Underbody wash safe for newer GM trucks?

marshallz3m

Reaction score
So I'm looking at the frame of my 2015 GMC Sierra, and realized that it has a thick, wax-like coating applied at the factory. It is somewhat soft, thick, and a little tacky. I am hesitant to use anything that might degrade or damage the coating since it is there to prevent corrosion of the frame.

Has anyone dealt with this stuff before? I want to clean the layer of dirt and road grime off of the underside, but I'm not sure how.

Thanks!
M.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just give it a good power wash and leave it be. You don't want to strip off the protection underneath just to have a super clean undercarriage which is unreasonable considering I assume this is a dd.

Just give it a good power wash and leave it be. You don't want to strip off the protection underneath just to have a super clean undercarriage which is unreasonable considering I assume this is a dd.

Exactly.

And, I'd be more worried about how to clean those "black carpeted" wheel wells on the GM trucks. Lol

Frame grease is what i call it, nasty stuff for sure in hot weather, your best bet is a garden hose.
Under no curcumstance agitate with a brush, don't ask me how i know.

I am not a fan of the carpeted wheel wells. I have dealt with them a few times with family/friends vehicles, also the rear wells on my car have it. The best advice I can give is to clean the best you can, I use a mild APC and a well brush. Let them dry, then apply 303 Fabric Guard. It isn't perfect but in my opinion it helps quite a bit. When I do my weekly wash, I just hit them with my PW, and they look pretty good. I do this routine every couple months or so. The picture below was taken a couple months ago for another reason. But the little bit of the well you can see is pretty clean, and it was awhile since being treated.

I am not a fan of the carpeted wheel wells. I have dealt with them a few times with family/friends vehicles, also the rear wells on my car have it. The best advice I can give is to clean the best you can, I use a mild APC and a well brush. Let them dry, then apply 303 Fabric Guard. It isn't perfect but in my opinion it helps quite a bit. When I do my weekly wash, I just hit them with my PW, and they look pretty good. I do this routine every couple months or so. The picture below was taken a couple months ago for another reason. But the little bit of the well you can see is pretty clean, and it was awhile since being treated.
Thank you for the advice, I never thought of applying fabric gaurd to it. I would love to ask the creator of fabric wheel wells what the heck he, or she, was thinking!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Autogeekonline mobile app

On the carpeted wheel wells on cars I'm cleaning on a regular basis I just use high pressure water. I may try the 303. It's been my experience that brushes just fray the fibers and they start holding more dirt.

Thank you for the advice, I never thought of applying fabric gaurd to it. I would love to ask the creator of fabric wheel wells what the heck he, or she, was thinking!

Yea they are a pain but are used for additional sound deadening.

Yea they are a pain but are used for additional sound deadening.

If someone needs that much sound deadening in a truck, they should look into a car or teleportation.

I have a buddy who was on the fence about getting a Chevy or a Ram. He chose Chevy. After getting his wheel wells dirty a few times and complaining how awful they were to clean, he traded the Chevy in at my Chrysler dealer for a Ram. Truck had 1,100 miles on it.

And that's just one guy that I know of. GM really F'd up installing this on a pickup. Jmo

Back