PDA

View Full Version : Any Acoustic Guitar Players use anything to Polish off marks on Guitar?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

willowcat11
07-02-2017, 06:33 PM
Just checking to see if you guys use something to polish off marks and scratches on Guitar.

Thanku!

dlc95
07-02-2017, 07:12 PM
I've used Meguiar's Ultimate Compound on guitars and drums.

SabbyNJ
07-02-2017, 07:32 PM
I think Jescar polishes specializes in this. I may be wrong, but worth checking out online.

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

willowcat11
07-02-2017, 11:47 PM
Well this all sounds cool!

willowcat11
07-03-2017, 12:06 AM
Man, I would have never guessed, and I almost thought you were kidding Sabby. Jescar really does, and it seems they are pretty darn dedicated in making an outstanding product for Guitars. Looks like a lot of homework was done.

Thank for sharing that with me man!

kkritsilas
07-03-2017, 01:54 AM
I know 3 luthiers/guitar repair guys. All of them use Meguiar's #2, followed by Meguiar's #9. This is all done by hand, and is done on an as needed basis. Most guitar marks will come off with plain water, especially on the poly finishes, not as easy on nitro finished guitars, but most of them will also come off with water. The satin finished guitars don't ever get the Meguiar's treatment, as it will leave a shiny spot, unless the satin finish already has shiny spots on it, in which case, the owner geta a call on which way they want to go.

willowcat11
07-03-2017, 12:57 PM
I know 3 luthiers/guitar repair guys. All of them use Meguiar's #2, followed by Meguiar's #9. This is all done by hand, and is done on an as needed basis. Most guitar marks will come off with plain water, especially on the poly finishes, not as easy on nitro finished guitars, but most of them will also come off with water. The satin finished guitars don't ever get the Meguiar's treatment, as it will leave a shiny spot, unless the satin finish already has shiny spots on it, in which case, the owner geta a call on which way they want to go.

Thanku kkritsilas! This is VERY helpful! Have a Great day man!

LSNAutoDetailing
07-03-2017, 03:32 PM
Being a guitarist myself, isn't the idea to not remove the scratches, rather let the guitar get worn, finish removed, have tarnished parts and pieces and look beat-up as a symbol of your dedication to the instrument, the long nights toiled in the rough and tumble, and show that you are a dedicated road-hardened warrior of the six-string? :)

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/3483/willie_nelson_guitar.jpg

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/3483/SRV_number1.jpg

kkritsilas
07-03-2017, 04:14 PM
Being a guitarist myself, isn't the idea to not remove the scratches, rather let the guitar get worn, finish removed, have tarnished parts and pieces and look beat-up as a symbol of your dedication to the instrument, the long nights toiled in the rough and tumble, and show that you are a dedicated road-hardened warrior of the six-string? :)

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/3483/willie_nelson_guitar.jpg

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/3483/SRV_number1.jpg

You are confusing wear with dirt. There is nothing (aside from a respray or even other repeairs) that can do anything about wear. I don't care how much you try, there is no compound/polish that can replace missing finish. There is nothing wrong with honest wear. I took the original poster to be asking about stubborn stains and very light scratches, not missing paint or nitro.

Some people like the "worn in" look, some don't. Some people pay extra to have guitars "distressed" by a factory. Some like new guitars so that they can put their own wear in the guitar. Others like to see a guitar intact and with all of its original finish (me included). Ever notice the way that guitars are graded? If the above two guitars were not the associated with famous guitar players, their value would be far below the same guitar with its finish intact. Guitarists are really strange about stuff like that; really, it is the guitar COLLECTORS are a strange lot. Most of them would pay more for a beat up, cracked top guitar with bad tuners, than one that has been properly looked after, because the beat up guitar is "more original". Real guitarists, who make a living playing guitar would take the best sounding, and most reliable guitar, because that is what puts food on the table.

