polisher causing swirls help

thiscarlife

Reaction score
hey guys! this is my first thread on here :)

So I just got my first DA, it's a shinemate ero600 dual action polisher. The first time I tried it, it was with a polishing pad and smartpolish by smartwax. My test spot came out great with only deep scratches left. My paint was not too bad and so I only used a finishing polish for my test spot but I am happy with my result. I don't have a pad cleaner machine nor a pad cleaner solution so I just used apc and cleaned the pad by hand until the original pad color was restored and air dried for 2 days. However, when i was trying to polish out the rest of the hood 2 days after (my test spot was on the hood), it just did not work. Either the swirls and scratches were still there but I think it even got worse. So my question, what factors might have caused it to not work and even caused more swirl marks? is the pad not clean enough or not cleaned properly?

P.s Can I just put the pad in a washing machine?

People buy what they can afford to get the job done.which is totally understandable under any circumstances.But when you seek help from stuff that I never heard of it's kinda hard to get you in the right direction.Buying stuff from ag it's not just the sale,but rather a company who will support and back there knowledge and products.maybe someone can help you using the tool and smart stuff.

Probably apc residue on the pad.Then when it came time to polish the apc was mixed in with the polish.Sounds to me it's a filler product.Invest if you can some good quality polish.

People buy what they can afford to get the job done.which is totally understandable under any circumstances.But when you seek help from stuff that I never heard of it's kinda hard to get you in the right direction.Buying stuff from ag it's not just the sale,but rather a company who will support and back there knowledge and products.maybe someone can help you using the tool and smart stuff.

Smart products are from CG land.

To the OP, stupid question, but did you air dry the pad somewhere where it might have gotten dust or grit on it?

SmartWax is Chemical Guys mild polishes meant for the consumer market for ease of application and hand use. You need a proper abrasive polish.

What was your prep process?

Did you clay the paint?

Did you wash the vehicle again before you tried the second time?

Maybe check out some of Mike Phillips videos if you haven't yet.

Smart products are from CG land.

To the OP, stupid question, but did you air dry the pad somewhere where it might have gotten dust or grit on it?

Okay now that you've mentioned it, I did let it sit on a shelf, but it was in a room (not garage/outdoor). How do you suggest I let it dry? or, is there a prep process for the pad to make sure there's no shelf dust before polishing?

What was your prep process?

Did you clay the paint?

Did you wash the vehicle again before you tried the second time?

Maybe check out some of Mike Phillips videos if you haven't yet.

Yep did everything, I used nanoskin autoscrub medium grade sponge since i'm not a big fan of clay. I think it might be just be the crappy pad cause I haven't been able to get some hex logic pads and just used the polishing pad that came with it. I'll update

Probably apc residue on the pad.Then when it came time to polish the apc was mixed in with the polish.Sounds to me it's a filler product.Invest if you can some good quality polish.

Nah, smartpolish is definitely not a filler, although it's only a light cut finishing polish. Btw, It's not that I don't invest in better quality products. I'm on a long term overseas stay in Indonesia at my folk's place and thought I would try detailing their cars while I'm here. We don't have much options around here and online shopping is not an option because of our messed up customs process. So, I'm just trying to make the best of what the store has to offer. When I'm back in Sydney, then, I can use all the goodies :) cheers.

Nah, smartpolish is definitely not a filler, although it's only a light cut finishing polish. Btw, It's not that I don't invest in better quality products. I'm on a long term overseas stay in Indonesia at my folk's place and thought I would try detailing their cars while I'm here. We don't have much options around here and online shopping is not an option because of our messed up customs process. So, I'm just trying to make the best of what the store has to offer. When I'm back in Sydney, then, I can use all the goodies :) cheers.
Cool.

I'd recommend getting and trying some other compounds and polishes.

Menzerna, SONAX, Wolfgang,

:)

I'd recommend getting and trying some other compounds and polishes.

Menzerna, SONAX, Wolfgang,

:)

Yes, I will definitely be trying menzerna thanks!!! Funny enough I was watching your automotive exterior detailing video when your reply notification popped up right next to your face! hahah cheers!

Ah good to see a fellow sydneysider :)

I recently purchased a shinemate DA from waxit.com.au . Im pretty happy with the machine I currently use it with lake county pads and ultimate compound and ultimate polish. I have a black mitsubishi lancer with soft paint ( comparing it to my mums commodore which is much more resisitant to scratching). I recently cut and polished my paint as it needed some TLC this is what I used:
-Lake country CCS green AIO pad with ultimate compound; followed by
-Lake country CCS black finishing pad with ultimate polish.
From what Ive read using the least aggressive method to remove defects is the key, you dont want to abrade the paint more than whats necessary.
My suggestion would be to invest in some quality pads and good polish and compound. Meguiars has treated me well so far, look into Mikes suggestions too! I would also suggest looking into Mikes articles on here about proper DA technique and other things related to that such as how to properly wipe off polishes and compounds. :)

Ah good to see a fellow sydneysider :)

I recently purchased a shinemate DA from waxit.com.au . Im pretty happy with the machine I currently use it with lake county pads and ultimate compound and ultimate polish. I have a black mitsubishi lancer with soft paint ( comparing it to my mums commodore which is much more resisitant to scratching). I recently cut and polished my paint as it needed some TLC this is what I used:
-Lake country CCS green AIO pad with ultimate compound; followed by
-Lake country CCS black finishing pad with ultimate polish.
From what Ive read using the least aggressive method to remove defects is the key, you dont want to abrade the paint more than whats necessary.
My suggestion would be to invest in some quality pads and good polish and compound. Meguiars has treated me well so far, look into Mikes suggestions too! I would also suggest looking into Mikes articles on here about proper DA technique and other things related to that such as how to properly wipe off polishes and compounds. :)

Hi James!

