Leaking from decontamination bottles

kevincwelch

Reaction score
Does anyone have a problem with leaking from their decontamination bottles? It doesn't matter whether it's iron X or TriX or Gyeon iron remover, I seem to get leaking from all of these types of bottles. They are the bottles supplied by the manufacturer.

I was thinking of purchasing a tray to put underneath these bottles to collect anything that leaks. Not sure whether I should leave the nozzle open or closed. It seems to happen either way.

(Sent via my mobile device...)

Does anyone have a problem with leaking from their decontamination bottles? It doesn't matter whether it's iron X or TriX or Gyeon iron remover, I seem to get leaking from all of these types of bottles. They are the bottles supplied by the manufacturer.

I was thinking of purchasing a tray to put underneath these bottles to collect anything that leaks. Not sure whether I should leave the nozzle open or closed. It seems to happen either way.

I experience the same issue with my IronX bottles. I've been placing them in plastic sacks before putting back in my storage cabinets.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

I have been buying 32 oz refills of IronX. I have been refilling a Spraymaster Chemical Resistant spray bottle for over 2 years with no leaks.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Wow, a leak from those will sure made the area stinky. I double zip bag iron x and I can still smell it.

Usually caused by pressure buildup due to changes in temperature or barometric pressure. Try loosening the cap a little to allow pressure to vent without forcing it through the pump mechanism.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Autogeekonline mobile app

After having an iron x bottle leak at work leaving the other guys wondering what-died-where?, I've taken to reinstalling the shipping cap on the bottle and clearing out the sprayer with clean water. Then everything goes in a gallon ziploc for safety's sake.

Overkill? Probably. Better than losing a bunch of product and dealing with the stink/mess though.

Usually caused by pressure buildup due to changes in temperature or barometric pressure. Try loosening the cap a little to allow pressure to vent without forcing it through the pump mechanism.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Autogeekonline mobile app
I think I might try this.

Oh, I thought you meant it was leaking from the seam or thru the bottle itself.

No. I was closing the nozzles on all my bottles, and I went a long time through the winter without leaking from the decontam bottles. However, every spring the decontam bottles tend to leak around the nozzle.

So, I just bought a couple of trays and will place my decon bottles in them and loose the cap a bit to see if that helps.

...I've taken to reinstalling the shipping cap on the bottle and clearing out the sprayer with clean water...

:xyxthumbs:
This is exactly what I have been doing since I first started using decontamination products: never had a problem with bottles or nozzles leaking.

I had a thread on this a while back.... I started taking the spray nozzle off and using the reg cap to store the IronX and they haven't leaked since.

Back