Any Point in Wax over Sealant except looks?

BlackCoupe

Reaction score
With two black cars to keep sharp looking, I want to try to keep it simpler. I don't mind an extra wax step on the sports car, but keeping up the FJ Cruiser as a daily driver that will not be garaged at night (my son has taken over one of the two garage spots) might take all of the fun out of this.

So are there any protective or other benefits besides "depth" to layering wax over Wolfgang's Sealant? Is there a point to two coats of sealant (with 24 hours cure time)?

Layering wax will give you depth and additional protection, but not as durable as sealant.
Layering sealant is beneficial for it's durability, 2-3 coats, 12 hours apart.
It does not take a long time to add a coat of wax, so on your daily driver, you could go with liquid Souveran, as on sports car - paste.

Do it. When I used Klasse SG, adding multiple layers made it look better. It darkened the paint nicely, and helps with durability. Wax helps with the depth and warmth, and a little more durability. What will it take? An hour max? Totally worth it.

supercharged said:
Layering wax will give you depth and additional protection, but not as durable as sealant.
Layering sealant is beneficial for it's durability, 2-3 coats, 12 hours apart.
It does not take a long time to add a coat of wax, so on your daily driver, you could go with liquid Souveran, as on sports car - paste.

:iagree: go with the sealant route.....and wax as as helping hand,,,

stick with just a sealant for durability. You can always add some extra "POW" by using any of the 1/2 dozen Qd'ers that offer extra gloss. The only reason to use a wax over a sealant is preference to depth and wetness.

killrwheels@autogeek said:
stick with just a sealant for durability. You can always add some extra "POW" by using any of the 1/2 dozen Qd'ers that offer extra gloss. The only reason to use a wax over a sealant is preference to depth and wetness.

Dude! You are two hours too late with that one! Henceforth, please set your alarm for 6:00 AM on Sunday mornings to make sure there are no pending questions from me that might effect the scheduling of my day!

I did the Souveran over Wolfgang Sealant on the truck, but only the sealant on that white roof you lust after. Not much to pop on a white top unless I am in a police chase and the News copters are rolling tape.

This truck will never look better than it does right now. Wheel wells, undercarriage, finish, etc. Kind of sad--things can only go downhill from here. It might look GREAT next year, but never this pristine.

I am thinking that that Souveran goes on and comes off so easily, I may use that on everything--just wish I could keep friend's cars overnight so I could do a sealant first.

I am sure durability of Souveran has been discussed here. Can you point me to a thread--is it just a pretty face for a few days. I have been using it in the sports car, but I fuss with that so often that I have no idea about durability.

Souveran is not a very durable product. It offers 3-4 weeks of protection by itself. Crystal Mist helps after each wash to keep it going. It is the show winner of waxes, but has some weaknesses also. But remember Souveran takes only 20-30 minutes and surely you can find that time once a month ??

Why not take some black tape, and make some numbers on the top of that black/white unit. Then you could undermine the air speed patrol !! (j/k)

Why not take some black tape, and make some numbers on the top of that black/white unit. Then you could undermine the air speed patrol !! (j/k)

Oh, that is cold! Clever...but cold. One Adam Twelve! Robbery in progress!

Back