Spot cleaning fabric convertible top

bal

Reaction score
Hi Mike - On the "insurance" thread yesterday, I mentioned some spots on a light-colored fabric top. Some pictures are below.
23Hle8p.jpg

Greenish spot (looks like oxidized copper color):
Nyn3B18.jpg

Dark/black spots that look like grease or from rubber moldings:
6g1nnO9.jpg

Would love to get your thoughts on spot cleaning these. Cleaning the entire top does not help.

Would love to get your thoughts on spot cleaning these. Cleaning the entire top does not help.

What have you used to clean the entire top? What's your process?

Whatever cleaner you use, hitting it with a steam cleaner may help. I just got a bunch of black grease stains out of a light tan colored headliner last week. I used my smaller steam cleaner with the round nylon brush and a MF towel wrapped around it. I keep forgetting the name of the steamer, but is the brand sold here that's yellow and gray and looks like a coffee pot. I didn't scrub AT ALL though. You could just smear the stain around. I blotted it, using the MF to absorb the stain, and repositioning the towel on the brush to get a new clean spot every time. I used a light mist of some stain extract from CG but I'm sure there's a comparable product sold through here.

View attachment 56166
View attachment 56167

Thanks for the suggestions. I pretty much do what Mike describes here. I've used both 303 and Raggtop convertible top products.

I do own a steam cleaner and had good success cleaning the original canvas areas that are not part of the convertible top (visible when the top is down). I will give that a go on these spots after I've re-cleaned the top.

Back