How to Rinseless Wash Glass

osiapstndp

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

For a long time I could not figure out how to clean exterior and interior glass. Every video, article, pointer, tip, trick, chemical, towel, and whatever else just didn't give me the results that I desired. Well, I finally found a procedure that produces a result that matches my very high expectation.

A few months ago I tested a new (to me) rinseless wash product (I don't recall the name, but it's unimportant). Whilst on my merry way, cleaning the paintwork and whatnot, it occurred to me that I've been so silly to skip rinseless washing the glass. I need a glass-specific cleaner, don't I? No, it isn't necessary.

I followed the sort of rinseless process wherein one soaks a microfiber towel in a solution, rings it out a bit and then goes about gently wiping in one direction across the subject until all of the dirt and debris is removed. Since the subject in this case is glass, one doesn't need to worry all too much about scratching the surface and can be a little more aggressive if need be.

For an example I used the new McKee's 37 N-914 to clean my Challenger. As an aside, it works very well and is quite similar to D114. However, the smell, in this sniffer's opinion, is quite acrid. After spraying the product for a while, in a well-ventilated area of course, my throat started to hurt. I won't use N-914 again to pre-soak an entire car.

Here are some shots.

Soak the windshield. Don't be shy about using too much.

c75b11c7c37e7eda3313f74a6e3b9a56.jpg

Use a microfiber towel in the standard rinseless fashion, or use the box method. Notice that the windshield wipers are down.

f6b7cfe540b0d0f92b74078d70af2ce2.jpg

Don't forget the wipers! It's much easier to clean them while they rest against the glass than when they stand up because more force (still be gentle of course) can be applied to ensure full contact between the towel and the surface.

cfc00bb9b80cf910e21cf65ea7adf6a1.jpg

Dry the surface with a lint-free towel. It is critical to not impart lint against the glass.

0bdd8b197f50d9cc9e4fdcf24b95cc53.jpg

Dry the wipers too!

c368b8861a7f2e853d37dd3c5249ff99.jpg

Now that the glass is dry it is time to "finish" the surface. I use a very effective buffing cloth (that has never been used to buff off compound or polish, and instead is only used on glass) to ensure that all residue is removed. It is equally critical to ensure that the towel is free of lint and any other debris.

ec8abdf3b05bfc48415ef35ae22601da.jpg

I always, always perform the finishing step immediately after drying the surface. With D114 and N-914, heck even with ONR and Wolfgang Uber Rinseless, it is easy to dry the surface to about 60% completion and then finish drying with the buffing cloth.

That's it!

The above method I use for the exterior and interior glass. The only exception is that I do not spray anything on the interior panels. Instead, I do one cleaning application and then if it is necessary I will do a second application using the same procedure. Just recently I did a Dodge Ram that had very, very dirty interior glass. The owner's dogs went to town on that stuff and it was very hazy and spotted. The process I described, whilst using regular ONR at 1:256 rinseless solution and a microfiber towel, cut through everything and left near-perfect clarity. I don't have a picture handy of the result, but if I find something I'll include it later.

Thank you for reading!

I have a somewhat similar aproach that I use to clean glass when doing a rinseless [or in my case usually waterless wash]

1st thing I do is lift up the wiper blades [including the 1 on the rear door] and spray rinseless wash solution all over the exterior glass, nice and heavy just like you showed in your pic, but instead of taking a towel to it, I simply swipe all the glass with a squeegee, which not only gets the glass about 90% clean and streak free, but also saves me from saturating a clean microfiber towel with heavy grit.

Once I'm done wiping down and drying the paint, I switch to my dedicated glass towel [waffle weave] + glass cleaner, and since the squeegee already took care of the majority of the dirt, my glass towel keeps folding and goes a long way + stays cleaner longer.

Sent from my iPhone

So El what about the interior?

NormL style, just spray Meguiars D120 onto my waffle weave and wipe clean, flip to a dry side for the final wipe. Interior glass isn't usually quite as dirty as the exterior.

I've been thinking about whether to get 1 of those triangle pole handle things they sell for interior sloped windshields.. Mainly to knock out the occasional early morning interior fogging. Does anyone use those things? Do they work any good?

Sent from my iPhone

I do it's not that good. Hey what I started using also was a squeegee on the inside front and rear and it helps you.

I use one of those triangular window cleaners. However, I have and use two of them to clean my interior front window. The first one to spread the cleaner, I spray the cleaner to the triangle pad, and the second one to dry/buff. I'm a smoker so you can imagine how the front glass gets. Using two works great for me.

I love rinseless/waterless products for cleaning the glass, mostly D114.