So, you choose what appeals to you. Some would pick the Willie Nelson guitar, others would pick the best sounding example of the same model and year of the same guitar. Leaving Willie Nelson's association with the guitar out of it, the guitar would be graded out as "poor", and it would be priced accordingly. The same model/year guitar, with all of its finish intact, without the extra hole in the tip, would bring a lot more money.

Also note, that a lot of the "wear" that you see in the two guitars is not due to playing, but due to body chemistry issues. There are people whose perspiration is extremely acidic, and that adds to the finish coming off the guitar. The arm bevel on SRV's guitar, or the area behind the bridge on Willie Nelson's guitar don't see a lot of pick strikes, yet they are still missing a lot of finish. Some of that is friction wear, but I know that a lot of it was body chemistry induced. I have a friend of a luthier friend, who is an extremely good guitarist, and he can kill a set of acoustic strings in 30 minutes due to corrosion.

LSNAutoDetailing
07-03-2017, 04:43 PM
You are confusing wear with dirt. There is nothing (aside from a respray or even other repeairs) that can do anything about wear. I don't care how much you try, there is no compound/polish that can replace missing finish. There is nothing wrong with honest wear. I took the original poster to be asking about stubborn stains and very light scratches, not missing paint or nitro.

Some people like the "worn in" look, some don't. Some people pay extra to have guitars "distressed" by a factory. Some like new guitars so that they can put their own wear in the guitar. Others like to see a guitar intact and with all of its original finish (me included). Ever notice the way that guitars are graded? If the above two guitars were not the associated with famous guitar players, their value would be far below the same guitar with its finish intact. Guitarists are really strange about stuff like that; really, it is the guitar COLLECTORS are a strange lot. Most of them would pay more for a beat up, cracked top guitar with bad tuners, than one that has been properly looked after, because the beat up guitar is "more original". Real guitarists, who make a living playing guitar would take the best sounding, and most reliable guitar, because that is what puts food on the table.

So, you choose what appeals to you. Some would pick the Willie Nelson guitar, others would pick the best sounding example of the same model and year of the same guitar. Leaving Willie Nelson's association with the guitar out of it, the guitar would be graded out as "poor", and it would be priced accordingly. The same model/year guitar, with all of its finish intact, without the extra hole in the tip, would bring a lot more money.

Also note, that a lot of the "wear" that you see in the two guitars is not due to playing, but due to body chemistry issues. There are people whose perspiration is extremely acidic, and that adds to the finish coming off the guitar. The arm bevel on SRV's guitar, or the area behind the bridge on Willie Nelson's guitar don't see a lot of pick strikes, yet they are still missing a lot of finish. Some of that is friction wear, but I know that a lot of it was body chemistry induced. I have a friend of a luthier friend, who is an extremely good guitarist, and he can kill a set of acoustic strings in 30 minutes due to corrosion.

A google search will show that there are members on this forum (I think Mike Phillips too) that have used automotive compounds and machine polished a guitar. Having said that, since there were already good replies with remediation, my post above was an attempt at levity (humor).

I think it goes with out saying, looking at my guitars, which camp I'm in (clean, but played...)... considering they have all been well gigged, traveled throughout the US and Europe and all three are 20 to 25 years old..... :)

1992 Gibson LP Custom
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/3483/IMG_2456.jpg

2005 Fender Custom Shop Tele "Jr"
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/3483/IMG_24582.jpg

1996 Fender US 50th Anniv Strat
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/3483/IMG_24757.jpg

kkritsilas
07-03-2017, 05:21 PM
The only people that should be machine polishing guitars are the manufacturers and possibly hand builders. Players or repair people shouldn't need to. Jescar is most likely sellling compounds/polishes to the "big" manufacturers (Gibson, Fender, Godin, maybe Guild, a variety of large Far Eastern factories), the majority of the volume of which are products with poly finishes. I do know that all of the factories polish their guitars after the UV or heat cure with long shaft bench grinders that have buffing wheels, which is probably where the Jescar polish is used.

Sorry for missing the attempt at humor, my bad.

