PDA

View Full Version : Clay bar

nine
06-27-2017, 03:14 PM
I saw a video saying all clay is created equal. Fine grade clay brand C is the same as fine grade brand B.

Do you all subscribe to the line of thinking?

Thanks

Buster906
06-27-2017, 03:17 PM
I prefer clay pads. Like Nanoskin

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Kamakaz1961
06-27-2017, 03:42 PM
I prefer clay pads. Like Nanoskin

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

+1 on Nanoskin....I use the Blue towel. You cut your claying time about 1/2 with the Nanoskin

FUNX650
06-27-2017, 03:43 PM
I saw a video saying
all clay is created equal.

Fine grade clay brand C is
the same as fine grade brand B.

Do you all subscribe to the line of thinking?

I sure don't; OMMV.

Bob

nine
06-27-2017, 05:43 PM
Anyone have thoughts on these clay bars

http://www.autogeek.net/bulk-detailing-clay.html

nine
07-01-2017, 12:19 AM
I didn't want to mess around with the generic clay (although I bought from AG) on my nice car.

So I took the advice I got
and bought a fine grade nanoskin

Thanks

james751993
07-01-2017, 01:28 AM
I have read that the OTC clay bars are on the milder side, I use clay magic fine grade and I can confirm that it pulls contaminants quicker that the meguiars otc clay.

James

VISITOR
07-01-2017, 01:46 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8c8L9WwwjFY

Ford Fest
07-22-2017, 08:44 AM
I was told that the Griot's clay is more aggressive than the Megs sold at the big box retailers, so I thought I would give it a try. I'm working on a severe issue with paint. It is fallout from a powder coating business that is next door to a friend's shop. I'm using Griot's clay bar for the first time. Is this normal for the bar to leave behind this much residue on nitrile gloves? I have to work to peel it off of the gloves. Hind sight, I should have purchased one of the Griot's pads, but my local high end detail supply shop doesn't stock them.

BlackMDX
07-22-2017, 11:56 AM
The OP asked a pretty clear question about clay bars. I'd like to hear answers to that question. I'm not interested in recommendations for Nanoskin or other synthetics - that's a different thread!

nine
07-22-2017, 12:12 PM
I was just curious if I should feel totally comfortable with the quality of generic brand clay compared to other more expensive.

I bought the generic 3 pack from Autogeek but worried about going cheap on a product I was going to use on my nice car and a product that potentially causes marring.

KirkH
07-22-2017, 12:30 PM
There's this whole thing about patents on the automotive clay in America. All the clay sold in the US is from the same manufacturer, just different company labels for the distributors.

I order my clay from England. There is no comparison. The English clay does a much better job and does not mar as much. It doesn't even feel the same. The English clay is much firmer and not as "gooey." (?)

nine
07-22-2017, 12:37 PM
That is what I saw. Don't think the video explained this being the case for American clay only.

Thanks for the reply. Very interesting.

How do I get clay made in England? Or is this not ok to say here?

KirkH
07-22-2017, 12:39 PM
That is what I saw. Don't think the video explained this being the case for American clay only.

Thanks for the reply. Very interesting.

How do I get clay made in England? Or is this not ok to say here?

there are a lot of English detail sites selling products. Just have to pay shipping.

kkritsilas
07-22-2017, 10:04 PM
The US clay patents have expired. You were talking about the Clay Magic clays and patent. They are no longer in force. That is why Mother's (just an example) has its own clay formulation, as do Chemical Guys. All the clays are not the same, and they do not come from the same factory any more.