PDA

View Full Version : Not much time... Will this work?

jem7sk
02-17-2017, 10:03 AM
I purchased a few hundred dollars worth of detailing product two years ago and then life happened and I basically got to wash my new cars twice a year. Living in Florida the sun has done a number on the plastic trim and the Love Bugs and other insects that have sat on the front of my car too long have etched the paint a bit.

Now it looks like life is giving me a little more free time but not much. I've always wanted to wash and clay my car and then polish it out but I never have the time to do it all at once. By the time I wash and clay I am out of sunshine or time for a week and then I have to do it again :) Would I be wasting my time if I washed and clayed a couple of panels only and then polished them with a good AIO? That is about the only option I seem to have but I notice from reading here that you guys seem to knock it all out at once time before it is driven or outside again. Really I know the answer because that seems to be the only way I am going to be able to do it myself but I value the knowledge here and just wanted to see what you all think or would do.

I've got two three year old Subarus and just inherited a 10 year old Full sized, king cab Tundra and a PC 7424(non-xp).

FUNX650
02-17-2017, 10:20 AM
I don't see much of a problem.
There have been many, many occasions
over the years that I only had time to
work on one panel at a time. Took awhile;
but the vehicles eventually got done.

Yes...sometimes Life, as it were,
does seem to "get in the way";
But...if we happen to persevere:
Tomorrow's another day.

Bob

Paul A.
02-17-2017, 10:43 AM
As Bob already said, yes, that is a fine approach if you don't have the time to complete everything in one session. I've done it before myself and do what you can when you can. I've done it 2 different ways. I wash and clay the entire vehicle then drive it for a week. Wash again the next week (or the next opportunity for work) and polish and wax/seal/coat. Or...wash, clay,polish and seal a section of a time.

The former approach completes the entire vehicle for each step in the process. The latter approach fully completes a section or portion of the vehicle at a time. Both ways work and eventually the entire vehicle gets done.

Mantilgh
02-17-2017, 01:40 PM
Yes sir. That's about the only way I can get any polishing done on my cars.

Kids, wife, life tend to have others plans for me.

I'll usually wash the whole car, then clay and polish what I can.

PaulMys
02-17-2017, 08:27 PM
Yes sir. That's about the only way I can get any polishing done on my cars.

Kids, wife, life tend to have others plans for me.

I'll usually wash the whole car, then clay and polish what I can.

Agreed. Claying/polishing my truck is usually a 2-3 day process for me. No way I could spend 10-12 hours in one day doing a complete correction.

Such is life.

jem7sk
02-21-2017, 02:02 PM
Glad to see I'm not the only one who doesn't have the time to do the whole car at once. That has always overwhelmed me but now that I am figuring out how to tackle it from a different perspective hopefully I'll enjoy it again. I remember when the car was new and I had everything in great shape it was easy for me to wipe it down regularly.

Whatever happened to Mrclean? I always loved to see what he did to the cars he worked on and he explained it so well... made it seem so easy.

Dave.0
02-21-2017, 02:05 PM
Vacation days / Sick Days are made for car detailing.

Just take a day off if you can, just don't let the "Honey Do list" get in the way.

gspam1
02-21-2017, 04:43 PM
Yes, I'm decontaminating, claying, polishing and putting a coating on one panel at a time. I wash the whole van each week.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

jem7sk
02-28-2017, 06:47 AM
After doing some reading here I discovered Hydro2. Since I don't have much time this might be a great product to maintain protection on my vehicles. Is there anything else I should consider in comparison to Hydro2? It is a little pricey but I sure wish I had been putting it or something like it on them from the beginning.

GSKR
02-28-2017, 07:08 AM
I purchased a few hundred dollars worth of detailing product two years ago and then life happened and I basically got to wash my new cars twice a year. Living in Florida the sun has done a number on the plastic trim and the Love Bugs and other insects that have sat on the front of my car too long have etched the paint a bit.

Now it looks like life is giving me a little more free time but not much. I've always wanted to wash and clay my car and then polish it out but I never have the time to do it all at once. By the time I wash and clay I am out of sunshine or time for a week and then I have to do it again :) Would I be wasting my time if I washed and clayed a couple of panels only and then polished them with a good AIO? That is about the only option I seem to have but I notice from reading here that you guys seem to knock it all out at once time before it is driven or outside again. Really I know the answer because that seems to be the only way I am going to be able to do it myself but I value the knowledge here and just wanted to see what you all think or would do.

I've got two three year old Subarus and just inherited a 10 year old Full sized, king cab Tundra and a PC 7424(non-xp).

Just do what you can or call me I will travel to Melbourne if you need a hand.Something is always better than nothing.You need to try and wash more frequently, that's way to long for a wash living in fla.

GSKR
02-28-2017, 07:14 AM
After doing some reading here I discovered Hydro2. Since I don't have much time this might be a great product to maintain protection on my vehicles. Is there anything else I should consider in comparison to Hydro2? It is a little pricey but I sure wish I had been putting it or something like it on them from the beginning.

Hydro 2 is a great product for the money.However if you apply it wrong you will have real promblems.Just stick to wash clay and some Collinite fleetwax.