PDA

View Full Version : Glaze with coating?

ZiggyPopp
04-21-2017, 09:20 AM
Hi
Does anyone know if you should avoid using a glaze before applying a coating?

I am using either Meguiars #7 or Poor Boys black hole with CPRO CQuartz U.K.

Thank you
Carl

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Guz
04-21-2017, 09:21 AM
Yes it should be avoided with either of those products. Coatings require bare paint to bond to. Thus using a prep product to remove polishing oils from the painted surface.

FUNX650
04-21-2017, 09:34 AM
I'm wondering if the "condition" of the
paint warrants the use of these glazes...
then will the Coating provide for the
same features, as would the glazes.

Bob

KMG
04-21-2017, 10:36 AM
Glazes should be avoided with coatings as mentioned above. You need a nice clean surface for the coating to bond to.

zmcgovern45
04-21-2017, 12:04 PM
The purpose of a glaze is to help hide/fill imperfections in order to create a smooth and glossy surface. In order to do this, a glaze must leave behind residue that can fill in these imperfections. You will notice on the CarPro instructions for applying CQuartz and CQuartz UK, it specifically states that you need to use CarPro Eraser to remove all remaining oils from the surface after polishing..... this means that using a glaze prior to applying a coating is not the proper choice of products. You should correct the paint as needed to truly remove surface imperfections, or at the very least use a fine polish to ensure the surface is clean. Follow the polishing process with an alcohol/eraser wipe and then apply your coating.

Rsurfer
04-21-2017, 01:21 PM
The purpose of a glaze is to help hide/fill imperfections in order to create a smooth and glossy surface. In order to do this, a glaze must leave behind residue that can fill in these imperfections. You will notice on the CarPro instructions for applying CQuartz and CQuartz UK, it specifically states that you need to use CarPro Eraser to remove all remaining oils from the surface after polishing..... this means that using a glaze prior to applying a coating is not the proper choice of products. You should correct the paint as needed to truly remove surface imperfections, or at the very least use a fine polish to ensure the surface is clean. Follow the polishing process with an alcohol/eraser wipe and then apply your coating.
^this^ Except if you are using Essence as your finishing polish and CQuartz as your LSP. Essence acts like a primer for CQuartz and thus no need for a alcohol/Eraser wipe down.

zmcgovern45
04-21-2017, 01:24 PM
^this^ Except if you are using Essence as your finishing polish and CQuartz as your LSP. Essence acts like a primer for CQuartz and thus no need for a alcohol/Eraser wipe down.

FWIW - Essence relies on a certain amount of heat buildup to break down the oils in the polish (so I have been told) and therefore if Essence is used in a manner that does not generate enough heat (<- though I have never been told what quantifies "enough") it can interfere with the coating. For that reason, since we enjoyed using Essence as a finishing polish, we would still make it a habit to do an Eraser wipe after using Essence unless we were working on one of those cars with paint so soft that just giving it a dirty look would mar it.

Rsurfer
04-21-2017, 01:32 PM
FWIW - Essence relies on a certain amount of heat buildup to break down the oils in the polish (so I have been told) and therefore if Essence is used in a manner that does not generate enough heat (<- though I have never been told what quantifies "enough") it can interfere with the coating. For that reason, since we enjoyed using Essence as a finishing polish, we would still make it a habit to do an Eraser wipe after using Essence unless we were working on one of those cars with paint so soft that just giving it a dirty look would mar it.

To me it's a wasted step, but do what's comfortable for you.

Loach
04-21-2017, 06:27 PM
Coatings are such a limited use product, you need to figure out if the risk of them not bonding properly to a fully prepped and oil free surface is worth the cost without that prep work. That being said, I've used CQuartz UK over top of fresh CG Glossworkz glaze, as well as over fresh Pinnacle Souveran and I have not noticed any negative impact or noticeable difference in the behavior in the short term (2 months) compared to using it over Essence(without Eraser) or 3D HD Polish(with Eraser). The biggest performance impact I've seen was using it on top of a surface that while decontaminated, had not been polished with abrasives in a while.

Rsurfer
04-21-2017, 06:34 PM
Coatings are such a limited use product, you need to figure out if the risk of them not bonding properly to a fully prepped and oil free surface is worth the cost without that prep work. That being said, I've used CQuartz UK over top of fresh CG Glossworkz glaze, as well as over fresh Pinnacle Souveran and I have not noticed any negative impact or noticeable difference in the behavior in the short term (2 months) compared to using it over Essence(without Eraser) or 3D HD Polish(with Eraser). The biggest performance impact I've seen was using it on top of a surface that while decontaminated, had not been polished with abrasives in a while.

Wow, CQuartz UK over Pinnacle Souveran..one of the oiliest wax out there. I would think you would be able to pick up the CQuartz off the garage floor the next day. Shows you what I know.