Thanks for the useful info, glad to hear that I'm not the only one trying out shinemate. :) Yeah I was following that philosophy as well by starting with a light cutting polish. I just got the heavier compound as well as pads today and will be trying it out, it should take out all the scratches and swirls. Btw, sucks being on the other side of the world, shipping just kills the wallet :)

Youre welcome :)

What polish and compound did you settle with?
Yeah... if youre going to order stuff from autogeek make sure you make it worth your while and pick up a few things. Ive just placed an order for some waxes. Time to see how long it takes! I usually go with waxit.com.au, theyre based in VIC and offer quite a few things (not sll) that autogeek does. Youll be saving a lot on shipping and they do offer discounts if youre a return ling customer which I find great :)
Oh and another thing, make sure you invest in some quality MF towels! None of that garbage from supercheap auto. :P

Youre welcome :)

What polish and compound did you settle with?
Yeah... if youre going to order stuff from autogeek make sure you make it worth your while and pick up a few things. Ive just placed an order for some waxes. Time to see how long it takes! I usually go with waxit.com.au, theyre based in VIC and offer quite a few things (not sll) that autogeek does. Youll be saving a lot on shipping and they do offer discounts if youre a return ling customer which I find great :)
Oh and another thing, make sure you invest in some quality MF towels! None of that garbage from supercheap auto. :P

I started with the smartwax polish but I don't think it's pretty good. I ordered the adam's correcting polish along with some orange hex logic pads from chemical guys. And i always buy the korean MF off ebay. You're right, supercheap are only good for their $2 tyre shine :) I used to get some stuff from carcareproducts.com.au but I'll go checkout waxit. I just had a friend come back from the US and helped me brought back some adam's, blackfire, optimum and nanoskin products at no shipping expense :)

Like Setec mentioned Smartwax is CG turf and product. Its a micro abrassive finishing polish more like a paint cleanser so I dont believe it thats what is to blame. One problem could be grit or dust on the pad. Another problem could be dust or smaller hard particles on the paint. When I work outside I like to rinseless or waterless wash or wipe the section Im working on before I start polishing.
Which car and paint color do you have?

Did you clay bar the car prior polishing?

Did you work indoor or out? If out, was it windy?

Which microfiber did you use to remove the polish?

I started with the smartwax polish but I don't think it's pretty good. I ordered the adam's correcting polish along with some orange hex logic pads from chemical guys. And i always buy the korean MF off ebay. You're right, supercheap are only good for their $2 tyre shine :) I used to get some stuff from carcareproducts.com.au but I'll go checkout waxit. I just had a friend come back from the US and helped me brought back some adam's, blackfire, optimum and nanoskin products at no shipping expense :)
Oh wow youre lucky! Never used products from any of those lines. Might have to look into them one day. Yeah thats for sure! The first time I used theyre tyre shine I applied way too much and it slung off onto the paint :(

hey guys! this is my first thread on here :)

So I just got my first DA, it's a shinemate ero600 dual action polisher. The first time I tried it, it was with a polishing pad and smartpolish by smartwax. My test spot came out great with only deep scratches left. My paint was not too bad and so I only used a finishing polish for my test spot but I am happy with my result. I don't have a pad cleaner machine nor a pad cleaner solution so I just used apc and cleaned the pad by hand until the original pad color was restored and air dried for 2 days. However, when i was trying to polish out the rest of the hood 2 days after (my test spot was on the hood), it just did not work. Either the swirls and scratches were still there but I think it even got worse. So my question, what factors might have caused it to not work and even caused more swirl marks? is the pad not clean enough or not cleaned properly?

P.s Can I just put the pad in a washing machine?

Was just wondering how much wax do you have on the car already ? Before you tried to use your DA ?
One of my cars had a few layers of sealant & wax, and a light polish just put swirls in the finish.
I ended up using Microfiber pads with a Med. compound to cut through all the layers.
Plus if your DA is an 8mm, it's going to take some time.
Good Luck sounds like you are headed in the right direction. :coolgleam:

Like Setec mentioned Smartwax is CG turf and product. Its a micro abrassive finishing polish more like a paint cleanser so I dont believe it thats what is to blame. One problem could be grit or dust on the pad. Another problem could be dust or smaller hard particles on the paint. When I work outside I like to rinseless or waterless wash or wipe the section Im working on before I start polishing.
Which car and paint color do you have?

Did you clay bar the car prior polishing?

Did you work indoor or out? If out, was it windy?

Which microfiber did you use to remove the polish?

The car is metallic black and I worked indoor. Again, I already used the nanoskin autoscrub before polishing.

Back