Is CarPro Hydro2 Ok for winter wheel protection?

GOTURBACK

Reaction score
I wanted to ask for opinions on whether CarPro Hydro2 is a viable option for winter wheel protection in the northeast?
I know that there are probably better options available but my thought is that I could reapply it often when washing.
Should I be concerned with getting it on brake rotors at all or will it just burn off?
I know it is probably anal but does anyone have suggestions on preventing damage to lug nuts from tools (socket) during wheel removal?

I used a similar product (silica based) all winter last year.

I'm in Southern Ontario, so very similar if not worse conditions.

Used on bare alloys (they had Wolgang Metal Werks protection) and it worked well.

Used weekly after ONR washes.

Easy to use and makes cleaning a snap.

[/B]
I wanted to ask for opinions on whether CarPro Hydro2 is a viable option for winter wheel protection in the northeast?

Absolutely. As a matter of fact, it was the sealant I used when offering winter prep packages when I lived in Syracuse.

I know that there are probably better options available but my thought is that I could reapply it often when washing.
Should I be concerned with getting it on brake rotors at all or will it just burn off?

What does adhere will come off the first time you use your brakes. No detrimental effects.

I know it is probably anal but does anyone have suggestions on preventing damage to lug nuts from tools (socket) during wheel removal?

There are teflon coated (iirc) sockets that you can get. Otherwise, taking your time is the ticket. I have had many expensive sets of wheels over the years from Rotiform, Vossen, BBS, etc and always just took my time when removing and re-torquing.

See bold.

Yes, I've seen it last entirely through harsh MN winters on some cars and not so on others. Performance & longevity was primarily based on how well the client maintained the vehicle.

Some people will wrap the outside of the socket with electrician tape or duct tape. Just be careful, it really doesn't add any time to be deliberate.

Tape on the outside of the socket will protect the
lugnut holes, not the lugnuts.

I use a breaker bar (no impact drivers) by hand, but really mine have plastic caps, so not much benefit.

However on the bare alloys no plastic caps, so bought high quality lugnuts (can't remember the company) and they were guarenteed for life.

Tape on the outside of the socket will protect the
lugnut holes, not the lugnuts.

I use a breaker bar (no impact drivers) by hand, but really mine have plastic caps, so not much benefit.

However on the bare alloys no plastic caps, so bought high quality lugnuts (can't remember the company) and they were guarenteed for life.

Good catch. I misread the question. Perhaps I should care more about lug nuts, but I consider the vast majority to be easily replaced.

#lugnutlivesmatter

Hydro2 will stand up to whatever you throw at it. I get 3-4 months out of an application. I don't have to use those expensive color changing wheel cleaners much anymore. Everything comes out with a little soap and water.

Thanks for all the responses guys! That is what I was hoping to hear.

Hydro2 is best to protect wheels in any climates. There simply isn't anything easier to use on wheels!

Thanks for all the responses guys! That is what I was hoping to hear.

Perhaps you can clarify the lug nut question. I usually just use some blue painter's tape wrapped around my socket if I'm worried about the wheel...or are you talking about the lug nut itself? For that the best is to have a good quality socket that is smooth on the flats and that fits properly...a beat-up old socket is more likely to do bad things to the corners of the lug nut.

Well I went at the truck today (2016 Chevrolet Colorado bought new in late Oct.) with the Hydro2! I did the wheels, and then went at wiping down everything I could underneath the truck then Hyrdo2'ed the underneath I got SOAKED doing it hope it helps to protect it from the salt and makes winter undercarriage funk removal easier.

Setec I was trying to prevent damage to the lug nuts during removal/installation. Thanks for the advice!

Back