it diluted but less water than 1:1. I use a spray bottle. Works great. Trick is to shake the bottle up before each tire. The stuff separates 'fast'. Use a clear bottle so you can see inside if your mix is good; or if it has separated and needs some shaking.

On the advice of many others I picked up a gallon of Optimum Opti-Bond tire gel. I looked around the forums and it looked like the consensus was that opti bond was the go to for tire dressings and able to dilute up to 1:1. I diluted the product 1:1 in a 32oz spray bottle but the product is super watery and runny. It worked OK for my truck with mud terrains but on a recent detail it did not get absorbed into the rubber like I would like. Should I not dilute it? I ended up covering the tires in a different product.
Different tires react differently to certain dressings. I would not say it's user error on your part.

I use opti bond straight. It works perfectly on my wife's car. I work my way around the car applying to each tire and then come back and lightly wipe with a towel. The result is a deep black tire.

I use this same process on my truck and it barely looks like I put anything on.

The tires on my truck do not soak up dressings. The only thing I've found to work good is blackfire AIO cleaner and protectant.

It's always good to have a few dressings on hand.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

When you guys go back and wipe the tire are you getting a lot of bs on the towel? I'm picturing it rubbing the tire and the rag becoming black

Back