HD Speed, just want to double check some stuff here.

Richs66

Reaction score
https://www.autogeekonline.net/foru...-hd-speed-wrong-pad-choice-bad-technique.html

Little confused here, read this thread and the guy used dime sized spots, people replyed to use pea size dots...........now is this after you prime the pad with product then use the pea size dots.

Find it hard to believe if using dime sized or pea sized spots on a new pad without priming the pad is too much product for HD speed, you would think just priming the pad would be enough.

You can tell I don"t do this much. LOL

So is the correct way, prime the pad, then pea sized dots or what.?

Rich

Prime the pad by using 4 pea sized dots...or use the 3 and sprits with half a trigger pull of clay lube/detail spray...then just use 3 pea size drops afterwards till you use a new pad or clean your pad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No prime, 5 pea sized drops, let dry for atleast a half hour before removal. Better yet, do the one step to the entire vehilce then go back and wipe off. This let's the Poxy part of Speed set up and cure.

No prime, 5 pea sized drops, let dry for atleast a half hour before removal. Better yet, do the one step to the entire vehilce then go back and wipe off. This let's the Poxy part of Speed set up and cure.

Hey Custmsprty, sent you a pm, was wondering if you got it.

Rich

^^^This^^^

I was unsure my first time using Speed & primed the pad. I wasn't too happy. Next go-round I just put a pea-sized drop in the middle, and squeezed out a thin circle of product around the circumference of the pad. Like I said, thin circle.

That was a much better way than priming the pad IMO.

And I usually do half my truck, have a beer break, then remove. It removes very easily.

^^^This^^^

I was unsure my first time using Speed & primed the pad. I wasn't too happy. Next go-round I just put a pea-sized drop in the middle, and squeezed out a thin circle of product around the circumference of the pad. Like I said, thin circle.

That was a much better way than priming the pad IMO.

And I usually do half my truck, have a beer break, then remove. It removes very easily.

Paul, you do it a little different than me...........I usually knock off 4-5 beers, then proceed. LOL........then I sit back and wonder, What happened to this mess. LOL

Gonna let her rip this weekend, and see how it turns out.

Rich

Paul, you do it a little different than me...........I usually knock off 4-5 beers, then proceed. LOL........then I sit back and wonder, What happened to this mess. LOL

Gonna let her rip this weekend, and see how it turns out.

Rich

Where did you get "one beer" from "beer break"??

Lol

Good luck, Rich. Once you get your technique down, you'll be off and running. :xyxthumbs:

With an AIO like speed or any AIO, you apply the product heavy or wet. That means more than just dime or pea size product on a pad.

I apply roughly 2 thin/med circular lines of speed around the pads. With polisher off--spread around the panels and the go to town!
It works great---cuts nice and finishes out nicely as well without splattering.

Tom

I've read before that you don't prime the pad when using Speed. What is the reason for this?

With an AIO like speed or any AIO, you apply the product heavy or wet. That means more than just dime or pea size product on a pad.

I apply roughly 2 thin/med circular lines of speed around the pads. With polisher off--spread around the panels and the go to town!
It works great---cuts nice and finishes out nicely as well without splattering.

Tom

Is this really how you've been using Speed with good results? What speed are you running your polisher on? I use only 4-5 pea sized dots on my pads and maybe 3-4 subsequently with great results. In my experience being a bit liberal with HD products seem to work best.

Mike Phillips quote below. Copied from another thread...

The key to using one-step cleaner/waxes on neglected cars is to use these types of products heavy or wet.

It's always stated,

Apply a thin coat of wax

And that's true for a non-cleaning LSP that's being applied to paint in perfect condition.

But when using a one-step cleaner/wax or AIO on neglected paint you want plenty of abrasives, chemical cleaners, cleaning solvents and lubrication to be working for you to undo the damage.

That's what is meant by using a product heavy or wet.

Don't overuse a product just don't skimp when using cleaner/waxes. Save the skimping for the thin layer of a show car wax or sealant.

Tom

Mike Phillips quote below. Copied from another thread...

The key to using one-step cleaner/waxes on neglected cars is to use these types of products heavy or wet.

It's always stated,

Apply a thin coat of wax

And that's true for a non-cleaning LSP that's being applied to paint in perfect condition.

But when using a one-step cleaner/wax or AIO on neglected paint you want plenty of abrasives, chemical cleaners, cleaning solvents and lubrication to be working for you to undo the damage.

That's what is meant by using a product heavy or wet.

