Old, Original Opti-Coat vs. Newer Opti-Gloss vs. something else ??

Jed Clampett

Reaction score
[1] I have an old, unopened syringe of the original Opti-Coat (circa 2011).

[2] Just bought a new (2017) car, and want to protect it.

[3] Looking for opinions on the best way to proceed -- are the new coatings substantially better and/or longer lasting than the old, original Opti-Coat? What I mean is... would it be worth the investment to discard the old Opti-Coat and use Opti-Gloss (or another competing product) instead?

I'd go with the original Opti-Coat (OC);
that is: if it's still good in the syringe.

OC was advertised as being a "permanent"
protective Coating. Meanwhile: Gloss-Coat
is advertised to provide only up to two years
of protection---still a pretty good deal, though.

Regards,

"Jethro Bodine"

If you have the original Opti-Coat 2.0 and it's still liquid and is not yellowed (sometimes it looks liquid but it's gelled--see if the bubble moves), than as Bob says, that is a permanent coating and is more durable than other consumer-grade coatings available. It may be less slick and not as glossy as, say, Gloss-Coat, but it is closer to the Pro-only version of Opti-Coat than the currently available Optimum consumer coating or other consumer coatings.

If you have the Opti-Coat, I would definitely use it.

If the Opti-Coat stops working then you can always re-do with Gloss-Coat.

I had Opti-Coat on for over 2 years and after I polished I put on The Gloss-Coat (because Opti-Coat was no longer available).

The Gloss-Coat is a little more slick and seems to shine a bit more, but that could be the better polishing job coming through.

If I was going to be applying a coating, and doing the hours of prep work, I'd certainly be tempted to purchase a "fresher" product (whether I thought the 2011 stuff was good or not). Maybe it's fine. Or maybe 6 years is too long in the cross-linking world...

If I was going to be applying a coating, and doing the hours of prep work, I'd certainly be tempted to purchase a "fresher" product (whether I thought the 2011 stuff was good or not). Maybe it's fine. Or maybe 6 years is too long in the cross-linking world...

They say it lasts forever if it's sealed right...but he'll know right away if it's not right. I'd actually be surprised if it isn't gelled. I'm afraid to look at the OC 2.0 I have left.

He guys. Thanks for the thoughtful replies. Really appreciate it.

I have just opened and checked the Opti-Coat. Turns out I had 1.5 syringes left!

Unfortunately, the half empty syringe is gelled and clearly unusable.

The "new," unopened syringe is still fluid (like water). It seems to be just a smidgen cloudier than I remember. But I think it looks good to go.

Based on the advice in this thread, I think I'll give it a try. As @Harpolith said, I'd hate to go through all the prep work and then apply a soon-to-fail coating. But I remember being (mostly) impressed with Opti-Coat.

PS... Did they ever come up with a top-gloss that would last on top of Opti-Coat? My only "complaint" about Opti-Coat was that it didn't leave the glossiest/smoothest surface.

Go over it with Gloss-Coat. That is kind of what Opti-Coat Pro Plus is...OC with Gloss-Coat.

[1] I have an old, unopened syringe of the original Opti-Coat (circa 2011).

[2] Just bought a new (2017) car, and want to protect it.

[3] Looking for opinions on the best way to proceed -- are the new coatings substantially better and/or longer lasting than the old, original Opti-Coat? What I mean is... would it be worth the investment to discard the old Opti-Coat and use Opti-Gloss (or another competing product) instead?

I doubt that coating will be anygood.For 89.00 go with gyeon mohs.

They say it lasts forever if it's sealed right...but he'll know right away if it's not right. I'd actually be surprised if it isn't gelled. I'm afraid to look at the OC 2.0 I have left.

If it has yellowish color to it no good.

If it has yellowish color to it no good.

I'd agree with you that yellowing indicates it's starting to cure, but Optimum claimed they had a run of syringes that were leaching something into the product making it yellowish and that we shouldn't worry about that. I'm not sure that everyone bought that explanation...especially since if the syringe is leaching something into the product, that means the product is contaminated with...something.

Back