Caring for new (to me) aluminum wheels

amalik

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm a novice around here. A lot of great content, but a bit overwhelming.

I just bought some wheels off a 2015 Tacoma for my old 4Runner. Before putting them on, I want to do this right... how do I care for the protection of these wheels in the best possible manner? My old wheels never got any attention on the 4Runner and they look hideous and clouded with brake dust and dirt all around.

According to the interwebs, they are aluminum and powder coated in silver.

ALY69461 Toyota Tacoma Wheel Silver Painted #42611AD030

View attachment 56996

I see the word 'coating' going around here when it comes to wheels. What do I coat them with and how do you maintain that coating, i.e. can you wash as normal,etc? Or should I ignore that and just wax them? Also, best cleaner for them?

Please advise the best route for a beginner here, appreciate it!

There is no "best" route for a set of painted wheels. Depends on time, budget, and what you know. Once cleaned, they can be protected with a sealant, wax, or coating. Pros and cons to all options. Maintenance/cleaning will depend on you and what route you go. Since you seem to be comfortable doing nothing - next to nothing holds up well in those conditions. In my experience wheels stay best with regular attention, just like car paint. Ultimately, that will be up to you.

I have three vehicles I take care of and my approach to each of them is different (two painted, one chrome). One easier approach is to get the painted ones clean and protected, then use a spray wax as a detailer on a regular basis. This keeps the wheels in decent condition week by week and adds a bit of protection each time they are cleaned.

Good luck.

There is no "best" route for a set of painted wheels. Depends on time, budget, and what you know. Once cleaned, they can be protected with a sealant, wax, or coating. Pros and cons to all options. Maintenance/cleaning will depend on you and what route you go. Since you seem to be comfortable doing nothing - next to nothing holds up well in those conditions. In my experience wheels stay best with regular attention, just like car paint. Ultimately, that will be up to you.

I have three vehicles I take care of and my approach to each of them is different (two painted, one chrome). One easier approach is to get the painted ones clean and protected, then use a spray wax as a detailer on a regular basis. This keeps the wheels in decent condition week by week and adds a bit of protection each time they are cleaned.

Good luck.

Thanks for the feedback.

I have some spray waxes I could use after they are 'protected'. Could you advise a product for protection and not the kind that will prevent another kid from popping out?

Edit: i found this link, i will read through it as well.

http://www.autogeek.net/how-to-clean-clear-coat-wheels.html

Back