PDA

View Full Version : what am doing wrong?

seabreeze
12-23-2007, 06:37 PM
I have had a couple of cars that have not come out like I wanted. One example; this truck was used for hunting so you can imagine the tree scrapes and everything going down the sides. I used a yellow wool pad with 3m finesse it compound, took all the marks out. next 3m swirl remover with 3m black, looked like I was headed in the right direction; next 3m ultrafinna with there light blue that goes with it. Finished with Autoglm's Sealcoat. Looked great but there with still some swirls or maybe you could it halograms or micromaring? not sure. The average person would not see these things, but I don't want to see a single line. By the way I used a circular polisher. Not enough working time on the polishing stage, or too much time?

StephenK
12-23-2007, 08:10 PM
you got any pics of what you are refering to? it may just be the paint and nothing you did.

seabreeze
12-23-2007, 09:38 PM
no pics, sorry. it was a 2006 chevy truck so I would think the paint was ok. The client was estactic with the results, but not good enough for me. I want my work to stand up to you guys in the industry, you know what I mean.

Fly bye
12-23-2007, 09:42 PM
You could always repeat the compounding process where the problem area lies.

seabreeze
12-23-2007, 10:32 PM
So after compounding I should not see any holograms, just some swirls that the next steps will addrress?

ASPHALT ROCKET
12-23-2007, 10:41 PM
The wool pads are causing your problem. It takes alot of practice to achieve a hologram free finish with wool. I would switch to a white or green pad with your polishing stage to remove the holograms.

Z06-Goose
12-23-2007, 10:55 PM
I think your second and third step should've been done with a polishing pads to remove the wool pad micromarring

KJW Detailing
12-24-2007, 01:36 AM
i agree with ashalt rocket and zo6-goose...if using a wool pad to compound i would follow that with foam pads in the remaining step...

i create holograms when compounding with the wool pads, so i simply follow that up with a foam pads (although lately i have just been compounding with foam pads)...

Ticman
12-26-2007, 02:16 PM
I agree with the above and will add. I slow down my Makita to 600 rpms for the finishing passes. 99% of the time I have 0 holograms by slowing down.

Tic