Use it to clean the glass and dash. I spray the inside down pretty well and don't worry about what gets on the dash. Wipe the glass first then use the same damp towel to make my initial cleaning on the dash. I dry the glass, then the dash.

I do use a glass tool. They are nice if the glass is really sloped and/or tight to the dash. It gets into the corners well, and you can get behind the molding on the interior door glass in most places. Like Hondas where there's more of square corner on the outside, but the inside has rounded curve that keeps you from getting to the corner.

I've thought about sewing up some bonnets for it, but I typically just drape a microfiber over and they stay in place alright.

I've been thinking about whether to get 1 of those triangle pole handle things they sell for interior sloped windshields.. Mainly to knock out the occasional early morning interior fogging. Does anyone use those things? Do they work any good?

I bought one mainly to do the outside rear glass, I couldn't reach the top and middle. It works great for that, and for the insides as well.

I bought one mainly to do the outside rear glass, I couldn't reach the top and middle. It works great for that, and for the insides as well.

I use mine all the time.

Work really well for front windsheild and would not do the back window without it (getting too brittle to contort my body too get to the curved corners).

Interestingly, it was one of the first tools I bought when I got into detailing 6 years ago and it was a "home run right off the bench".

they work great. buy a packet or two of extra covers and you'll be good to go.

Cool cool, so do they all pretty much work the same? Or is there a superior 1 that stands out above the others? If I'm going to get 1, I'd like to not have to buy the tool twice.

Sent from my iPhone

Cool cool, so do they all pretty much work the same? Or is there a superior 1 that stands out above the others? If I'm going to get 1, I'd like to not have to buy the tool twice.

I can't say. I bought mine locally at the auto parts store that has a huge detailing section and carries some quality stuff.

Sent from my iPhone
To get in tight or difficult-to-reach areas I use a paint stirring stick and wrap a microfiber towel around the end. It's not fancy, but it works. I do something similar for wheel barrels - wrap a microfiber towel around the handle of a wheel woolie to dry leftover rinse water and remove loose residual dirt from the barrel. Just sharing.

To get in tight or difficult-to-reach areas I use a paint stirring stick and wrap a microfiber towel around the end. It's not fancy, but it works. I do something similar for wheel barrels - wrap a microfiber towel around the handle of a wheel woolie to dry leftover rinse water and remove loose residual dirt from the barrel. Just sharing.

Dude, I was laughing in my head thinking similar thoughts like "I wonder if I could just make my own right here and now"
I would've posted sooner, but I was eating dinner..

But here it is: El Cheapo Super Reacher Windshield Sweeper + Super Cheapo little Sneaker [for those super slim windshields!]

a6a3efacf798e4b86721aa288f0f48d2.jpg

Lol.

I'm gonna go ahead and take them to SEMA later this year, so look out for El Cheapo brand and show your support! Lol.

Sent from my iPhone

Sent from my iPhone

Stoner makes a good one. Maybe I'm using it wrong but it just doesn't work good enough. It's my ocd.

Stoner makes a good one. Maybe I'm using it wrong but it just doesn't work good enough. It's my ocd.

I had the stoners one also, waste of money, I have long arms so its ok for me.

As for the exterior of my car glass i use this stuff that you mix in with the wiper wash called Bug off or Bar n Bugs

put it into a spray bottle and away i go. It works so good if it can brake down bug guts it can clean off dirt road wash

So I've been doing a similar method on exterior and interior windows. I just soak a rag in Uber RW and then when I'm done with my normal washing I ring the rag out and clean the window with one pass, then do one more pass with a dry MF and it's perfect. I've been doing this on my personal cars tint for about 6 months now with no issues at all to the tint so I would consider it tint safe. I have not used a dedicated window cleaner since but I have tried to dry using the el cheapo way but never had much success, maybe I used the wrong zip ties 😉

Sent from my XT1609 using Tapatalk

So I've been doing a similar method on exterior and interior windows. I just soak a rag in Uber RW and then when I'm done with my normal washing I ring the rag out and clean the window with one pass, then do one more pass with a dry MF and it's perfect. I've been doing this on my personal cars tint for about 6 months now with no issues at all to the tint so I would consider it tint safe. I have not used a dedicated window cleaner since but I have tried to dry using the el cheapo way but never had much success, maybe I used the wrong zip ties

Sent from my XT1609 using Tapatalk

The more I pick up the little cheapo I made the more confident I am that it's actually going to work. It's simply a flat edge squeegee with a microfiber zip tied around it. I think if I had a proper towel [a new small waffle weave] and only used it for drying the corner edges of the windshield it could be no worse than the triangle 1 for sale.

Sent from my iPhone

Back