Don't overuse a product just don't skimp when using cleaner/waxes. Save the skimping for the thin layer of a show car wax or sealant.

Tom

Tom imho and personal experience this doesn't apply to Speed, it's the direct opposite. On 3d's website (youtube google HD Speed 1:24 minute video) their guru shows 4 dime size drops. I personally prefer 5 large pea sized drops. But priming the pad or using Speed heavy and wet leads to saturated pads and gummy pads.

Is this really how you've been using Speed with good results? What speed are you running your polisher on? I use only 4-5 pea sized dots on my pads and maybe 3-4 subsequently with great results. In my experience being a bit liberal with HD products seem to work best.

I think you meant "conservative" with the product. But yes, HD Speed and HD Polish+ both work best on an unprimed pad and a very little amount of product. I know Mike Phillips says that all cleaner waxes should be used "wet" or "heavy" but with HD Speed this will lead to gumming up the pad and some have even experienced HD speed dusting and becoming difficult to remove when using too much product. HD Speed and HD Polish+ are two products that are HEAVILY lubricated, but unlike Menzerna are not in the least bit "oily" They are a cut above anything else on the market in terms of ease of use, adaptability, and finishing ability on both hard and soft paints. While HD Adapt was an amazing 1-step polish, HD hasn't been able to develop a compound with the ease of use, working time, ease of removal, cutting ability, or versatility of industry standards like FG400, M100, D300, Fast Correcting Cream, Scholl's S3 gold, etc.

IMO the best thing 3D could do is bring back HD Adapt and send both HD Cut+ and 3D 501 back to the drawing board. It's amazing to me that products like Speed, Polish+, and Adapt are as good if not better than any other polishes and AIO's available, yet both HD Cut+ and 3D 501 are a few notches below even older compounds like M105.

Yes, correct! I meant, conservative. ;) been watching too much CNN lately...

I think you meant "conservative" with the product. But yes, HD Speed and HD Polish+ both work best on an unprimed pad and a very little amount of product. I know Mike Phillips says that all cleaner waxes should be used "wet" or "heavy" but with HD Speed this will lead to gumming up the pad and some have even experienced HD speed dusting and becoming difficult to remove when using too much product. HD Speed and HD Polish+ are two products that are HEAVILY lubricated, but unlike Menzerna are not in the least bit "oily" They are a cut above anything else on the market in terms of ease of use, adaptability, and finishing ability on both hard and soft paints. While HD Adapt was an amazing 1-step polish, HD hasn't been able to develop a compound with the ease of use, working time, ease of removal, cutting ability, or versatility of industry standards like FG400, M100, D300, Fast Correcting Cream, Scholl's S3 gold, etc.

IMO the best thing 3D could do is bring back HD Adapt and send both HD Cut+ and 3D 501 back to the drawing board. It's amazing to me that products like Speed, Polish+, and Adapt are as good if not better than any other polishes and AIO's available, yet both HD Cut+ and 3D 501 are a few notches below even older compounds like M105.

Amen to 95% of this, thanks for posting this brother. Bring back Adapt, they screwed the pooch on that one. My 5% comment is becasue I haven't used 5% of the products you commented on ie: Scholl's, Megs and never will on the megs side. But that's just me.

This is perhaps one of the greatest posts on AG from a fellow member re aio's, kudos to mwoywod :dblthumb2:

I think you meant "conservative" with the product.

Thanks for mentioning that... I read that comment like 5 times wondering if I had somehow missed something, trying to make sense of it like "wait what"?? Lol.

There is no need to prime with 3D/HD products. Less is more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With AIO products in general I use lots of product and more pads.

I prime by coating pad completely with thin layer of product and spin it on the paint for 10 seconds, then add 3 pea size drops of working product.

Lower speed on DA (4-5) and clean pad after each section.

Usually three pads for whole car although with ThinPro pads only one or two.

With AIO products in general I use lots of product and more pads.

I prime by coating pad completely with thin layer of product and spin it on the paint for 10 seconds, then add t 3 pea size drops of working product.

Lower speed on DA (4-5) and cleam pad after each section.

Usually three pads gor whole car although with ThinPro pads only one or two.

As noted by Pat and my earlier post, priming doesn't apply to HD Speed or their polishes. I've been using them for a couple years now and it's not necessary nor adviseable.

I run at 5-6 with Speed and orange flat pads, regardless whether I"m using my Rupes DA's or G-21.

HD Speed must be different then.

Ignore the reply.

Back