Nice guitar collection. Love the Tele with its two P90s (big fan of P90s). Is the Strat modified, or did it come that way (I see an extra switch there just above the 5 way)?

willowcat11
07-03-2017, 05:27 PM
Yeah, I just like knowing that I am taking the best care of anything I own. I don't mind regular wear on my guitar, because it reflects the joy and toil I have had playing on it. But at the same time, I like keeping the things I own, looking in the best condition possible.

Just like my car. I understand that over time my car is going to show wear, and that's totally ok. But I still want to do my absolute best, to keep it as Beautiful and shiny as I possibly can too.

LSNAutoDetailing
07-03-2017, 06:42 PM
The only people that should be machine polishing guitars are the manufacturers and possibly hand builders. Players or repair people shouldn't need to. Jescar is most likely sellling compounds/polishes to the "big" manufacturers (Gibson, Fender, Godin, maybe Guild, a variety of large Far Eastern factories), the majority of the volume of which are products with poly finishes. I do know that all of the factories polish their guitars after the UV or heat cure with long shaft bench grinders that have buffing wheels, which is probably where the Jescar polish is used.

Sorry for missing the attempt at humor, my bad.

Nice guitar collection. Love the Tele with its two P90s (big fan of P90s). Is the Strat modified, or did it come that way (I see an extra switch there just above the 5 way)?

Thanks!

The 05 Tele Jr. was Fender's first attempt at Custom Shop guitars, under the direction of Jol Dantzig who later went on to Hamer Guitars. The P-90's are Semour Duncan and were actually hand-wound by Seymour himself. The body has 11 chambers and has a set neck. It's like a little ES-335 on fire! I believe....(if Wikipedia is right), there were only 150 made in 2005.

https://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/3483/medium/IMG_24651.JPG

https://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/3483/medium/IMG_2464.JPG

You are correct, the Strat has a Duncan Cool-Rails, and a 3-way tap installed. I had my luthier Tippin Guitar in Marblehead MA do all the work. All three guitars have bone nuts as well. You'll see the 3-way toggle near the volume control. Down is 1 Rail closest to bridge, middle is both (hum-bucker) and up is the rail closest to the middle pup, which sounds very cool!

https://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/3483/medium/IMG_24773.JPG

LSNAutoDetailing
07-03-2017, 06:47 PM
Yeah, I just like knowing that I am taking the best care of anything I own. I don't mind regular wear on my guitar, because it reflects the joy and toil I have had playing on it. But at the same time, I like keeping the things I own, looking in the best condition possible.

Just like my car. I understand that over time my car is going to show wear, and that's totally ok. But I still want to do my absolute best, to keep it as Beautiful and shiny as I possibly can too.

Sorry Willowcat, I didn't mean to hijack your thread. My attempt at levity was to point out that sometimes guitars with a few scratches here and there are like grey hairs on our head, they show a sense of maturity, dignity and experience. :)

kkritsilas
07-03-2017, 08:11 PM
Thanks!

The 05 Tele Jr. was Fender's first attempt at Custom Shop guitars, under the direction of Jol Dantzig who later went on to Hamer Guitars. The P-90's are Semour Duncan and were actually hand-wound by Seymour himself. The body has 11 chambers and has a set neck. It's like a little ES-335 on fire! I believe....(if Wikipedia is right), there were only 150 made in 2005.

https://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/3483/medium/IMG_24651.JPG

https://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/3483/medium/IMG_2464.JPG

You are correct, the Strat has a Duncan Cool-Rails, and a 3-way tap installed. I had my luthier Tippin Guitar in Marblehead MA do all the work. All three guitars have bone nuts as well. You'll see the 3-way toggle near the volume control. Down is 1 Rail closest to bridge, middle is both (hum-bucker) and up is the rail closest to the middle pup, which sounds very cool!

https://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/3483/medium/IMG_24773.JPG

The work was done by Bill Tippin's shop? Has to be perfect then, if the man himself is any indication. I didn't know his shop did work on electrics, but hishandbuilt acoustics are probably in the top 5 on the planet for everything: tone, playability, finish, joint work, fret work, all of it. He's quite the gentleman, too.