Collinite 845 After Mckee 37 Coating

B00st4ddicted

Reaction score
Hi All,

I just finished a multi-step on my own car and ended with Mckee 37 Coating. Somehow I feel like the paint can be shinier and wetter. Would it be ok for me to put a layer of Collinite 845 on top of the Mckee coating? Thanks in advance!

Good timing. I will be using my McKee's 37 paint coating soon too. I figured on putting some type of sacrificial layer on top of it, something like Collinite. I'll be following this thread

Sorta defeat the purpose of the coating by topping it. Heavy on the solvents

Sorta defeat the purpose of the coating by topping it. Heavy on the solvents

I was thinking the same thing. The solvents on in 845 might not make it such a great idea. Even worse if the coating hasn't cured completely.

If you want to spruce up the shine, a safer bet might be a spray wax of some sort. It won't last nearly as long as 845, but many are still pretty durable and you can re-apply ever couple washes.

I was thinking the same thing. The solvents on in 845 might not make it such a great idea. Even worse if the coating hasn't cured completely.

If you want to spruce up the shine, a safer bet might be a spray wax of some sort. It won't last nearly as long as 845, but many are still pretty durable and you can re-apply ever couple washes.

Agree. Go with a spray wax or quick detailer, or Sonax BSD. Or do what I like to do and put a layer of Sonax PNS over top. Might not get a wet look with PNS but you will definitely amp up the shine and boost the beading/shedding of water.

I recently applied opti-gloss on my cls followed by optimum opti-seal. About 8-10 days later I put Colonite 845 on it. Car looks great and water beads up nice and tight. I didn't need to add the 845 but figured I'd try it and see how I like it. These coatings are made to last so putting a wax or sealant on them isn't going to hurt them.

Really defeats the purpose as others have said. If you must top it, use something such as CarPro Reload or Optimum Opti Seal.

Gyeon Cure, Gyeon Wetcoat, Polish Angel Cosmic/High Gloss are some nice toppers for a coating. Adds longevity as well.

Helps maintain the hydrophobic and self-cleaning advantages of a coating. Adds gloss as well.

When I first coated our cars (WG Uber Ceramic) I played around with topping it with a variety of things like:

- Collinite 915
- Dodo Juice Purple Haze
- Pinnacle Souveran
- WG Fuzion

Looked a bit shinier but got dirty quicker. Switched to the SiO2 (durability) TiO2 (shine) boosters/maint products and the finish was very glossy and maintained (and enhanced) the coatings inherant properties.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Gyeon Cure, Gyeon Wetcoat, Polish Angel Cosmic/High Gloss are some nice toppers for a coating. Adds longevity as well.

Helps maintain the hydrophobic and self-cleaning advantages of a coating. Adds gloss as well.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

+1

why not 2 layers of the coating? :-)

and oh by the way the solvent on 845 wouldn't cut through a coating layer - think about it..... peeps layer 845 all the time

I would wait for the coating to cure properly, the longer the better but I'd say after 3 days it should be good to go. I like the idea of adding a spray wax to make it "pop", many choices out there. If you wanna try something new and a bit of a sleeper, give the new 303 Aerospace spray wax a try. If you wanna try an established product that everyone loves, can't go wrong with Aquawax. I must say the new 303 is a sleeper though.

Now, if you're not into believing in spray waxes, well, a coat of KSG, followed by a 2nd coat 12 hrs later, will make your paint pop AND it has NO SOLVENTS:props:

I would wait for the coating to cure properly, the longer the better but I'd say after 3 days it should be good to go. I like the idea of adding a spray wax to make it "pop", many choices out there. If you wanna try something new and a bit of a sleeper, give the new 303 Aerospace spray wax a try. If you wanna try an established product that everyone loves, can't go wrong with Aquawax. I must say the new 303 is a sleeper though.

Now, if you're not into believing in spray waxes, well, a coat of KSG, followed by a 2nd coat 12 hrs later, will make your paint pop AND it has NO SOLVENTS:props:

Going to have to disagree with you on the 303 spray wax unless it has been reformulated. The one that Nick sent me from a 303 giveaway 1-2 years ago was terrible. Left the paint feeling sticky, non-slick and didn't sheet or bead worth a darn.

To the op someone suggested some good toppers that work with coatings. Even Pinnacle Black Label Coating Booster will work. It is just expensive. Give the coating a week to see how it looks and to fully cure.

Interesting, like others have said probably defeats the purpose.
How did you like the paint coating from mckee? Just asking as i have a 56 bel air i need to coat soon and have been thinking.
Never used any coatings yet.

If you have prepared the paint,
(so it will be at its "smoothest"),
prior to applying MK 37 Coating...

Then, IMO:
There should be no need in trying
to enhance said Coating, by topping
it off with a waxy product that could
very well be: "non-synergistic".

Bob

Thank you guys so much for the replies!! My car is a BMW 650i Gran Coup with black sapphire metallic. Here is what I did:
Washed with Uber
Clay with Nanoskin Medium
GG Boss Fast Cut Cream
GG Boss Perfecting Cream
Mckee 37 Coating
The Coating was applied on past Saturday so it has fully cured. The surface feels slick however I feel like it attracts dust and it's a fingerprint magnet. I guess I had higher expectation going through multi-step paint correction and expected more shine =D

Thank you guys so much for the replies!! My car is a BMW 650i Gran Coup with black sapphire metallic. Here is what I did:
Washed with Uber
Clay with Nanoskin Medium
GG Boss Fast Cut Cream
GG Boss Perfecting Cream
Mckee 37 Coating
The Coating was applied on past Saturday so it has fully cured. The surface feels slick however I feel like it attracts dust and it's a fingerprint magnet. I guess I had higher expectation going through multi-step paint correction and expected more shine =D

Pics under decent lighting?

Do you feel the reflection needs refining or is it not exhibiting a candy-like gloss?

Here's what a pure black looks like:

Reflection: Garage door off my roof

http://i1379.photobucket.com/albums/ah133/PDQS4/Misc Detailing/DSC01174_zpsvukkurfh.jpg

Candy-Like Gloss of McKee's:

http://i1379.photobucket.com/albums/ah133/PDQS4/Misc Detailing/DSC01316 web ag_zpsdhfc73sr.jpg

I have applied by 476 ad 845 over a coated vehicle but just beware that it does change the overall hydrophobic and dust resistant properties. I am going to test out a comparison of my car vs our van this winter to see how each perform, hold up and look over the course of the winter.

My Audi:
Essence Polished
McKee's Coating
Essence Plus as a touch up - completed a couple weeks ago when I first got my product

Wife's Van:
HD Adapt Polish
McKee's Coating
Collinite 476 topped - will do upon getting my next chance to clean her up

I'm sure I'll be posting updates on the above.

I will do my best to upload a picture of the paint in good lighting but it is kind of dusty currently. Part of the reason that I am not getting the result that I was expected is due to the orange peel effect on the BMW paint. I definitely don't get the reflection that you showed in your link @pdqgp

I will do my best to upload a picture of the paint in good lighting but it is kind of dusty currently. Part of the reason that I am not getting the result that I was expected is due to the orange peel effect on the BMW paint. I definitely don't get the reflection that you showed in your link @pdqgp

Ok. I'll look for the pics once clean. The orange peel thing must have been something that plagued BMW or something. I've seen some pretty bad ones but then also recently a new M-Series that was beautiful.

Back