PDA

View Full Version : Collinite 845 After Mckee 37 Coating

Pages : [1] 2

B00st4ddicted
12-01-2016, 05:01 PM
Hi All,

I just finished a multi-step on my own car and ended with Mckee 37 Coating. Somehow I feel like the paint can be shinier and wetter. Would it be ok for me to put a layer of Collinite 845 on top of the Mckee coating? Thanks in advance!

WaxMaster1
12-01-2016, 05:10 PM
Good timing. I will be using my McKee's 37 paint coating soon too. I figured on putting some type of sacrificial layer on top of it, something like Collinite. I'll be following this thread

chefwong
12-01-2016, 05:13 PM
Sorta defeat the purpose of the coating by topping it. Heavy on the solvents

Desertnate
12-01-2016, 05:20 PM
Sorta defeat the purpose of the coating by topping it. Heavy on the solvents

I was thinking the same thing. The solvents on in 845 might not make it such a great idea. Even worse if the coating hasn't cured completely.

If you want to spruce up the shine, a safer bet might be a spray wax of some sort. It won't last nearly as long as 845, but many are still pretty durable and you can re-apply ever couple washes.

Dan K
12-01-2016, 06:06 PM
I was thinking the same thing. The solvents on in 845 might not make it such a great idea. Even worse if the coating hasn't cured completely.

If you want to spruce up the shine, a safer bet might be a spray wax of some sort. It won't last nearly as long as 845, but many are still pretty durable and you can re-apply ever couple washes.

Agree. Go with a spray wax or quick detailer, or Sonax BSD. Or do what I like to do and put a layer of Sonax PNS over top. Might not get a wet look with PNS but you will definitely amp up the shine and boost the beading/shedding of water.

ntwillie1
12-01-2016, 06:14 PM
I recently applied opti-gloss on my cls followed by optimum opti-seal. About 8-10 days later I put Colonite 845 on it. Car looks great and water beads up nice and tight. I didn't need to add the 845 but figured I'd try it and see how I like it. These coatings are made to last so putting a wax or sealant on them isn't going to hurt them.

CarolinasFinestDetailing
12-01-2016, 06:14 PM
Really defeats the purpose as others have said. If you must top it, use something such as CarPro Reload or Optimum Opti Seal.

BudgetPlan1
12-01-2016, 07:12 PM
Gyeon Cure, Gyeon Wetcoat, Polish Angel Cosmic/High Gloss are some nice toppers for a coating. Adds longevity as well.

Helps maintain the hydrophobic and self-cleaning advantages of a coating. Adds gloss as well.

When I first coated our cars (WG Uber Ceramic) I played around with topping it with a variety of things like:

- Collinite 915
- Dodo Juice Purple Haze
- Pinnacle Souveran
- WG Fuzion

Looked a bit shinier but got dirty quicker. Switched to the SiO2 (durability) TiO2 (shine) boosters/maint products and the finish was very glossy and maintained (and enhanced) the coatings inherant properties.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

ronkh57
12-01-2016, 07:19 PM
Gyeon Cure, Gyeon Wetcoat, Polish Angel Cosmic/High Gloss are some nice toppers for a coating. Adds longevity as well.

Helps maintain the hydrophobic and self-cleaning advantages of a coating. Adds gloss as well.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

+1

mwoolfso
12-01-2016, 07:46 PM
why not 2 layers of the coating? :-)

and oh by the way the solvent on 845 wouldn't cut through a coating layer - think about it..... peeps layer 845 all the time

Klasse Act
12-01-2016, 07:58 PM
I would wait for the coating to cure properly, the longer the better but I'd say after 3 days it should be good to go. I like the idea of adding a spray wax to make it "pop", many choices out there. If you wanna try something new and a bit of a sleeper, give the new 303 Aerospace spray wax a try. If you wanna try an established product that everyone loves, can't go wrong with Aquawax. I must say the new 303 is a sleeper though.

Now, if you're not into believing in spray waxes, well, a coat of KSG, followed by a 2nd coat 12 hrs later, will make your paint pop AND it has NO SOLVENTS:props:

glfnaz
12-01-2016, 08:39 PM
+1

How about WG LS?

The Guz
12-01-2016, 09:22 PM
I would wait for the coating to cure properly, the longer the better but I'd say after 3 days it should be good to go. I like the idea of adding a spray wax to make it "pop", many choices out there. If you wanna try something new and a bit of a sleeper, give the new 303 Aerospace spray wax a try. If you wanna try an established product that everyone loves, can't go wrong with Aquawax. I must say the new 303 is a sleeper though.

Now, if you're not into believing in spray waxes, well, a coat of KSG, followed by a 2nd coat 12 hrs later, will make your paint pop AND it has NO SOLVENTS:props:

Going to have to disagree with you on the 303 spray wax unless it has been reformulated. The one that Nick sent me from a 303 giveaway 1-2 years ago was terrible. Left the paint feeling sticky, non-slick and didn't sheet or bead worth a darn.

To the op someone suggested some good toppers that work with coatings. Even Pinnacle Black Label Coating Booster will work. It is just expensive. Give the coating a week to see how it looks and to fully cure.

coles_paint_correction
12-01-2016, 09:42 PM
Interesting, like others have said probably defeats the purpose.
How did you like the paint coating from mckee? Just asking as i have a 56 bel air i need to coat soon and have been thinking.
Never used any coatings yet.

FUNX650
12-01-2016, 10:25 PM
If you have prepared the paint,
(so it will be at its "smoothest"),
prior to applying MK 37 Coating...

Then, IMO:
There should be no need in trying
to enhance said Coating, by topping
it off with a waxy product that could
very well be: "non-synergistic".

Bob