PDA

View Full Version : Best Products for Quick Detailing at a Dealership

Delo91
05-01-2017, 11:03 PM
Hey guys! I've been reading a ton of stuff on this forum for a while now and have decided to take the plunge and get registered. So, here's to my first post! :dblthumb2:

In all seriousness though, here is my question...or novel...however you look at it. I have been working for a lower end dealership for quite some time now, and by lower end, I mean not a new car or "close to new" dealer. We have +/- 60 cars on the lot, and the majority are priced under $5,000 as a buy here pay here type setup. The cars are older and typically higher mileage with previous owners who had not paid too much attention do detail (excuse the pun) Some of the better vehicles get sent out to a somewhat local shop (we are in a country setting, about a 20 minute drive to the detail shop) and they come back looking nice. I wouldn't say they have a meticulous clean, however talking with the detailer he says he spends an average of 2-3 hours per car, and makes them "presentable" for putting them on the lot. They clean carpets, seats, plastics, glass, etc. also touching up some minor paint flaws on the body with a full exterior wash as well. I have a few years experience previously working for a Kia dealership cleaning new or very close to it vehicles. We used Huttons products. I wasn't crazy over their products, however for what I was cleaning they did the job. I have also cleaned vehicles as a side gig for friends and family. I have used OTC products and have experimented with various products until I found the ones that i've liked best. Products include RainX Glass Cleaner, Mothers VLR (LOVE this stuff - non greasy formula and leaves an awesome scent) Spray Nine as an APC and carpet stain remover (isn't the greatest for carpets but does the job with some arm power and a good scrubbing) I just really wish they offered RainX and VLR in larger quantities.

Many of the vehicles at work get left for me to clean. Tools available to me are a Mastercraft DA Polisher (used for a brush on heavy carpet stains) Rigid 6.5hp Vacuum, Aztec Hot Rod Extractor, an off brand 2,300PSI Hot/Cold Water Pressure Washer and obviously various brushes/MF Towels. My boss has been using chemicals for Tire Shine and Car Wash Shampoo he has purchased from the local Manheim Auto Auction. There's no name on this stuff so I couldn't tell ya who it's even made by, using it though it's definitely noticeable that this is pretty low grade stuff. For an APC he has a 5 Gallon Pail of Spray Nine, Glass Cleaner is a budget brand OTC Windex type solution. Carpet Solution is an OTC brand called Resolve (It actually does a pretty good job for what it is) and is what we use for spot treatments as well as solution for the extractor. Pretty limited supplies, Spray Nine is used for an engine degreaser as well as rim & tire cleaner (obviously with mediocre results) and the Tire Shine used for dressing interiors. This leaves a very greasy feel and the smell overtakes everything previously done on the interior. But what can you do when working with limited supplies?

As for my initial question. We are looking at going with some more professional cleaners and would love to hear every ones opinion. With doing lots of research, I am leaning towards Chemical Guys for an APC, Glass Cleaner, Interior Dressing, Carpet Spot Cleaner/Extractor Solution and Car Wash Soap. There's a CG Retailer not too far away from us so we could get supplies pretty easy without having to wait on shipping. There is also a more general retailer that carries "Big D's" (Never heard of them - how are their products?) Dr. Beasleys, some Sonax & Griot's Garage products. I'd like a Dressing that isn't too greasy but still leaves a nice shine. I can use the existing Tire Shine we have (my boss bought a WHOLE bunch) for dressing Tires and Engine Bays. I would also like to find a really good degreaser for Engine Bays as well as Rims (Is there a product that can do both?) With dealing in volume, I'd love to find a product that does a great job in the least time and not break the bank. This might be a bit of a contradiction, but it's the truth. That;s why I was leaning towards CG. Seem to have some good reviews and prices are along the same lines as the Big D's line supplied by the other retailer. I'd like to stay away from shipping if possible which is another reason I was leaning toward these brands.

I'm not 100% completely sold on those brands and i'd love to hear your opinions. I'm sure there's more and i'm leaving something out but I think i've covered the majority of it. I appreciate your replies!

VISITOR
05-01-2017, 11:14 PM
there are so many great products from different brands it would be hard for me to stick to just one. with that said, if i had to choose the megs (detailer line) has virtually everything you would need and are priced reasonably. the only thing i like/care for from cg's is their car soaps. there really is no 'best' as everyone has their own preference and experience with different products...

Meguiars Professional Detailer Products (http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-professional-products.html)

WillSports3
05-01-2017, 11:24 PM
If you want best bang for your buck, look at meguiars products. Don't bother with cg stuff unless it's soap. CG is not bad but it's actually pretty pricey when you look at the fact that their products are made for amateur joes so they have six products that do the same job. The meguiars professional line is your best bet, since you're doing production detailing and not concours detailing. For engine bay and rims, just go with a in apc. It's all in the dilution basically.

FUNX650
05-01-2017, 11:28 PM
Sounds like you're friendly with the
off-site Detailer. It'd be great if he'd
supply you with the names of any
Jobbers in your area, such as: Ardex;
Meguiar's; BAF/PRO; Malco; etc.

And:
Good luck in getting the owner to spring
for detailing products other than the ones
he's already purchased.

Bob

dcjredline
05-02-2017, 01:30 AM
Meguiars Detailer line

WileEC
05-05-2017, 10:19 PM
Another vote for the Meguiar's professional detail products. These are sold by the gallon, but work great. If you could only have two, for the outside of the car, I would go with their X-press Spray wax, as it works well as a detailer plus has the benefits of giving a bit of protection and works for a great variety of surfaces. If you wanted to add something for plastics and rubber, their All Season Dressing works well. A small army of quality MF towels is going to be key. All this said, having a waterless wash might also be a good one to have on hand. There are a bunch of them available in concentrated form (reducing the cost of application). I use a one-liter hand-pumped sprayer for application (rather than a spray bottle) as it applies quicker and is easier to apply evenly (at whatever amount the vehicle needs). I use two, one that is just a wash, and in the winter, one that is wash plus wax, since we have wicked winters here, and it's nice to add a little protection at the same time I do a quick wash to keep a vehicle slicker in the winter.

Good luck!