PDA

View Full Version : How do you choose.

Pages : [1] 2

Dragnframe
03-16-2017, 09:00 AM
As I start to round up stuff to start doing proper details on my cars and trucks, I find myself feeling over wellmed with what brand of products to use.

So, how do you guys choose which brand to buy at first? I thought I was going to just go with GG now I find myself liking how the CG products are labeled
for what there purpose is, Meg brand seems confusing to me right now with all the numbers they use. I feel like I am spinning in circles and haven't had a beer yet. lol

wolfpacker92
03-16-2017, 09:08 AM
Read, Read, Read, and then read some more. As you read the forums you'll find posters you like their work and many times you'll like their favorite brands. Each of us have our favorites and many times its a combination of brands depending on what you want. Many people have done the trial and error and you can save yourself a lot of money and time if you see what others thought of a specific product. I've been in this a long time and with the way products change and new companies come to the market these types of forums are your absolute best resource.

Desertnate
03-16-2017, 09:15 AM
I started very simply and cheaply to get started. I also didn't stick to a single product family.

For a compound/polish I went with Meguiars UP/UC. Both are consumer grade and very easy to use for someone just starting out. Griots or McKee's 37 will also be a good place to start. I did this to lower the risk. If I didn't like doing the work, or just couldn't get it right, I wouldn't be out a lot of money.

I also went with a budget brand DA and pads. While I don't regret the choice of DA, I really should have upgraded the backing plate and the pads to the Lake Country products I use today. It would have saved me a lot of frustration and money in replacing the cheaper pads that would self destruct after only a couple uses.

For sealant I went with a "can't fail" option of Collinite 845. It is great looking, economical, durable, and pretty easy to apply if you go thin enough. There are lots of great, budget sealants here that will serve you well.

When starting something new, I always like to start simple/inexpensive and then grow in complexity/cost and I learn more as my skills improve.

Cruzscarwash
03-16-2017, 09:28 AM
I started with off the shelf items way back when, then moved to mostly meg's, and to this day I feel that they are the standard in car care. you can get better or you can get worst but in the end everyone knows meguiars. as time went on I started to try out more and more brands to try and find the one the suited the needs of my environment. not every product plays nice in every condition and its a long game of trail and error. my shelf now has a mixture of about 6 brands for polishes and about 2 brands for everything else like interior cleaner, wheel cleaner (still looking for the right one) soaps, coatings, sealants, and so on. so really it takes time. I personally jumped on the CG bandwagon with all the flashy lights and catchy names but the products did do well for me except the leather cleaner that was good. in the end megs and McKee's make up the bulk of my inventory.

Paul A.
03-16-2017, 09:44 AM
Great advice so far! The best thing to do in my opinion is to just pick something you've researched a bit and dive in with it. Buy the smallest quantities and when they get low, buy something else that caught your attention. After a few "samplings" you'll probably find something that you like best.

In my experience I think I have tried every brand under the sun! I have settled on a couple that satisfy my needs and now buy quantity or bulk sizes but I can absolutely relate to how confusing it is in this product marketplace. for what it's worth, it really doesn't get any easier bsically because it is an incredibally progressive industry! and I think thats good but at first just pick something based on solid research and dive in. Once you get some hands on it kinda makes sense.

And then, as Mike P says, "find something you like and use it often". GREAT advice because you then get to learn more about the nuances of the product.

grambow
03-16-2017, 10:16 AM
Take it from a hobby-driveway detailer who’s spent WAY too much money on WAY too many products over the years.

Are you a hobbyist cleaning your family’s daily drivers? Or, do you have a Gargage-mahal where you painstakingly obsess over your Ferrari, Lambo or vintage NSX?

Figure out your process and identify a single product (or two) for each step. Find a good economical soap, a good quick detailer, all-purpose cleaner and so on. My advice would be to find products sold in gallons because a 16oz bottle of QD or soap will go real quick!

As others have said, search the forums. You’ll quickly find that everyone has their favorite and what works for one person doesn’t necessarily work for another. That will come up a lot! True sometimes, but you’ll also see some products are [more or less] universally regarded.

I live in WI so I detail in seasons. Last season and this season, I’ve decided to only buy the most bang my your buck products and really streamline my process. I’ve spent enough and read enough to quit buying every new product that comes out, “just to try it.”

I have a soap I like, a spray wax I like, a detailer, a polish and sealant, etc. I don’t stick to one family but I do give Megs Pro line in gallons a look before I buy anything else. They are proven products and they are economical.

I am also to the age where I need to make things easier on myself. Despite being pretty active, the contorting of marathon detail sessions kicks my ass for a couple days afterward. For that reason, I look for tools that make my life easier. A polisher that vibrates less, pads that work the best and good brushes, etc.

Feel free to PM me with specific questions. You are going to get a million answers to your question that may only overwhelm you more. I am not sure what your budget is but make sure no matter what, you are proud of your work when you step back. Notice I didn’t say finished. You’ll never be finished. HA!

dlc95
03-16-2017, 10:18 AM
I started with Meguiar's in the late 90's, and through the years I've stayed relatively aware of their changes.

