I don't know if I should just replace the wheel?

bcgreen

Reaction score
This is some sort of flaw in the plastic steering wheel from a `76 Carrera. I`ve cleaned it with all sorts of chemicals and tried coating it to even it out or minimize the stain or flaw. This is the way I got it a number of years ago so I don`t know why it looks like it does.

It looks like the sun has taken its toll on it. Besides replacing it, you might be able to get it looking good with scuffling, cleaning, and painting it a matching color.

Yep, looks like severe UV damage, pretty common on those. We've got about five or six of them in the private collection here at the dealership and all of them have the same problem on all the similar surfaces. Owners of the dealership don't care to do anything about it, but they do thoroughly enjoy driving them and using them!

I would definitely refinish the wheel with an appropriate product/dye as apposed to replacing it. Keep it original with the car.

Yep, looks like severe UV damage, pretty common on those. We've got about five or six of them in the private collection here at the dealership and all of them have the same problem on all the similar surfaces. Owners of the dealership don't care to do anything about it, but they do thoroughly enjoy driving them and using them!

Wow, I didn't know it is so common.

I would definitely refinish the wheel with an appropriate product/dye as apposed to replacing it. Keep it original with the car.

Agree, too valuable to change out to something other than original. Any suggestion as far as dye is concerned?

doubt that it's a flaw. those cars were pretty pricey. it would have been unacceptable by the original buyer. I would see if a replacement is available & if there affordable. if so then hit the one you got with some dye. if it gets messed up you'll know if you can replace it. good luck.
hmardown

Seems like an area of the car I wouldn't first try this on, but have you ever used a heat gun to restore faded trim? I don't know if the material is even equivalent on that wheel.

Back