It recently occurred to me that the biggest reason I use them, is because they're utilitarian in design and function. They're like tools, without a lot of flash and hype. They consistently meet or exceed my expectations.

I also like Menzerna for this reason, whose products I also use.

I've tried some CG products and wasn't impressed with the overall quality of most of them. I also wasn't thrilled with their customer service. However, I do have at least one of their products consistently on hand.

I'm not a fan of too many re-labeled things, regardless of whether they work, or are a great deal, etc. This applies to machine polishers, products, and pads - even though I have used some in the past. I try my best to support products actually made by the manufacturer selling them. It's just a personal thing.

As mentioned above, the Megs Ultimate line is what I recommend to people in my area just starting out. Paired with the Porter Cable 7424xp, and either Lake Country or Buff and Shine pads.

Eldorado2k
03-16-2017, 11:01 AM
20 yrs. ago I bought my 1st Eldorado. That was the 1st day I began to give a rip about cleaning a car... The car had been sitting for over a year so it was up to me to polish the turd.[emoji57]
1st thing I did was go to the auto parts store and buy a gallon of Meguiars Gold Class car wash and some of their Leather Wipes. It was so dirty I had to wash the car inside and out twice that 1st day. But once I was done I was sold on Meguiars. There was something about it that just made me feel like there was honest value, great quality and good people behind the brand.

I would've never guessed that someday I'd actually meet Barry Meguiar, but when I did, the 1st thing I told him was that story. He was all smiles.[emoji4]

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170316/a5fd6163db855de1cc71f032da39707f.jpg

Choose what makes you happy and enjoy the great results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike Moore
03-16-2017, 11:16 AM
Let's see if we can help...Let's start simple

What would you like to accomplish on your exterior?
(swirl removal, LSP durability, "looks", high gloss etc.)

Do you have a polishing machine? If so what brand and model?

We have all spent $$$ on "product of the week" marketing hype.
Take a deep breath...there are hundreds, if not 1,000's of products.

What is the best compound or polish? Everyone has their own opinion.
Which one is my favorite? The one that works on the car I'm working on.

Again, it comes back to what you want to accomplish on "your" vehicles.
What is your situation currently and where would you like to go in the future?

parshooter
03-16-2017, 12:43 PM
Figure out what products you want. Then find a thread here that starts with "What is the best...?" There is NO "best", but you will see a product or two that is more popular with the group. That's a good place to start. Just don't kick yourself after you buy something, because you will read that XXX is now better than YYY, which you just bought.

Jaretr1
03-16-2017, 12:45 PM
There are SO many great product lines out there. Meguiars is obviously the largest and best known, and for the most part their products are solid (as is Mothers, and Griots Garage etc). However, Mckee's 37 which is a relatively new line so far seems to be excellent, especially when it comes to ease of use and cost. The proprietor of that line is Bob Mckee (the guy who started Autogeek) and Nick the product manager is as true of a car care enthusiast as there is. There is not a Mckee's product that I have tried that did not work very well. Tons of reviews of their products on this forum as well.

AJ Peacock
03-16-2017, 01:00 PM
I just went through the same decision processes. I haven't received all my stuff yet!

I settled on (for a start) Wolfgang products for paint/trim/tires. Mckees for Glass, Wolfsteins for vinly (tonneau cover) + Iron-x + PorterCable DA + Lake County CCS pads + micro-fiber and applicators.

I ordered the items in small 'sets' If I was doing it again, i'd have bought the larger all in one sets (probably from Wolfgang) to get started.

I was able to take advantage of 15% and 20% sales, so that was great.

Anyway, that is how I solved the dilemma.

Hopefully spring will show up here in Michigan soon.

Hope that helps,
AJ

custmsprty
03-16-2017, 01:35 PM
As I start to round up stuff to start doing proper details on my cars and trucks, I find myself feeling over wellmed with what brand of products to use.

So, how do you guys choose which brand to buy at first? I thought I was going to just go with GG now I find myself liking how the CG products are labeled
for what there purpose is, Meg brand seems confusing to me right now with all the numbers they use. I feel like I am spinning in circles and haven't had a beer yet. lol

Don't let CG's pretty lableing lure you in. They do have some really good products and they have many middle of the packers as I call them.

CG Silk Shine is my favorite interior detailer.

HD Line is exceptional, great products and great value.

If you have HD Polish, HD Speed and HD Poxy you are pretty much good to go for exterior paint care and that'll cost you a total of $50.97 for all three in 16oz bottles and that's without any sales or discounts.

3D Professional Detailing Products, HD car care, 3D HD (http://www.autogeek.net/3d-car-care-products.html)

Check this out:

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/91677-2015-bmw-435i-meets-hd-speed-hd-poxy.html

Ceerokz
03-16-2017, 01:47 PM
A lot of patience. Planning. Your needs before what you want. .... they offer so much kits nowadays.

atgonzales
03-16-2017, 02:44 PM
One of the great thing Autogeek has is the free sample of their product line which is a great introduction of all Autogeek's own product line, albeit you have make a purchase to get a free sample which is not hard to get to a free sample and they sell their samples as well

Sent from my iPad using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)